Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

The Steam interface is pure pants on the Steam Deck and mobile. Bought games, verified the purchase in my banking app, Steam failed to process - so now I’ve got thirty days to wait to get my money back. 

Wont be making this mistake again. Never had a problem with CDKeys so I reckon I’ll be sticking with that route in future. 

Need to buy a new laptop for home. 
nothing fancy to be used for homework and to run rekordbox software. 
can anyone recommend where I should look for recommendations?  
I have quite a few old work laptops hanging about. Any thoughts on getting them updated somehow?

• 1 month later...

I'm currently copy pasting notes from a textbook in PDF format. The formatting remains upon pasting to word, so that where a sentence continues onto the line below in the pdf, this also happens in word despite there being space on the same line.

Not a massive issue, but fairly annoying when correcting consitently for hours on end.

Can anybody recommend a workaround, either where I paste with the formatting removed, or edit the word document entirely when I'm done?

12 hours ago, samlcfc said:

I'm currently copy pasting notes from a textbook in PDF format. The formatting remains upon pasting to word, so that where a sentence continues onto the line below in the pdf, this also happens in word despite there being space on the same line.

Not a massive issue, but fairly annoying when correcting consitently for hours on end.

Can anybody recommend a workaround, either where I paste with the formatting removed, or edit the word document entirely when I'm done?

I've probably misinterpreted the problem, but can't you copy the relevant words from the pdf, right-click, paste as pain text? 

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

I've probably misinterpreted the problem, but can't you copy the relevant words from the pdf, right-click, paste as pain text? 

Thanks for the response. Should've mentioned, that was my first and only idea and unfortunately it hadn't worked. It did remove other bits of formatting and so I guess the issue I'm looking at just isn't considered in the process.

To give a better picture in case you have any further ideas, the below is an example.

The text in the pdf is as below, with the bold being what I'd look to copy.

While there are many reasons to believe that experiences of prison will
be detrimental to psychological health (indeed, there is an extensive
literature on the psychological damage that prison can do;
e.g. Edgemon and Clay-Warner, 2019), there is also evidence that
prisons accommodate people whose histories and circumstances are

When pasting to word, it would appears as below inline with how it appeared in the PDF.

There is an extensive
literature on the psychological damage that prison can do;
e.g. Edgemon and Clay-Warner, 2019),

My aim is to have it paste as below:

There is an extensive literature on the psychological damage that prison can do; e.g. Edgemon and Clay-Warner, 2019),

Like I said, not a massive issue, but it irritates me if I don't correct it and over time those seconds add up and break up the flow of reading. Thought for sure they'd be an option to achieve what I want, but I can't find anything searching on the internet.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, samlcfc said:

Thanks for the response. Should've mentioned, that was my first and only idea and unfortunately it hadn't worked. It did remove other bits of formatting and so I guess the issue I'm looking at just isn't considered in the process.

To give a better picture in case you have any further ideas, the below is an example.

The text in the pdf is as below, with the bold being what I'd look to copy.

When pasting to word, it would appears as below inline with how it appeared in the PDF.

My aim is to have it paste as below:

Like I said, not a massive issue, but it irritates me if I don't correct it and over time those seconds add up and break up the flow of reading. Thought for sure they'd be an option to achieve what I want, but I can't find anything searching on the internet.

Thanks!

Hmm bit stumped too. Only fudge I can think of is to paste plain as you have been, highlight the offending text, select find and replace, find ^p and replace with a space. Bit of a bodge but might save a few clicks. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out. 

Edited by Zear0
Awful spelling
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

for some reason... my laptop wont work with my hotspot from my phone anymore?

It says it is connected, but but it doesnt have any internet access... does anyone have any ideas please?

It was fine a day or so ago :(

Away to Poland with work next week so I dug out the gaming laptop to update it for the trip. 

Bloody thing is overheating and crashing with Destiny. Gah. Looks like I’ll have to make do with cloud gaming on the Mac instead. 

45 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Away to Poland with work next week so I dug out the gaming laptop to update it for the trip. 

Bloody thing is overheating and crashing with Destiny. Gah. Looks like I’ll have to make do with cloud gaming on the Mac instead. 

Taken the base off and cleaned the fan?  Those things get dusty as f**k. 

It's not had a large amount of use tbh, it's a backup to a backup - which means it's been used a handful of times at home and on five or six work trips abroad in four years.

I was predominantly a PS5 player - then migrated to my desktop set-up.

Only does it with Destiny, not any other game.

14 minutes ago, Daggers said:

It's not had a large amount of use tbh, it's a backup to a backup - which means it's been used a handful of times at home and on five or six work trips abroad in four years.

I was predominantly a PS5 player - then migrated to my desktop set-up.

Only does it with Destiny, not any other game.

I remember after Witch Queen was released I'd get constant CTD.  Absolute garbage reliability of a game so not surprised to hear that.

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I remember after Witch Queen was released I'd get constant CTD.  Absolute garbage reliability of a game so not surprised to hear that.

It's just this machine tho - the game is still rank with error codes and being booted to orbit. Doesn't crash on any of my other machines, just hotel gaming machine :mad::D

For some reason my computer can no longer access the internet when i hotspot my phone.

The phone is able to access mobile data...

The computer connects to the phone but cannot get anything from the net...

does this help?

image.thumb.png.b001d76d5ad45162d2ddf0775ea1b15e.png

Edited by ozleicester

8 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

For some reason my computer can no longer access the internet when i hotspot my phone.

The phone is able to access mobile data...

The computer connects to the phone but cannot get anything from the net...

does this help?

image.thumb.png.b001d76d5ad45162d2ddf0775ea1b15e.png

Assign a Static IP to Your Laptop

In order for your laptop to get access to the Internet, your Android phone must assign it with an IP address. Sometimes, your phone fails to do this, or it does this incorrectly, and this causes your laptop not to have access to the Internet.

To fix this, you can manually assign a static IP to your laptop. This way, your machine will have its own IP to communicate with the hotspot.

Step 1. Head to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings on your laptop.

Step 2. Right-click on your WiFi adapter and choose Properties.

Step 3. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.

Step 4. Enable Use the following IP address and enter an IP address in the IP address field. You can use something like 192.168.1.30. Then, click OK at the bottom.

-------------

Scratched from the web. I assume you've already tried forgetting and reconnecting to the network. This is what I had to do to get the hotspot working when VM went down the other day. Hope it helps. 

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

In order for your laptop to get access to the Internet, your Android phone must assign it with an IP address. Sometimes, your phone fails to do this, or it does this incorrectly, and this causes your laptop not to have access to the Internet.

To fix this, you can manually assign a static IP to your laptop. This way, your machine will have its own IP to communicate with the hotspot.

Step 1. Head to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings on your laptop.

Step 4. Enable Use the following IP address and enter an IP address in the IP address field. You can use something like 192.168.1.30. Then, click OK at the bottom.

-------------

Scratched from the web. I assume you've already tried forgetting and reconnecting to the network. This is what I had to do to get the hotspot working when VM went down the other day. Hope it helps. 

thanks trying to do this... unsuccessfully so far :)

25 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

-------------

image.png

On 22/06/2023 at 19:49, The boy Linacre said:

I have by accident saved my I Phone photos as HEIC images when I need them to be JPEG's anybody know of a quick free way to make that conversion for about 500 from one drive onto my laptop??

Not used it myself but if your laptop is Windows then this looks like it should be able to do what you need:

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/real-heic-to-jpg-converter/9NM9SN6HHZW3?hl=en-us&gl=us

• 1 month later...

If an expert would like DM me about IPTV that’d be great. I know nothing but found I have an app (and Roku) on my Samsung TV. I know I need a router with vpn, I’m on that, I don’t know how to subscribe to a service that’ll provide my audiovisual entertainment. 

Noddy question- apologies…

I’m on holiday in Rhodes and using Surfshark.

I set my IP location to UK and try to access SkyGo but it says ‘content not available outside of the UK’

If Surfshark is using a UK IP address then how does SkyGo know I’m outside of the UK?

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Noddy question- apologies…

I’m on holiday in Rhodes and using Surfshark.

I set my IP location to UK and try to access SkyGo but it says ‘content not available outside of the UK’

If Surfshark is using a UK IP address then how does SkyGo know I’m outside of the UK?

From past experience: Some popular nodes are blocked by some companies - especially those that are supplied with free versions of VPNs.

If you have the option, try a different UK IP address/location.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Any advice or suggestions for cheap tablets? Amazon tabs? Acer/Lenovo?

Good, bad, indifferent or don't bother? Save the money and put it towards an iPad/Alternative?

I'm looking for a reasonably cheap and basic tablet to buy as a gift.

I've seen;

Buy AMAZON Fire HD 8 Tablet (2022) - 32 GB, Black | Currys - £49.99

Buy VENTURER Voyager 7" Tablet - 16 GB, Rose Gold | Currys = £59.99

Buy ACER ACTAB723 7" Tablet - 16 GB, Black | Currys - £59.99 - These first 3 perhaps abit on the small side?

Buy AMAZON Fire HD 10 10.1" Tablet (2023) - 32 GB, Black | Currys - £84.99

Buy ACER ACTAB1024 10.1" Tablet - 32 GB, Gun Grey | Currys - £89.99

Buy LENOVO Tab M9 9" Tablet with Silicone Case - 32 GB, Arctic Grey | Currys - £99.99

As someone who has only used Apple and knows nothing about Android are they similar in ease of use? I assume you can pretty much download the same like-for-like apps? Google news as opposed to Apple news?

Edited by Matt