Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

To survive as a Tory teacher, you have to keep quiet

Disgusting, but not at all surprising.

Of course teachers are mainly leftists - like all public sector workers, they're going to vote for the party who will, ostensibly, pay them more money. I don't actually blame them for this.

What is so galling, however, is that this greed is hidden under a transparent veneer of compassionate altruism. 

The scenario quoted above typifies the arrogance, blinkeredness and hypocrisy of many dyed-in-the-wool leftists. The idea that 'all tories are thick' is not only patronising and stupid, but totally converse to the very reasonable assertion that the only people who could possibly oppose budget cuts are those who don't actually understand economics.  

I'm married to a teacher and several of my best friends are teachers. One thing they ALL - without exception - have in common is that they don't know how to manage money and they don't understand anything vaguely business related. They live in a scholastic bubble, from which it's very easy to be blinkered from the real world outside.

What do they teach?

I think the saddest thing about this article and some of the replies is the disdain and attack on teachers who do an essential and very difficult task. We are nothing without a good education.

Disgusting, but not at all surprising.

Of course teachers are mainly leftists - like all public sector workers, they're going to vote for the party who will, ostensibly, pay them more money. I don't actually blame them for this.

Or maybe because they'd like to be able to do their job and treat pupils as people rather than another data point? Not everything is about money

As far as I'm aware there's not any Tory teachers at Groby which is pretty odd considering it's in a Tory safe seat, my history teacher is fervently left wing and usually she does a good job of letting us decide for ourselves. One of the units is Britain under Thatcher, she doesn't like Thatcher at all but she's objective enough to see the positives and teach it from a neutral standpoint which is all that matters really although I'd say some of the kids in my class are swayed by the occasional half serious remarks about the Tories.

My media class (I ****ed up year 12, taking media was the least mind numbing option) is taught by a less objective teacher than seems to avoid any kind of negative image of foreign people or immigration issues even when she shouldn't which I don't think is particularly helpful.

As far as I'm aware there's not any Tory teachers at Groby which is pretty odd considering it's in a Tory safe seat, my history teacher is fervently left wing and usually she does a good job of letting us decide for ourselves. One of the units is Britain under Thatcher, she doesn't like Thatcher at all but she's objective enough to see the positives and teach it from a neutral standpoint which is all that matters really although I'd say some of the kids in my class are swayed by the occasional half serious remarks about the Tories.

My media class (I ****ed up year 12, taking media was the least mind numbing option) is taught by a less objective teacher than seems to avoid any kind of negative image of foreign people or immigration issues even when she shouldn't which I don't think is particularly helpful.

There was only one when I was there nearly twenty years ago so I can imagine what it's like now. Glad that they manage to teach from a neutral standpoint although I remember being in classrooms full of Tories tearing teachers apart growing up at Groby so they probably know what's coming if they try it, in fact at that time I was one of the sole voices from the left lol

I can't remember her name but one of the heads of year was a raving feminazi, the sort who would write for the new statesman about central heating being sexist, my humanities teacher was a lovely guy, Mr Aucott but his political bias was there for all to see, I swear every single piece of reference material we were given came from the Guardian or the Independent.

As if any press in Moscow would be allowed to be left wing now.

As for the Daily Mail it's certainly far more moderate than it's critics claim.

Not sure it's quite left wing yet, a lot of the columnists in the Mail on Sunday are though.

Peter Hitchins almost seems to be going back to his communist days with some of his recent stuff.

As if any press in Moscow would be allowed to be left wing now.

As for the Daily Mail it's certainly far more moderate than it's critics claim.

Not sure it's quite left wing yet, a lot of the columnists in the Mail on Sunday are though.

Peter Hitchins almost seems to be going back to his communist days with some of his recent stuff.

I'm sorry Matt, but what exactly are you taking as your reference point here? The Express?

I see your point about the hyperbole but the Daily Mail is solidly, unequivocally on the populist right wing side of the spectrum in the same way the Mirror is on the left.

No way is the Mirror comparable, this is a newspaper that has backed Labour at every election since the 50's, they even asked people to vote for Foot and even can't bring themselves to laugh at Corbyn along with the rest of us.

I rarely read the Daily Mail but I read the Mail on Sunday quite often and all it seems to do now is just bash Cameron and the Tories every week, Hitchins and McElvoy are often scathing.

No way is the Mirror comparable, this is a newspaper that has backed Labour at every election since the 50's, they even asked people to vote for Foot and even can't bring themselves to laugh at Corbyn along with the rest of us.

I rarely read the Daily Mail but I read the Mail on Sunday quite often and all it seems to do now is just bash Cameron and the Tories every week, Hitchins and McElvoy are often scathing.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/may/04/general-election-newspaper-support

As the Mail (and the Telegraph too, actually) has backed the Tories at every election since the 1950's.

The idea that the Mail is anywhere other than right-wing, be it close to centre or even left, is simply ridiculous. It's a socially conservative newspaper for middle England. Having a couple of opinion columnists that are criticising the current government (possibly for not being rightwing enough) doesn't really tip the balance.

The Mail backs a coalition one time on that graph but yeah it shows how pathetic the Mirror and Telegraph are.

As i said though, my thoughts were based on reading the Mail on Sunday over the last few months and they certainly aren't bashing the gov for not being right wing enough.

The Mail ( I'm expecting ridicule for this) is the most anti establishment paper out there, it has a go at everybody.It definitely has a right wing bias but that doesn't mean it sucks up to the Tories.

One of my sad little passions is reading ratings from TV shows and figures from Newspaper sales. :ph34r:

The Mail on Sunday is only 100,000 behind The Sun on Sunday now in circulation, if that oace continues then it will be the top selling Sunday paper in 2017, the first time The Sun/News of the World will have been knocked off the top spot since before the First World War.

I can see why as well, I never read the Daily Mail but the Mail on Sunday is a fantastic read, the investigations and political reporting are second only to the Sunday Times imo and it's still only £1.60.

One of my sad little passions is reading ratings from TV shows and figures from Newspaper sales. :ph34r:

The Mail on Sunday is only 100,000 behind The Sun on Sunday now in circulation, if that oace continues then it will be the top selling Sunday paper in 2017, the first time The Sun/News of the World will have been knocked off the top spot since before the First World War.

I can see why as well, I never read the Daily Mail but the Mail on Sunday is a fantastic read, the investigations and political reporting are second only to the Sunday Times imo and it's still only £1.60.

People still read. Papers.

People still read. Papers.

Absolutely, you have to pay for quality journalism these days as all the free sites now seem to engage in clickbait wars, but if you want incisive reporting and more importantly good investigative reporting that will ruin the rich and powerful's Sunday breakfast then you can still get it.

Ask and you shall receive:

lol lol lol lol lol lol

Is there a more anti establishment paper? Maybe the Sun but they're not really a serious paper.

The Mail on Sunday is the only paper I buy, well worth £1.60

This is making a very interesting read. I'm not going to say much, except I think that was is and isn't left-wing has become warped by decades of inescapable repetition that what we have now is 'normal' and 'moderate'.

I'll add that I know people of all political persuasions, and as someone else said, the way one votes does not define the quality of the character. I may loathe our current incumbent government, but not those that voted for it.

Archived