Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Would you take Gillespie back?

With Keith Gillespie contributing a lot to Sheff Utd's league position so far and playing a lot better, would you theoretically rather have him at the club at the moment rather than Momo Sylla who doesn't really appear to be performing at the moment? Just another topic for debate ;)

With Keith Gillespie contributing a lot to Sheff Utd's league position so far and playing a lot better, would you theoretically rather have him at the club at the moment rather than Momo Sylla who doesn't really appear to be performing at the moment? Just another topic for debate ;)

I think Sylla is contributing as much if not more than Gillespie ever did he also has more potential from an age perspective. Call me cynical but I suspect his improvement has a lot to do with the contract he's on. So no!

I think Sylla is contributing as much if not more than Gillespie ever did he also has more potential from an age perspective. Call me cynical but I suspect his improvement has a lot to do with the contract he's on. So no!

You can call me a cynic as well - performance related contract - all of a sudden he cares -correlation perhaps?

Although Momo hasn't impressed me in many of the competitive games, I still think he offers a greater threat than Gillespie would've. We haven't got a great headerer of a ball upfront at the moment anyway so whipped in balls for strikers to attack aren't as important. Low balls into the danger area like Sylla did against Sheff Wed are more useful. Gillespie was decent in his last season with us but it wasn't difficult for him to be better than he was during his first season. The fact that his contract was up at the end of the season might have been a reason for his increased efforts.

Gillespie is a casualty of City's demand that Levein keep cutting the wage bill. I'm not so sure he was consistent enough to be asked back (though if LCFC would have taken him back with a pay cut, I'm not so sure that he'd come back anyway).

Yeah, I know Dublin's been brought back even though he's not an everyday starter, but he's versatile and he's a good leader. Momo Sylla can't cross nearly as well as Gillespie can when he's on (or when he tries?) but he's got to be on lower salary and could play right back if we've got a few injuries and suspensions at that position.

But if we're speaking of hypothetical situations, if Leicester were in a hypothetical healthy financial state, they could hypothetically sign a hypothetical right wing of higher quality. ;)

P.S.: Damn, that "Quick Edit" function is brilliant.

Gillespie is a casualty of City's demand that Levein keep cutting the wage bill. I'm not so sure he was consistent enough to be asked back (though if LCFC would have taken him back with a pay cut, I'm not so sure that he'd come back anyway).

Yeah, I know Dublin's been brought back even though he's not an everyday starter, but he's versatile and he's a good leader. Momo Sylla can't cross nearly as well as Gillespie can when he's on (or when he tries?) but he's got to be on lower salary and could play right back if we've got a few injuries and suspensions at that position.

But if we're speaking of hypothetical situations, if Leicester were in a hypothetical healthy financial state, they could hypothetically sign a hypothetical right wing of higher quality. ;)

P.S.: Damn, that "Quick Edit" function is brilliant.

Another point about Sylla's performances so far is that he doesn't seem that bothered about the team but more so about his own personal battles with the left winger/left back and when I say battles I mean physically and not footballing. He needs to concentrate on his football and not fighting off the ball.

Another point about Sylla's performances so far is that he doesn't seem that bothered about the team but more so about his own personal battles with the left winger/left back and when I say battles I mean physically and not footballing. He needs to concentrate on his football and not fighting off the ball.

Indeed.

And... if/when he really needs to battle physically (not footballing), he ought to pick smaller players :P

Although Gillespie played well in patches, he didn't really offer us much on the right side. His constant cutting inside on to his left foot often led to attacks breaking down. We didn't see enough of his wing play, where he should have took on full backs more to get crosses in.

I think Sylla is better in central midfield and he only joined us as long as he could be in the right wing position.

Sures hes got a few tricks but he doesnt have the pace to be a winger and if he isnt beating people and pulling off tricks all the time then he becomes disinterested.

I think Sylla is better in central midfield and he only joined us as long as he could be in the right wing position.

Sures hes got a few tricks but he doesnt have the pace to be a winger and if he isnt beating people and pulling off tricks all the time then he becomes disinterested.

Sylla doesn't have the pace to be a winger? He's one of the quickest players Leicester have had in recent times. Gillespie on the other hand wasn't that quick and I was delighted when we binned him, he epitomised everything that happen last season, which was inconsistency. He might be doing well at Sheff United but he's playing in a good team and players like Gillespie often get carried in teams that are playing well and top of the league.

He was wank at Leicester. Sylla looks like he needs a kick up the arse, he's got the talent but only shows it 50/60% of the time. I suppose wingers are reknown for that though.

Although Gillespie played well in patches, he didn't really offer us much on the right side. His constant cutting inside on to his left foot often led to attacks breaking down. We didn't see enough of his wing play, where he should have took on full backs more to get crosses in.

Scowy, you just hit the nail on the head.

I was overjoyed to see Gillespie leave Leicester. His constant cutting inside annoyed the hell out of me!!!

Although I do believe that CL admitted he'd like to of kept him.

Sylla isnt exactly really young. and still to impress. Gillespie on ther other hand is playing for the team who are top of the league, and did very well for us at the back end of last season.

I bet him and Nalis are enjoying themselves this season too after our dreadful campaign last season. ;)

Archived