Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

GAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I have an old external Hard Drive which is not allowing me to transfer files/folders as i need "administrator Permission"

Ive done all the suggested things like going through properties...adding a new administrator.. and still fkin nothin... does anyone has any suggestions PLEEEEEEASE :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The download speed on my desktop, both on ethernet and wifi is very slow, 6mbsp sometimes, upload speed non existent. On other computers and tablets it's 50mbps +. Is there anything I can do or is it a new computer?

Hoping someone on here can give me their opinion on this build, looking to get a new PC pretty much just for gaming, not looking to spend more than £1000 really

Motherboard: Asrock B365M-PRO4-F

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700F

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz

SSD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 M.2

• 2 weeks later...

hi folks, and easy one im sure.. but buggered of i can remember.

On win10.. when you slide your finger across to the right..it automatically minimizes your window and takes me to desktop.. STOP IT>>YOU BASTARD

Can anyone help please :)

4 hours ago, ozleicester said:

hi folks, and easy one im sure.. but buggered of i can remember.

On win10.. when you slide your finger across to the right..it automatically minimizes your window and takes me to desktop.. STOP IT>>YOU BASTARD

Can anyone help please :)

On a PC so it may work differently but that sounds a lot like what happens when you hit the button on the right of the win10 task bar (bottom-right corner of screen), are you maybe accidentally hitting that?

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

On a PC so it may work differently but that sounds a lot like what happens when you hit the button on the right of the win10 task bar (bottom-right corner of screen), are you maybe accidentally hitting that?

Thanks, im pretty sure it is meant to be a "feature" of win 10... i turned it off my laptop, but cant remember how. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a few upgrades done to my laptop. Lost my local version of Office so had to download it via work Office 365. 

Fine until I go to sign in to authenticate Office, and I get a "Sorry, we are having temporary server problems" error. Over and over again. Trawled through articles and "fixes" to no avail. 

Any help? :please:

32 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Had a few upgrades done to my laptop. Lost my local version of Office so had to download it via work Office 365. 

Fine until I go to sign in to authenticate Office, and I get a "Sorry, we are having temporary server problems" error. Over and over again. Trawled through articles and "fixes" to no avail. 

Any help? :please:

Get a cheap key of ebay, they seem to work, or just get open office.

• 4 weeks later...

Keyboard and mouse not working since Win 10 update. As soon as pc completes BIOS I lose them both.

Doing my head in so much that I thought I'll re install Windows. Big mistake. During installation you need the keyboard and mouse to complete certain steps but they still don't work.

Search the internet for solutions but nothing and if one more 'cure' suggests type such and such into so and so, I'll scream.  The keyboard doesn't work!!!!!!!

I need a solution that doesn't involve using a keyboard or mouse in Windows.  Pretty difficult on a Windows computer.

17 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Keyboard and mouse not working since Win 10 update. As soon as pc completes BIOS I lose them both.

Doing my head in so much that I thought I'll re install Windows. Big mistake. During installation you need the keyboard and mouse to complete certain steps but they still don't work.

Search the internet for solutions but nothing and if one more 'cure' suggests type such and such into so and so, I'll scream.  The keyboard doesn't work!!!!!!!

I need a solution that doesn't involve using a keyboard or mouse in Windows.  Pretty difficult on a Windows computer.

Cheap usb keyboard to get you through the install?

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what I need to be looking for in a new PC or laptop? Things have moved on a lot in the 9 or so years since I was last in the market for one! 

I need it for work mainly, but it would be good if it could run games too, not the triple A titles on ultra or anything like that, plus enough memory to cope with plenty of programs running at once.

Either general specs to look for or recommendations for specific models would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards a laptop at the moment as I'll also be doing a diploma next year where I think the portability will come in handy.

just (foolishly) updated windows and now the laptop wont boot. gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Can anyone offer any suggestions please.... i can get into the bios menu, but dont have any discs as it came preinstalled.... any help much appreciated :)

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I've been using AVG virus scanner for a while now but somebody told me that windows 10 has a virus scanner built in and I don't need it. Is that true.

I have never bothered with AVG, Avast, McAfee etc. and always just used the one included in Windows 10

I download a lot of stuff when I erm... "sale the seas" as it were... whenever I have rarely downloaded something slightly dodgy it blocks it pretty quickly

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A question for the resident PC gamers on here if I may (and I'm old and haven't got a clue about this stuff...)

My 12 year old has a gaming PC that his uncle built for him a few years ago. The monitor kept flicking off and on so we bought him a new monitor and it's still doing the same. The general consensus is that the graphics card is on the way out but apparently the PC can't be upgraded anymore. Long story short, looks like he needs a new gaming PC.

He mainly uses it to play Fortnite, COD and Rocket League, but when he's 13 next year he fancies himself as a YouTuber so will want to do all that nonsense on it too. These gaming PC's cost a fookin fortune and I really don't want to spend over a grand.

Saw this one for £899 at Currys and wondered what you experts think? Will it do the job or will I have to upgrade it again in 12 months?!

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-pcs/acer-nitro-n50-610-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-gtx-1660-super-1-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-10210745-pdt.html

Cheers,

26 minutes ago, Izzy said:

A question for the resident PC gamers on here if I may (and I'm old and haven't got a clue about this stuff...)

My 12 year old has a gaming PC that his uncle built for him a few years ago. The monitor kept flicking off and on so we bought him a new monitor and it's still doing the same. The general consensus is that the graphics card is on the way out but apparently the PC can't be upgraded anymore. Long story short, looks like he needs a new gaming PC.

He mainly uses it to play Fortnite, COD and Rocket League, but when he's 13 next year he fancies himself as a YouTuber so will want to do all that nonsense on it too. These gaming PC's cost a fookin fortune and I really don't want to spend over a grand.

Saw this one for £899 at Currys and wondered what you experts think? Will it do the job or will I have to upgrade it again in 12 months?!

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-pcs/acer-nitro-n50-610-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-gtx-1660-super-1-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-10210745-pdt.html

Cheers,

Maybe a stupid question but if the problem wasn't the monitor, is it definitely not the cable connecting it to the graphics card? I assume your son/his uncle would have checked that but thought I'd ask anyway as that's obviously a much cheaper fix. Worth checking if he's got the latest drivers installed as well. What graphics card does he currently have and what's the resolution of the monitor?

As for that link, it's not bad but 8gb ram is on the low end, especially if he's going to be doing stuff like streaming and video editing. He would probably also want most of his games installed on the SSD and that 250gb will get filled up very quickly by the likes of COD. Again, the resolution he wants to play at will determine the sort of specs he needs but none of those games mentioned are especially demanding.

Unfortunately it'll always be more expensive buying pre-built than putting a comparable system together yourself - reckon your lad might enjoy building one together with his uncle? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Cheers,

Computers will generally function without a graphics card (can't play games obviously), might be worth taking it out to see if the flickering still happens without the card fitted, or is it only during games?  Diagnosing what part is faulty can be absolute ballache on a PC but really useful to prevent you having to buy a new PC.

Do you know the current spec of the PC as I'd always challenge that it can't be upgraded?  If you don't know, and you're on Windows 10, type 'System Information' in the search bar at the bottom left.  Key things to note are "processor", "BaseBoard Product (motherboard)" in "System Summary" and 'Name' within Components/Display for the GPU (usually says on the side of the card anyway).

If you do fancy an upgrade, those games are fortunately relatively low on the required juice which is handy.  Multicore processors (AMD rule this domain) are key for streaming and recording as games+OBS can be quite demanding on the processor.  As Guest noted above, recording games requires some big storage.  For context, I did some mucking about myself recently and 1 hour of gameplay @4k was nearly 100GB.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guest said:

Maybe a stupid question but if the problem wasn't the monitor, is it definitely not the cable connecting it to the graphics card? I assume your son/his uncle would have checked that but thought I'd ask anyway as that's obviously a much cheaper fix. Worth checking if he's got the latest drivers installed as well. What graphics card does he currently have and what's the resolution of the monitor?

As for that link, it's not bad but 8gb ram is on the low end, especially if he's going to be doing stuff like streaming and video editing. He would probably also want most of his games installed on the SSD and that 250gb will get filled up very quickly by the likes of COD. Again, the resolution he wants to play at will determine the sort of specs he needs but none of those games mentioned are especially demanding.

Unfortunately it'll always be more expensive buying pre-built than putting a comparable system together yourself - reckon your lad might enjoy building one together with his uncle? 

8 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Computers will generally function without a graphics card (can't play games obviously), might be worth taking it out to see if the flickering still happens without the card fitted, or is it only during games?  Diagnosing what part is faulty can be absolute ballache on a PC but really useful to prevent you having to buy a new PC.

Do you know the current spec of the PC as I'd always challenge that it can't be upgraded?  If you don't know, and you're on Windows 10, type 'System Information' in the search bar at the bottom left.  Key things to note are "processor", "BaseBoard Product (motherboard)" in "System Summary" and 'Name' within Components/Display for the GPU (usually says on the side of the card anyway).

If you do fancy an upgrade, those games are fortunately relatively low on the required juice which is handy.  Multicore processors (AMD rule this domain) are key for streaming and recording as games+OBS can be quite demanding on the processor.  As Guest noted above, recording games requires some big storage.  For context, I did some mucking about myself recently and 1 hour of gameplay @4k was nearly 100GB.

Many thanks for your replies fellas - much appreciated. We've tried different HDMI cables and the same issue, so we know it's not the cable. I also 'degunked' the fan from the back of the PC as it was a bit clogged up and installed the latest drivers, but still this flickering and then black screen issue - that mostly happens as soon as the game starts.

The PC is a Advent Max-i7 with an Intel i7-3770 processor with a DT2(?) motherboard. I've no idea if all this is any good or not!

The graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 770 and apparently my BIL dialed in to my sons PC remotely and said it was 'maxed out' (whatever that means!)

Still sounds like the graphics card is the issue from what I've heard so maybe get a newer one fitted rather than but a whole new PC?

Thanks again for your help :thumbup: