fox_favourite Posted 21 July 2015 Posted 21 July 2015 Just been thinking about how Ranieri will play out the transfer window and how he will select players. Do people reckon that the club (or Ranieri more to the point) will continue to look at the mentality of a player as well as the ability? Recruitment over the past few years have focused on both attributes when looking for a player. I think they should as it showed last season that all the players pulled together as they were all fighters and wanted to work as a team. Are other people worried that some of the new signings may be just based on ability alone. I feel this important thing to consider to go forward. Glad to hear your views
BlueTillIDie Posted 21 July 2015 Posted 21 July 2015 Who knows, the jury is still out. Hopefully he will take into consideration abilty and mentality but i think he will favor abilty and the odd loose cannon. In Ranieri we trust?..........not yet
Harry - LCFC Posted 21 July 2015 Posted 21 July 2015 I fully agree. Pearson insisted upon players having the right attitude every time he made a signing. I admit I allowed myself to get carried away by the big names and big deals in the Sven era. Now I'm more interested in the kind of personality a player has, not just their reputation. If players don't apply themselves or fit in with the squad ethic they probably won't contribute enough.
ARM1968 Posted 21 July 2015 Posted 21 July 2015 We'll only know this when some signings are made and we can examine the sort of player they are. However the sort of players we need to push on might not quite have fitted the Pearson criteria. I guess we will see soon but we need a midfield boost now.
Collymore Posted 22 July 2015 Posted 22 July 2015 Pearson signed yes men for a reason - he couldn't handle no men. Gradel was a prime example of this. I know some people on here didn't like him but he had so much potential and Pearson couldn't channel it and it was excruciating watching him being sold for 250k knowing that he'd go on to greater things. I'm not saying this is always necessarily a bad thing but it restricted us from signing certain talent out there because Pearson would have been at loggerheads with them. A truly top class manager can handle all types and integrate all personalities. There is an exception to the rule. Players like Balotelli are beyond help, Rodgers found this is out the hard way.
Asherz Posted 22 July 2015 Posted 22 July 2015 Pearson was what is generally seen upon as a bully ... The whole story will be out soon Pearson was what is generally seen upon as a bully ... The whole story will be out soon
Wilson_6 Posted 22 July 2015 Posted 22 July 2015 Pearson signed yes men for a reason - he couldn't handle no men. Gradel was a prime example of this. I know some people on here didn't like him but he had so much potential and Pearson couldn't channel it and it was excruciating watching him being sold for 250k knowing that he'd go on to greater things. I'm not saying this is always necessarily a bad thing but it restricted us from signing certain talent out there because Pearson would have been at loggerheads with them. A truly top class manager can handle all types and integrate all personalities. There is an exception to the rule. Players like Balotelli are beyond help, Rodgers found this is out the hard way. I'd put Ben Marshall in there with Gradel too.
Finnaldo Posted 22 July 2015 Posted 22 July 2015 Pearson was what is generally seen upon as a bully ... The whole story will be out soon Pearson was what is generally seen upon as a bully ... The whole story will be out soon That's funny as Vardy said it was Pearson and the coaching staff that encouraged him to keep at it when people like you were probably belittling him and saying he was out of his depth. And bullying? Bully who? Our squad? You think Pearson could bully Huth and Wasyl? Get your head out of the sand pal.
Captain... Posted 24 July 2015 Posted 24 July 2015 Hopefully this will still be part of Walsh's scouting criteria. We have only lost Pearson we have not thrown all of our principles out the window. Ranieri wants to continue the good work we have done so far and not rip it all out and start again, hopefully he will be guided by Shakespeare, Walsh and Rudkin on how we have been doing things.
RoboFox Posted 24 July 2015 Posted 24 July 2015 I've been thinking the same thing. I think it's fair to say that Pearson based his transfer policy and squad selection on the mental attributes of players, rather than the technical ones. It's why we've seen so many players fall out of favour over the years, and it's arguably been a huge part of our success. If Ranieri doesn't favour this style of policy, it makes you wonder... Will the likes of Nugent feature much this season? He's clearly got a good attitude, but is certainly no technician. Will we begin to see the arrival of what could be perceived as billy big b*****ks players again? I happen to think not given that the scouting infrastructure has been left largely intact.
dedlock Posted 25 July 2015 Posted 25 July 2015 It wasn't just NP that identified and assessed new recruits,that backroom remains. From remarks he made last week it seems CR was surprised at the facilities,quality and professional set-up at Belvoir Drive. He will have the same reports on mental attributes, attitude etc.as would be available to NP.
VLC86 Posted 25 July 2015 Posted 25 July 2015 I'd put Ben Marshall in there with Gradel too. He has hardly gone on to bigger and better things has he?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.