Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Any advice or suggestions for cheap tablets? Amazon tabs? Acer/Lenovo?

Good, bad, indifferent or don't bother? Save the money and put it towards an iPad/Alternative?

I'm looking for a reasonably cheap and basic tablet to buy as a gift.

I've seen;

Buy AMAZON Fire HD 8 Tablet (2022) - 32 GB, Black | Currys - £49.99

Buy VENTURER Voyager 7" Tablet - 16 GB, Rose Gold | Currys = £59.99

Buy ACER ACTAB723 7" Tablet - 16 GB, Black | Currys - £59.99 - These first 3 perhaps abit on the small side?

Buy AMAZON Fire HD 10 10.1" Tablet (2023) - 32 GB, Black | Currys - £84.99

Buy ACER ACTAB1024 10.1" Tablet - 32 GB, Gun Grey | Currys - £89.99

Buy LENOVO Tab M9 9" Tablet with Silicone Case - 32 GB, Arctic Grey | Currys - £99.99

As someone who has only used Apple and knows nothing about Android are they similar in ease of use? I assume you can pretty much download the same like-for-like apps? Google news as opposed to Apple news?

I bought one of the fire tablets on sale a couple of years back for my nephew to watch youtube on, good enough for that, but anything else I'd avoid, the fireOS is garbage and full of amazon bloatware, if you want it for android use i'd go for the acer or lenovo ones, more expensive but will be better overall.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, westernpark said:

Blue Screen of Death appeared, attempted to restart and couldn’t. Computer will switch on but nothing appears on screen and won’t even load up Safe Mode. Help!

Do the fans/disks spin? 

Open the case and see if the lights come on on the motherboard. If there's a certain pattern of flashing lights Google the pattern with the brand of motherboard. Those lights are diagnostic info to tell you what's wrong. 

You could try resetting the CMOS while it's open too just in case. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, westernpark said:

Blue Screen of Death appeared, attempted to restart and couldn’t. Computer will switch on but nothing appears on screen and won’t even load up Safe Mode. Help!

Tried running your hdmi/dp into motherboard and not GPU? If the GPU has packed in it won't be outputting anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, casablancas said:

Any thoughts on https://www.chillblast.com/special-edition-pcs/chillblast-opal-amd-ryzen-5-rtx-4060-ti-2tb-ssd-mid-tower-rgb-gaming-pc-1/configure?buildid=1198157&showsummary=true

looking for a gaming pc that’s gonna run for the next 5/6 years. I’ve also got 10% discount 👍🏽

Looks fine.  Got a bit confused as title says 4060ti whilst specs have it down as a 4070 (which is better) so worth getting which one you'd get.  Discount will probably swing to the one you've linked, but a similar PC, with a better cpu, is https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-gamer-rtx-amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-32gb-ddr5-12gb-nvidia-rtx-4070-2tb-m2-ssd-win-11.

One you linked is defintely in the "High" end of spec.

10 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Looks fine.  Got a bit confused as title says 4060ti whilst specs have it down as a 4070 (which is better) so worth getting which one you'd get.  Discount will probably swing to the one you've linked, but a similar PC, with a better cpu, is https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-gamer-rtx-amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-32gb-ddr5-12gb-nvidia-rtx-4070-2tb-m2-ssd-win-11.

One you linked is defintely in the "High" end of spec.

Thanks bud. It’s a Fcuk off to my wife gift to myself lol  

15 minutes ago, casablancas said:

How high end is the 4070ti? Sorry I know **** all lol

The below charts are a bit vague, but should give you an idea of the hierarchy of cards.  There's one for 4k, but I refuse to post it on principles as anyone who utters the word "4k gaming" goes onto my idiot list.  It's a marketing gimmick and for PC gaming there's no need to go about 1440p resolution.

Long term, I'd base a purchase on the 1440p results.  The massive benefit of PC gaming over console gaming is the increased FPS so makes sense to make use of that.  For instance, Hellblade 2 on Series X is going to be 30 fps and Spiderman 2 on PS5 is 60 in performance mode.  When you hit 100-120, the experience is so much better.

Console slandering aside, you can see below the 4070is is ~20% better than the 4070.  This is the problem with PCs, as there's always a better part (unless you get a 4090...).  I put the below so you can see roughly what card is comparable.  They vary per game so use the below is a rough indicator.

Just to make yourself more comfortable, I've put some reviews from my most trusted reviewer at the bottom too (time skipped to the conclusions...).  I put a link to the 4080 super too as that was the most recent release that compares the 4070, 4070ti etc.

GPU benchmarks hierarchy charts

13 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

The below charts are a bit vague, but should give you an idea of the hierarchy of cards.  There's one for 4k, but I refuse to post it on principles as anyone who utters the word "4k gaming" goes onto my idiot list.  It's a marketing gimmick and for PC gaming there's no need to go about 1440p resolution.

Long term, I'd base a purchase on the 1440p results.  The massive benefit of PC gaming over console gaming is the increased FPS so makes sense to make use of that.  For instance, Hellblade 2 on Series X is going to be 30 fps and Spiderman 2 on PS5 is 60 in performance mode.  When you hit 100-120, the experience is so much better.

Console slandering aside, you can see below the 4070is is ~20% better than the 4070.  This is the problem with PCs, as there's always a better part (unless you get a 4090...).  I put the below so you can see roughly what card is comparable.  They vary per game so use the below is a rough indicator.

Just to make yourself more comfortable, I've put some reviews from my most trusted reviewer at the bottom too (time skipped to the conclusions...).  I put a link to the 4080 super too as that was the most recent release that compares the 4070, 4070ti etc.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I’ll have a good long gander and make an informed choice. Do they make that much difference? 

1 minute ago, casablancas said:

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I’ll have a good long gander and make an informed choice. Do they make that much difference? 

Not really tbh.  Only if you push the ray tracing that it starts to matter.