Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countesthorpe Fox 1884

Heskey Returns to Leicester City

Give him a shirt for saturday cant do any worse than the current lot

Heskey's side didn't start incredibly when they were promoted and only survived with two games to play. Hopefully this group will be even better, don't write them off yet.

From Leicester to Bangkok: Heskey contemplates Asian swansong

A Leicester City ambassador in Asia who won two League Cup titles with his boyhood club, Emile Heskey still hasn't closed the door on a playing comeback.

Emile Heskey's new love affair with Thailand could see the former England and Liverpool striker make a playing comeback in the Thai Premier League. The 36-year-old was last week named as an ambassador to his hometown club, Leicester City, for their Thailand International Academy, which opens in January.

The Premier League side are owned by King Power, a Thai duty-free retail group. Heskey was in Bangkok for the academy launch and to be a judge in a competition to recruit the best Thai teenage footballers. And in May he spent his honeymoon exploring some of the Thai tropical islands with his wife, Chantelle.

He hasn't played since April when he ended a two-year contract as the marquee player for the Newcastle Jets, in Australia's A-League. But as Heskey struts his stuff in legends' events in Southeast Asia this month, he's left the door open for a professional return. "I definitely haven't retired yet and I'm discussing the option of playing in Thailand," he told ESPN FC. "But nothing has been decided as yet." 

Heskey should find the pace easier to handle than the frenetic Thai league when he joins former teammates Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman and Patrik Berger in a testimonial game for retiring Singapore striker Aleksandar Duric on Saturday. Veterans like Fandi Ahmad, V. Sundramoorthy and Malek Awab are likely to feature, alongside Duric, for the local XI at Singapore's Jalan Besar Stadium. 

Next week, Reds' legends, including Heskey, will be playing more exhibition matches in Thailand, under the management of Anfield icon, Ian Rush.

Heskey most recently played for the Newcastle Jets in Australia's A-League, scoring 10 goals in 42 games.

Whether or not he laces on the boots again as a professional in the AFC region, Heskey is excited about his new ambassadorial role. He says that he was impressed by the skill level of the aspiring Thai players -- from five regions across the country -- as he watched them in trials last week. "Leicester City and King Power searched the whole length and breadth of Thailand looking for talented 15 and 16 year olds and I saw the last 108 kids," he said.

"They had five days playing games every day, which was very hard because of the weather. By day five, we got it down to what we thought were the best 16 and they were a credit to themselves. There were some very talented youngsters in the group."

The 16 successful recruits also passed academic tests during the tryouts. They will move to the UK in January to join Leicester's academy where they will combine school studies with football training and development. Jon Rudkin, Leicester City's academy director, said: "The young people identified for the pilot [scheme] have been selected not simply for their ability as footballers but for their potential to broadly benefit from what will be an intense academic experience."

Heskey knows what it is like to come through the Leicester City youth ranks, having joined their academy at the age of just 10 before making his first-team debut seven years later. He spent six years with the Foxes until moving to Liverpool in 2000 for 11 million pounds, a Leicester club record. He says that working on the Thailand project reminds him of his own fledgling days. "It's a great honour to represent my hometown club as an ambassador because it is where it all started for me," Heskey said. "They put a lot of faith in me and are one of the reasons I had the career that I did." 

Emile was our outlet ball in the O'Neil era.

Like many during that time we got the best out of him and when the club were in financial meltdown in 2002 he put his hand in his own pocket to help the club.

He was always a total scapegoat for England when he was often one of the best players but always got stick from the pundits e.g England vs USA when he set up Gerrard for the goal and Green threw one in his own net and they were still going on about Heskey.

Legend is over used but to me and many others from 1995 to 2000 he was absolutely awesome and then 2 years later he came back to help save the club.

Legend he definately is and it's great news to have him back with the club.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived