Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arriba Los Zorros

Play Nugent and drop Ulloa?

Thought Ulloa did a cracking job today. held the ball up really well and grabbed a goal. I can't knock Nugent either non stop work rate, defended well and nearly grabbed a wonder goal. Mahrez and Schulpp were our downfall today. If we play 2 up top those two need to do much better. Both very wasteful in possession. They gave the ball away far too much too easily and the first touch needs improving.

Before QPR I may have agreed, had Nuge not been in even worse form than Leo. At least both looked lively-ish today.

There's a familiarity between Nuge & Vardy that could be useful, but they're essentially both Champo players, which is a bit of an issue. We're also screwed from set plays without Ulloa...

It will probably happen if that injury (ankle?) is serious enough to keep him out for longer than a week.

He looked good until we bought Wood on, then I didn't see him for the rest of the game.

Ulloa was ok and managed to tuck that chance away although I'd of been pretty worried if our right back on a Sunday morning had missed that. 

I think people who are pointing at different area's of the pitch whilst saying "that's the problem" need to realize the whole team's the problem.

It will probably happen if that injury (ankle?) is serious enough to keep him out for longer than a week.

He looked good until we bought Wood on, then I didn't see him for the rest of the game.

Ulloa was ok and managed to tuck that chance away although I'd of been pretty worried if our right back on a Sunday morning had missed that. 

I think people who are pointing at different area's of the pitch whilst saying "that's the problem" need to realize the whole team's the problem.

this is harsh, but fingers crossed.....

Drop the player who scored today and (essentially) scored against Liverpool and keep a guy in the side in Vardy who hasn't looked like scoring all season except one time against United.

Vardy always gives 100% and I feel sorry for him that our ONLY tactic is to play the long ball for him to chase but he is not good enough for this level. All effort and bluster but largely (if not totally) to zero effect.

Anyone who thinks Ulloa should be dropped is ****ing insane.

Ulloa should play. What team drops their only source of goals?

This thread is another that is ridiculous.

I can't believe some of the stuff I read on here. It's beyond the pale.

In the past few months, we've had 'Ballotelli is a great buy', 'Cambiasso is world class', 'we're going to make Europe' and now 'let's drop Ulloa'....

Christ almighty..

Ulloa should play. What team drops their only source of goals?

This thread is another that is ridiculous.

I can't believe some of the stuff I read on here. It's beyond the pale.

In the past few months, we've had 'Ballotelli is a great buy', 'Cambiasso is world class', 'we're going to make Europe' and now 'let's drop Ulloa'....

Christ almighty..

Dropping Vardy would make more sense. Ulloa, as you say, is our only source of goals at the moment but is being forced to play behind Vardy, who hasn't looked like scoring or getting close to scoring for a while, in a role better suited for Nugent. Drop Vardy and start with Ulloa up front and Nugent behind him.

We look like our old selves with him on pressing and linking up enabling us to build pressure. So much better than the lump ulloa who can't run and play one touch football and thus encourages long ball. Play nuge and vardy let's go back to what worked last season please!

Just a guess here. We're you pissed when you either watched the game, or when you started this thread? Ulloa played very well until getting crocked. Before you throw it back - I was sober, and remain so.

Just a guess here. We're you pissed when you either watched the game, or when you started this thread? Ulloa played very well until getting crocked. Before you throw it back - I was sober, and remain so.

No (genuinely) and I'm not trolling either. I'm at work now (...) so clearly not pissed and stick by what I said.  May be an unpopular opinion, but let me explain.

Last year we were more than the sum of our parts, and it was due to established partnerships over the pitch - James + Drinky, Konch + Lloyd, Wes+ Liam and Nuge + Vardy. These players complemented each other well and were appropriate to play a certain style - ie pressing, winning the ball back in advanced areas, possession football HIGH UP THE PITCH. Plus everyone moved the ball on quickly making us dangerous. I think we can agree this worked well and is what got us promoted.

Ulloa is the antithesis of this - slow and ponderous in possession. He requires 4 or 5 touches to sort his feet out and thus slows down play losing the ball more often than not. We can;t build attacks with him linking up. For me, he has destabilised our team and stops us playing to our strengths, but more importantly, he has broken up a good partnership that are vital to how our team played.

To present a balanced argument, I can see that as a forward he is decent and maybe the best of what he have individually. He's a goal scorer and a great header of the ball. He wins a lot of the crap we pump to him. He would be very effective for a team like West Ham who get the ball out to wingers quickly and get balls in the box. But that's not us! We don;t have the players for it. Nigel is trying to play a half-way house between long ball / crosses to Ulloa and our possession based-style last year and it is confusing everyone. we need to back ourselves and believe in our ability, and play the same players and style of play as last year. 

Ulloa's had, what?, 12 clear chances this season, and has scored 6 and responsible for an own goal through his own work.

Give him a chance and more than likely he'll take it. Nugent was improved yesterday but Ulloa shouldn't be dropped. Vardy has been the most concerning this season given Ulloa's impressive form and the expectation of Nugent.

Archived