Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

So this gaming PC for my lads Xmas present got delivered from AWD-IT as planned.

I opened the big box to check and inside was a main box (the case?) and lots of little boxes (for the fans, motherboard, memory, graphics card etc). The little boxes felt full, so my immediate thought was "FVCK! I've got to build this myself!!!

I assumed it was all 'pre built' but I figured I must have read the website wrong or something. I immediately went onto YouTube to see how to build a PC and after an hour of wanting to top myself, was resigned to the fact I had no chance. Was about to ring my bro in law to ask him to build it before Xmas, but he's in hospital with Pneumonia so I'm screwed.

Decided to ring AWD-IT to ask them to talk me through it, so picked up the delivery note/invoice to get the number.

At the bottom of the note it says 'We have provided the empty boxes for all the component parts as they contain all the relevant leads and instructions you'll need'. 

Lo and behold they are indeed 'empty' boxes and everything is pre fitted. A sighed a sigh of relief while also realizing what a nob I am.

As my old man used to say....always read the instructions! 

bellend

• Haha 1

re Ipods (oi, who shouted "Grandad"), I'm looking at them recently for first time in a decade as I need a second one and I've gauged the options being as follows:-

1) No "New" Ipods for sale from Argos etc but Ipod Touches are still available. Don't really want it for those other features, would rather use all the budget for capacity.

2) Can buy new from China, need to pay duty etc though.

3) Buy someone's pre-owned, but declared to be in good nick, from Ebay etc, dubious about this, wear of earphone socket, battery life etc

4) Lastly and most prominently the re-furbished ones, listed as "New", often with added battery size and alternate drive type (flash drive?) for larger Hard drive capacities. Some come with 1 year warranty. Presume the alternate batteries used are safe and compatible with Apple charger and USB charging from PC? This seems the most readily available source.

My question is this, has anyone here had one of those re-furb ones and has it proved to be reliable and for how long have you used it? It would be re-assuring to hear if people have had one for a few years with no problems. Presume they're mostly constructed by people who know what they're doing and although ebay has the feedback comments, most people are feeding back the week it arrives, i don't want to know if it works well after a week! Looking around at the 256GB ones or perhaps 512GB.

Any experiences of this much appreciated

12 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

re Ipods (oi, who shouted "Grandad"), I'm looking at them recently for first time in a decade as I need a second one and I've gauged the options being as follows:-

1) No "New" Ipods for sale from Argos etc but Ipod Touches are still available. Don't really want it for those other features, would rather use all the budget for capacity.

2) Can buy new from China, need to pay duty etc though.

3) Buy someone's pre-owned, but declared to be in good nick, from Ebay etc, dubious about this, wear of earphone socket, battery life etc

4) Lastly and most prominently the re-furbished ones, listed as "New", often with added battery size and alternate drive type (flash drive?) for larger Hard drive capacities. Some come with 1 year warranty. Presume the alternate batteries used are safe and compatible with Apple charger and USB charging from PC? This seems the most readily available source.

My question is this, has anyone here had one of those re-furb ones and has it proved to be reliable and for how long have you used it? It would be re-assuring to hear if people have had one for a few years with no problems. Presume they're mostly constructed by people who know what they're doing and although ebay has the feedback comments, most people are feeding back the week it arrives, i don't want to know if it works well after a week! Looking around at the 256GB ones or perhaps 512GB.

Any experiences of this much appreciated

i loved my ipod when i had it so i dont blame you for wanting a new one, but why not just use your smartphone?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beliall said:

i loved my ipod when i had it so I dont blame you for wanting a new one, but why not just use your smartphone?

I'm looking at new phones too as mine's **** but for that kind of capacity for the music then room for apps, photo's, video etc it would need to be a high capacity one unless you mean use it to stream the music rather than store it which I wouldn't do as I take the IPod to places where there's little or no signal such as beach walks etc. Could be the answer though, just not with my current phone, probably need a 512GB one, weighed up against getting a smaller capacity phone and an Ipod which is two things to carry around rather than one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fazzyfox said:

I'm looking at new phones too as mine's **** but for that kind of capacity for the music then room for apps, photo's, video etc it would need to be a high capacity one unless you mean use it to stream the music rather than store it which I wouldn't do as I take the IPod to places where there's little or no signal such as beach walks etc. Could be the answer though, just not with my current phone, probably need a 512GB one, weighed up against getting a smaller capacity phone and an Ipod which is two things to carry around rather than one.

if it was me i would get a phone with large storage for that reason alone. 256gb is A LOT of tunes though

• Like 1

I now use Windows 11, and it seems to have a glitch that I can only fix by rebooting.

The search icon in the taskbar at the bottom offers me all the usual stuff, but having used it, it eventually leaves a remnant - a strange, almost invisible rectangular box, which I cannot remove and which causes my cursor icon to circle when hovered over it. 

Has anyone else encountered this and know what it is/how to deal with it? TYIA.

On 06/12/2021 at 09:29, HighPeakFox said:

I now use Windows 11, and it seems to have a glitch that I can only fix by rebooting.

The search icon in the taskbar at the bottom offers me all the usual stuff, but having used it, it eventually leaves a remnant - a strange, almost invisible rectangular box, which I cannot remove and which causes my cursor icon to circle when hovered over it. 

Has anyone else encountered this and know what it is/how to deal with it? TYIA.

Ans it doesn't show up as a process in task manager?  Have you tried clicking on it to make sure it's the active 'window' then pressed alt+f4?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks again to @Guest and @Zear0 for the advice on my lads new gaming PC. He absolutely loves it and his FPS is now huge - whatever the fvck that means!

Fantastic to hear! Can remember how happy I was when my old man used to buy me PC stuff when I was younger. Lucky lad 

• Like 1

I'm looking for advice on a new laptop. Mainly for work but probable that fm will make it's way on too 🥴 I have a crap work laptop and an old mac book that's about dead. I don't think spending over about 700 is wise. Any tips? I like the look of this/these but I'm starting to feel old and overwhelmed by the sheer volume and variety of them. Thanks x

Screenshot_20211226-192901_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211225-222617_Chrome.jpg

• 2 months later...

Why is the broadband speed measure websites return varying results?   I understand they all use different testing server (one of them used a server in London when I am in Derbyshire!)  but is there a well known and reliable website that I can use with confidence?

8 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Thanks.   I have used that website before, it only measure download speeds?

What are your parameters for reliable and accurate speed testers?

Does ..Ping.. Dpwnload and Upload .. what were you loking for?

• 2 weeks later...

Recently started a new job and they use Google for everything which after 30 years of using Office is winding me right up. 
any tips on how to get gmail into some sort of functioning inbox instead of a long list of emails?

current annoyances include;

accepted meeting invites staying in the inbox 

inability to group by (sender etc)

there is an extension for outlook but you need office for that to work and they won’t support that request 

hi all... my wifes outlook has stopped connecting and updating on her laptop.

Ive checked all the usual wifi etc and everything else is running fine... just outlook has not updated for 3 days and says it is "working offline"

I cannot find anyway to fix this.. or how to remove the app or get help.. grr.. any assistance will be appreciated :)

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2022 at 07:28, ozleicester said:

hi all... my wifes outlook has stopped connecting and updating on her laptop.

Ive checked all the usual wifi etc and everything else is running fine... just outlook has not updated for 3 days and says it is "working offline"

I cannot find anyway to fix this.. or how to remove the app or get help.. grr.. any assistance will be appreciated :)

Has she changed her password ?

• 1 month later...

Bumping this as I've just built a new PC. Decided to put it all together myself for the first time. Was fairly easy, just took time double checking everything with manuals. Cable management to make everything look nice and neat and tucked away took the most time. No RGB nonsense, windows and lights flashing everywhere as its a bedroom PC so needs to be quiet and dark. Didn't bother with AIO water cooler, as I don't push the hardware enough to warrant it. I do occasional video editing and VR gaming/video.

Spec:
Case - BeQuiet! Silent Base 600
CPU - Intel i5-12600k
Cooler - BeQuiet! Dark Rock Slim
MOBO - Asus Prime Z690-A
RAM - 2 x 8GB DDR5 Kingston Beast Fury 4800Mhz CL38
GPU - Nvidia GTX1650 SUPER (from my old system)
PSU - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 650W 80+Gold
Storage - 500GB WD Black SN750 Nvme (from my old system)
Storage - Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB 7200rpm HDD (from my old system)

Also used an old 120mm Noctua fans for the rear exhaust, and a couple of new 140mm Silent Wings fans from Be Quiet behind the front panel for intake.

I know I went too powerful on CPU, Mobo and RAM with the DDR5 setup, but I don't upgrade very often so wanted a DDR5/PCI-e 5.0 setup to last me several years.

This is the case, and the pic of inside once it was all built and cable managed.

be-quiet!-silent-base-600-midi-tower-ora

IMG-20220602-202451.jpg

20 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Bumping this as I've just built a new PC. Decided to put it all together myself for the first time. Was fairly easy, just took time double checking everything with manuals. Cable management to make everything look nice and neat and tucked away took the most time. No RGB nonsense, windows and lights flashing everywhere as its a bedroom PC so needs to be quiet and dark. Didn't bother with AIO water cooler, as I don't push the hardware enough to warrant it. I do occasional video editing and VR gaming/video.

Spec:
CPU - Intel i5-12600k
MOBO - Asus Prime Z690-A

Also used an old 120mm Noctua fans for the rear exhaust, and a couple of new 140mm Silent Wings fans from Be Quiet behind the front panel for intake.

I know I went too powerful on CPU, Mobo and RAM with the DDR5 setup, but I don't upgrade very often so wanted a DDR5/PCI-e 5.0 setup to last me several years.

This is the case, and the pic of inside once it was all built and cable managed.

IMG-20220602-202451.jpg

Looks great! Did a good job there

"No RGB nonsense"... For shame

31 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Spec:
CPU - Intel i5-12600k
MOBO - Asus Prime Z690-A

IMG-20220602-202451.jpg

Good work looks great. My stepdad always builds his own pc. Will show him yours and specs if ok with you?

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/06/2022 at 22:41, The Bear said:

I don't mind the look, but in a dark room next to a 4K TV it would be too intrusive and distracting. 

Started looking at parts to order for my new build next week. Can’t decide on processsor yet but am 100% going for lots of RGB nonsense  🤣

if you don’t mind me asking how much did it all cost?  I’m buying all but PSU & GFX card as will take from current pc as they both are still quite new. I’m guessing the most expensive is going to be the CPU. 

@Suzie the Fox

Without the bits I already had and re-used (hard drives and a fan) it was just under £800. The CPU will definitely be the most expensive then probably the motherboard. 

Places like PC Part Picker or User Benchmark will point you to the cheapest places. Then I just Google shopping searched to check they were the cheapest place. Mainly places like AriaPC, Box and Amazon. I bought my Mobo direct from Asus. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1