Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

49 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Many thanks for your replies fellas - much appreciated. We've tried different HDMI cables and the same issue, so we know it's not the cable. I also 'degunked' the fan from the back of the PC as it was a bit clogged up and installed the latest drivers, but still this flickering and then black screen issue - that mostly happens as soon as the game starts.

The PC is a Advent Max-i7 with an Intel i7-3770 processor with a DT2(?) motherboard. I've no idea if all this is any good or not!

The graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 770 and apparently my BIL dialed in to my sons PC remotely and said it was 'maxed out' (whatever that means!)

Still sounds like the graphics card is the issue from what I've heard so maybe get a newer one fitted rather than but a whole new PC?

Thanks again for your help :thumbup:

That's knocking on a bit!  The PC you posted would run all the games mentioned well enough, probably want some more storage as we mentioned. 

I went on Scan.co.uk (my preferred PC site who I would recommend to call to discuss the specs you'd need, they're fantastic) to price up the PC you linked.

i5-10400F - £129.98 - CPU

nVidia 1660 Super - £330 (couldn't find in stock at Scan so checked Currys) - GPU

8GB DDR4 (2666MHz) - This is a vague spec but roughly - £37.14 RAM

Mobo? - £99.98 - Again they don't state the spec so I've found one that'd work - MOBO

Now I can't be arsed with the HDD and PSU but that's ~£150 ish.  Point I'm getting at here is that the pre-build "mark up" isn't exorbitant.  If you're not familiar with building a PC it'll arrive and work and comes with a warranty.  Looks ok to me!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beware Tech support at Currys.

My brother in law took his lappy in because the screen was flickering intermittently when switching it on. Their 'top tech' guy said it was a failing connection to the screen. It was going to cost him £60. My B in L said he would think about it.

He decided to go ahead with the repair but showed me the fault just before taking it in.

The screen was fine going through POST/ BIOS it was only when Windows began to load the problem appeared. Obviously, not a dodgy connection.

Updated his graphics driver and it was fine.

I would think the tech guy would have realised that so assume they just charge people for unnecessary work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I need Microsoft word for an online course I'm starting and convinced its a total con is there anything else I can use that has the same functionality or any way of me getting word for free? Any help appreciated. 

https://pc.wps.com/

Pretty good package for a freebie though it does contain ads. 

Or go pirate Microsoft Office. Fairly simple to do. :D

• Thanks 1

I have Windows Defender who identifed three Trojan viruses on my laptop but when I select the option to quarantine them-  Defender takes ages to carry it out and when I do full scan again to check-  these viruses still popped up.   I have tried to locate these viruses in my folder using search facility but were unable to do so.

Any ideas?    I am going to try downloading Avast free anti virus software to see if they can elimante the viruses.

Edited by The Blur

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

I have Windows Defender who identifed three Trojan viruses on my laptop but when I select the option to quarantine them-  Defender takes ages to carry it out and when I do full scan again to check-  these viruses still popped up.   I have tried to locate these viruses in my folder using search facility but were unable to do so.

Any ideas?    I am going to try downloading Avast free anti virus software to see if they can elimante the viruses.

Try Malwarebytes, the free version should be able to do what you need. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Blur said:

as mentioed above, Malware bytes is great.. also spybot maybe useful

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/10/2021 at 11:49, potter3 said:

Try Malwarebytes, the free version should be able to do what you need. 

On 08/10/2021 at 13:08, ozleicester said:

as mentioed above, Malware bytes is great.. also spybot maybe useful

Apologies for the delay in replying-  I have a five months old baby now!

The results were perxpleing-   Defender scan incidated that I have three trojan viruses but this were not picked up by Malwarebytes and Spybots.   Avast and couple of other anti virus softwares did not detect any virsues either.    I have tried to manually look for the virus by searching for the name and file path but cannot find these.   An odd one for sure-  any ideas folks?   I am not sure whether if Malware and Spybot missed it cause they only catch malware/spyware not viruses although I assumed the former is same as viruses?   Anti viruses software did not pick it up either which defeated the theory in the previous sentence anyway.  

Edited by The Blur

16 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Apologies for the delay in replying-  I have a five months old baby now!

The results were perxpleing-   Defender scan incidated that I have three trojan viruses but this were not picked up by Malwarebytes and Spybots.   Avast and couple of other anti virus softwares did not detect any virsues either.    I have tried to manually look for the virus by searching for the name and file path but cannot find these.   An odd one for sure-  any ideas folks?   I am not sure whether if Malware and Spybot missed it cause they only catch malware/spyware not viruses although I assumed the former is same as viruses?   Anti viruses software did not pick it up either which defeated the theory in the previous sentence anyway.  

Malware is the name for any kind of malicious software, so yes it would include viruses.

I'd suggest posting somewhere that has more knowledge than you're likely to find on FT, for example the Malwarebytes forums. Here's a couple of threads from there where people that had a similar issue to you, so hopefully somebody on there could sort you out:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260933-windows-defender-finds-trojan-but-malwarebytes-does-not/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260891-only-defender-full-scan-finds-these-trojans

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, potter3 said:

Malware is the name for any kind of malicious software, so yes it would include viruses.

I'd suggest posting somewhere that has more knowledge than you're likely to find on FT, for example the Malwarebytes forums. Here's a couple of threads from there where people that had a similar issue to you, so hopefully somebody on there could sort you out:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260933-windows-defender-finds-trojan-but-malwarebytes-does-not/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260891-only-defender-full-scan-finds-these-trojans

Thanks Potter-  I'll report back in some time in distant future (!)

All the best

• Like 1

Just updated my iPad to os 15.1 and when I open chrome I get all these mini windows along the bottom.

How do I get rid of them and how do I stop them.

0B7ED8D6-6AD0-46C7-9A8D-C46FACD9DC79.png

14 hours ago, davieG said:

Just updated my iPad to os 15.1 and when I open chrome I get all these mini windows along the bottom.

How do I get rid of them and how do I stop them.

0B7ED8D6-6AD0-46C7-9A8D-C46FACD9DC79.png

Bump

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2021 at 13:58, Izzy said:

A question for the resident PC gamers on here if I may (and I'm old and haven't got a clue about this stuff...)

My 12 year old has a gaming PC that his uncle built for him a few years ago. The monitor kept flicking off and on so we bought him a new monitor and it's still doing the same. The general consensus is that the graphics card is on the way out but apparently the PC can't be upgraded anymore. Long story short, looks like he needs a new gaming PC.

He mainly uses it to play Fortnite, COD and Rocket League, but when he's 13 next year he fancies himself as a YouTuber so will want to do all that nonsense on it too. These gaming PC's cost a fookin fortune and I really don't want to spend over a grand.

Saw this one for £899 at Currys and wondered what you experts think? Will it do the job or will I have to upgrade it again in 12 months?!

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-pcs/acer-nitro-n50-610-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-gtx-1660-super-1-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-10210745-pdt.html

Cheers,

On 05/08/2021 at 14:48, Guest said:

Maybe a stupid question but if the problem wasn't the monitor, is it definitely not the cable connecting it to the graphics card? I assume your son/his uncle would have checked that but thought I'd ask anyway as that's obviously a much cheaper fix. Worth checking if he's got the latest drivers installed as well. What graphics card does he currently have and what's the resolution of the monitor?

As for that link, it's not bad but 8gb ram is on the low end, especially if he's going to be doing stuff like streaming and video editing. He would probably also want most of his games installed on the SSD and that 250gb will get filled up very quickly by the likes of COD. Again, the resolution he wants to play at will determine the sort of specs he needs but none of those games mentioned are especially demanding.

Unfortunately it'll always be more expensive buying pre-built than putting a comparable system together yourself - reckon your lad might enjoy building one together with his uncle? 

On 05/08/2021 at 17:02, Zear0 said:

Computers will generally function without a graphics card (can't play games obviously), might be worth taking it out to see if the flickering still happens without the card fitted, or is it only during games?  Diagnosing what part is faulty can be absolute ballache on a PC but really useful to prevent you having to buy a new PC.

Do you know the current spec of the PC as I'd always challenge that it can't be upgraded?  If you don't know, and you're on Windows 10, type 'System Information' in the search bar at the bottom left.  Key things to note are "processor", "BaseBoard Product (motherboard)" in "System Summary" and 'Name' within Components/Display for the GPU (usually says on the side of the card anyway).

If you do fancy an upgrade, those games are fortunately relatively low on the required juice which is handy.  Multicore processors (AMD rule this domain) are key for streaming and recording as games+OBS can be quite demanding on the processor.  As Guest noted above, recording games requires some big storage.  For context, I did some mucking about myself recently and 1 hour of gameplay @4k was nearly 100GB.

On 05/08/2021 at 17:25, Izzy said:

Many thanks for your replies fellas - much appreciated. We've tried different HDMI cables and the same issue, so we know it's not the cable. I also 'degunked' the fan from the back of the PC as it was a bit clogged up and installed the latest drivers, but still this flickering and then black screen issue - that mostly happens as soon as the game starts.

The PC is a Advent Max-i7 with an Intel i7-3770 processor with a DT2(?) motherboard. I've no idea if all this is any good or not!

The graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 770 and apparently my BIL dialed in to my sons PC remotely and said it was 'maxed out' (whatever that means!)

Still sounds like the graphics card is the issue from what I've heard so maybe get a newer one fitted rather than but a whole new PC?

Thanks again for your help :thumbup:

On 05/08/2021 at 18:28, Zear0 said:

That's knocking on a bit!  The PC you posted would run all the games mentioned well enough, probably want some more storage as we mentioned. 

I went on Scan.co.uk (my preferred PC site who I would recommend to call to discuss the specs you'd need, they're fantastic) to price up the PC you linked.

i5-10400F - £129.98 - CPU

nVidia 1660 Super - £330 (couldn't find in stock at Scan so checked Currys) - GPU

8GB DDR4 (2666MHz) - This is a vague spec but roughly - £37.14 RAM

Mobo? - £99.98 - Again they don't state the spec so I've found one that'd work - MOBO

Now I can't be arsed with the HDD and PSU but that's ~£150 ish.  Point I'm getting at here is that the pre-build "mark up" isn't exorbitant.  If you're not familiar with building a PC it'll arrive and work and comes with a warranty.  Looks ok to me!

@Zear0 and @Guest and any other gaming PC expert on here.

I've just ordered my 13 year old son this PC for Xmas from an online company called AWD-IT.  Please tell me it's O.K. and I haven't bought a bag of nails :( Many thanks.

AWD PATRIOT Intel Core i5 6 Core NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Desktop PC for Gaming

SKU: 3A2-466-EA6

Game Faster - Build Time

Standard 4-6 Working Days

Choose Your Case

Corsair iCUE 4000D AF White + 3X SP120 Elite Fans +£49.96 (Incl. Tax +£59.95)

Choose Your Operating System

Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64 Bit- Installed and Fully Optimised

Upgrade Your Motherboard

MSI Z490 GAMING PLUS +£49.99 (Incl. Tax +£59.99)

Choose Your INTEL CPU

Intel Core I7 10700KF 8 Core 5.1Ghz +£116.66 (Incl. Tax +£139.99)

Choose Your Cooler

Arctic Freezer 7X Performance Cooler +£15.82 (Incl. Tax +£18.99)

PC Memory Upgrade Dual DDR4

** SPECIAL OFFER ** Crucial Ballistix WHITE 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz CAS 15 DDR4 +£20.82 (Incl. Tax +£24.99)

Choose Your PSU

Cooler Master 650W V2 Bronze Rated

Choose Your Primary Storage Drive

**SPECIAL OFFER** Western Digital SN550 1TB NVME M.2 SSD - Read 2400MB/s , Write 1950MB/s +£39.16 (Incl. Tax +£46.99)

Choose Your Secondary Storage Drive

No Drive

Choose Your Internet Security Package

No Internet Security

Choose Your Wifi

Gigabyte 1733MBps Internal Wifi + Bluetooth Card +£21.66 (Incl. Tax +£25.99)

Choose Your RGB Gaming Surface

AWD-IT Cloth Small Gaming Mouse Mat 350mm x 200mm (FREE)

Excl. Tax: £1,064.07
Incl. Tax: £1,276.88

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I've just ordered my 13 year old son this PC for Xmas from an online company called AWD-IT.  Please tell me it's O.K. and I haven't bought a bag of nails :( Many thanks.

Game Faster - Build Time

Choose Your Case

Upgrade Your Motherboard

Choose Your INTEL CPU

Choose Your Cooler

** SPECIAL OFFER ** Crucial Ballistix WHITE 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz CAS 15 DDR4 +£20.82 (Incl. Tax +£24.99)

Choose Your PSU

**SPECIAL OFFER** Western Digital SN550 1TB NVME M.2 SSD - Read 2400MB/s , Write 1950MB/s +£39.16 (Incl. Tax +£46.99)

No Drive

No Internet Security

Choose Your Wifi

Firstly I've heard of AWD-IT so that's always a positive!

Secondly, the build looks really good!  If you're on a 1080p/1440p that'll nail pretty much anything you can chuck at it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Firstly I've heard of AWD-IT so that's always a positive!

Secondly, the build looks really good!  If you're on a 1080p/1440p that'll nail pretty much anything you can chuck at it.

Thanks buddy, that's encouraging to hear! AWD-IT seem to have good reviews so fingers crossed the boy is happy with it :fc:

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Game Faster - Build Time

Choose Your Case

Upgrade Your Motherboard

Choose Your INTEL CPU

Choose Your Cooler

Choose Your PSU

No Drive

No Internet Security

Choose Your Wifi

That's awful, only a 3060?  May as well chuck it straight in the bin, I'll send you an address to send it to for safe dismantling and recycling.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

That's awful, only a 3060?  May as well chuck it straight in the bin, I'll send you an address to send it to for safe dismantling and recycling.

I do hope you're taking the piss as usual mate :unsure:

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

Game Faster - Build Time

Choose Your Case

Upgrade Your Motherboard

Choose Your INTEL CPU

Choose Your Cooler

Choose Your PSU

No Drive

No Internet Security

Choose Your Wifi

What I'd have given to have a rig like that at 13 ffs. lol

He'll be chuffed to bits Izzy.

(Only thing it's really missing is a secondary SSD, but pfffffft not that important)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Innovindil said:

What I'd have given to have a rig like that at 13 ffs. lol

He'll be chuffed to bits Izzy.

(Only thing it's really missing is a secondary SSD, but pfffffft not that important)

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Tbf it's a joint Xmas present from the whole family so he'll be getting fvck all other presents on Xmas day and he knows this :D

Kid fancies himself as a future YouTuber (lol) and couldn't give a shit about school apart from ICT and Maths. He spends every waking hour on his gaming PC so I hope this lasts him a few years!

16 hours ago, Izzy said:

Game Faster - Build Time

Choose Your Case

Upgrade Your Motherboard

Choose Your INTEL CPU

Choose Your Cooler

Choose Your PSU

No Drive

No Internet Security

Choose Your Wifi

Yep as above, that will certainly do. If my parents had bought me that for Christmas I think my head would have exploded. I bet he'll absolutely love it mate.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Guest said:

Yep as above, that will certainly do. If my parents had bought me that for Christmas I think my head would have exploded. I bet he'll absolutely love it mate.

Thanks bud, appreciate that. It's a lot of money to spend and I don't know what I'm doing so good to know you experts think it's O.K. - cheers :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this gaming PC for my lads Xmas present got delivered from AWD-IT as planned.

I opened the big box to check and inside was a main box (the case?) and lots of little boxes (for the fans, motherboard, memory, graphics card etc). The little boxes felt full, so my immediate thought was "FVCK! I've got to build this myself!!!

I assumed it was all 'pre built' but I figured I must have read the website wrong or something. I immediately went onto YouTube to see how to build a PC and after an hour of wanting to top myself, was resigned to the fact I had no chance. Was about to ring my bro in law to ask him to build it before Xmas, but he's in hospital with Pneumonia so I'm screwed.

Decided to ring AWD-IT to ask them to talk me through it, so picked up the delivery note/invoice to get the number.

At the bottom of the note it says 'We have provided the empty boxes for all the component parts as they contain all the relevant leads and instructions you'll need'. 

Lo and behold they are indeed 'empty' boxes and everything is pre fitted. A sighed a sigh of relief while also realizing what a nob I am.

As my old man used to say....always read the instructions! 

• Haha 4