Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arriba Los Zorros

Play Nugent and drop Ulloa?

On the ball Nugent is decent, but Ulloa scored today. Vardy offers near to no goal-scoring threat but works hard, but is that good enough? Vardy could be dropped but I have my doubts as to how Nugent and Ulloa play together

Probably better than Vardy and Ulloa. Ulloa is a penalty box player, so is Vardy, Nuge played the withdrawn striker last season well. I think he'd be better for linking the midfield and Ulloa, while at the moment Ulloa and Vardy are wasted because they're left stranded from the midfield.

No (genuinely) and I'm not trolling either. I'm at work now (...) so clearly not pissed and stick by what I said.  May be an unpopular opinion, but let me explain.

Last year we were more than the sum of our parts, and it was due to established partnerships over the pitch - James + Drinky, Konch + Lloyd, Wes+ Liam and Nuge + Vardy. These players complemented each other well and were appropriate to play a certain style - ie pressing, winning the ball back in advanced areas, possession football HIGH UP THE PITCH. Plus everyone moved the ball on quickly making us dangerous. I think we can agree this worked well and is what got us promoted.

Ulloa is the antithesis of this - slow and ponderous in possession. He requires 4 or 5 touches to sort his feet out and thus slows down play losing the ball more often than not. We can;t build attacks with him linking up. For me, he has destabilised our team and stops us playing to our strengths, but more importantly, he has broken up a good partnership that are vital to how our team played.

To present a balanced argument, I can see that as a forward he is decent and maybe the best of what he have individually. He's a goal scorer and a great header of the ball. He wins a lot of the crap we pump to him. He would be very effective for a team like West Ham who get the ball out to wingers quickly and get balls in the box. But that's not us! We don;t have the players for it. Nigel is trying to play a half-way house between long ball / crosses to Ulloa and our possession based-style last year and it is confusing everyone. we need to back ourselves and believe in our ability, and play the same players and style of play as last year. 

Stick with iit,  sometimes minority opinions incite scorn and derision,

i agree entirely, if ulloa had played for us last season i doubt if we would have got promoted let alone finished as champions.

the goal he scored against villa a chimpanzee could have scored, as stated football is a team game, if we had the same

team playing that won the championship[ last year its a fair bet we would be out of the bottom three at least.

Since Cottee leicester city have never had an out and out goalscorer....guess what everyone?

We buy one, he is succeeding.....and now our moronic fans want to drop him!!!!

mahrez and Knockaert are the only players we have capable of playing that special pass on the ground through to ulloa......whereas Albrighton and Knockaert are the only players capable of decent delivery.

So why don't we try playing either mahrez behind ulloa....albrighton and knockaert out wide?

If ulloa does 'nothing but score goals'....the answer isn't drop him for someone who runs around a bit more, it is to drop them and play more creative players.

Probably better than Vardy and Ulloa. Ulloa is a penalty box player, so is Vardy, Nuge played the withdrawn striker last season well. I think he'd be better for linking the midfield and Ulloa, while at the moment Ulloa and Vardy are wasted because they're left stranded from the midfield.

Nugent is better connecting the midfield/attack than Ulloa and vardy...

But he isn't good enough.

Tony or riyad need a chance to play there...as their movement and quality on the ball is a lot better.

Nugent is better connecting the midfield/attack than Ulloa and vardy...

But he isn't good enough.

Tony or riyad need a chance to play there...as their movement and quality on the ball is a lot better.

Yeah but their banter isnt as good.

#bantz

Since Cottee leicester city have never had an out and out goalscorer....guess what everyone?

We buy one, he is succeeding.....and now our moronic fans want to drop him!!!!

mahrez and Knockaert are the only players we have capable of playing that special pass on the ground through to ulloa......whereas Albrighton and Knockaert are the only players capable of decent delivery.

So why don't we try playing either mahrez behind ulloa....albrighton and knockaert out wide?

If ulloa does 'nothing but score goals'....the answer isn't drop him for someone who runs around a bit more, it is to drop them and play more creative players.

I like this idea of playing all 3 but I would put knockaert in the middle just purely for pace reasons but as you said can still pick out the passes, mahrez looks more comfortable on the left and will hold his width that side and actually cross without having to cut inside or check back for his left foot

Father of Leicester striker Nugent was led away by stewards after attempting to speak to Nigel Pearson as he took his seat before kick-off.

And Nugent was not in the squad.

Leicester striker Nugent. Thanks for clarifying. I thought he was playing right back for Aldershot.

Father of Leicester striker Nugent was led away by stewards after attempting to speak to Nigel Pearson as he took his seat before kick-off.

And Nugent was not in the squad.

So this is who has been abusing Nige...

Nugent has been poor for some of this season, but guess what - plenty of others have been shocking

If there's only room for one then I think he adds a lot more than Vardy, who in a very good team performance only did one thing of note in the whole game, a run down the wing and good cross on the counterattack.

Nugent presses opposition harder & links up with midfield better

We look like our old selves with him on pressing and linking up enabling us to build pressure. So much better than the lump ulloa who can't run and play one touch football and thus encourages long ball. Play nuge and vardy let's go back to what worked last season please!

No, just no.

Archived