Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Celtic away (ICC cup) 5.30pm on Saturday 23rd of July

Celtic fan here. Signed up as I have always found it helpful when fans of other teams give advice etc when visiting their city so thought I would do the same.

Ticket sales for the home end have been really slow so far but that is most likely due to us having our first home friendly the Saturday before and then a CL qualifier on the Wednesday (which are both free for season ticket holders). Once these games are out the way I'm sure a lot more will be sold in the days beforehand. Our new terracing will be open so there will be a decent atmosphere anyway!

Any questions about the ground, parking, places to stay or best places to go at night etc then fire away :thumbup:

Celtic fan here. Signed up as I have always found it helpful when fans of other teams give advice etc when visiting their city so thought I would do the same.

Ticket sales for the home end have been really slow so far but that is most likely due to us having our first home friendly the Saturday before and then a CL qualifier on the Wednesday (which are both free for season ticket holders). Once these games are out the way I'm sure a lot more will be sold in the days beforehand. Our new terracing will be open so there will be a decent atmosphere anyway!

Any questions about the ground, parking, places to stay or best places to go at night etc then fire away :thumbup:

Welcome to FT and thanks for the offer of advise

Best location in Glasgow with the most bars?

In terms of bars to head to pre-match, most away supports usually head to Merchant Square in the Merchant City as it is a large indoor venue with a good few bars.

Glasgow has a really good nightlife but you will find that everything is spread all over the place and many places you could walk past and not even realise it is there! If you are staying overnight then the busiest areas are the Merchant City, Bath Street and plenty of bars in the streets off of the main shopping street Buchanan Street.

All depends on what you are looking for though as a students idea of a good bar will be different than someone older wanting an authentic Glaswegian pub!

Where is the best place to park within walking distance of an away fans friendly watering hole?

Where is the best place to park within walking distance of an away fans friendly watering hole?

Most bars beside paradise would welcome you, that's unless you wear anything with Rangers or an union jack  :blush:

There is private parking on the london road near the Celtic social club, im sure it was £2 to park or you could park at the premier inn at the end of the london road, which is about 15min walk (.http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/scotland/strathclyde/glasgow/glasgow-cambuslangm74-j2a.html?cid=GLBC_GLAORI)

Yeah if you head along London Road there are quite a few streets where you can park up.

As yogi said above, you won't have any trouble in any bars at all as long as long as you stay clear of anything to do with Rangers etc

The area around Celtic Park has been quite dramatically regenerated over a number of years however still a long way to go and there are limited pubs. Head to the junction of London road/Springfield Road as there are a few there and only a 2minute walk from the away end. They make Wetherspoons look like the Hilton though!

Myself and my mate are going along with his dad and partner who have season tickets at the KP, we are fairly local to Celtic park (around half an hour). Knowing the area 

relatively well I would suggest avoiding any pub around the parkhead area and stick to the city centre. We plan on going into the city around 1ish then getting a bus or taxi to parkhead (10 minute drive) it is also possibly to walk but a fair distance (30 minutes). 

1 hour ago, Ramsay said:

Myself and my mate are going along with his dad and partner who have season tickets at the KP, we are fairly local to Celtic park (around half an hour). Knowing the area 

relatively well I would suggest avoiding any pub around the parkhead area and stick to the city centre. We plan on going into the city around 1ish then getting a bus or taxi to parkhead (10 minute drive) it is also possibly to walk but a fair distance (30 minutes). 

If you have the option of going into the city centre then I would 100% agree.The pubs around Celtic Park are not great but if you are heading straight up to the ground then they are better than nothing.

There are plenty of places to choose from in the city centre and Merchant Square is usually popular for away fans.

The train is also a good option to get to Celtic Park now following on from the Commonwealth games where the station was fully modernised. What used to be a walk through derelict housing/warehouses has been totally changed and easy to get to. Get the low level from Glasgow Central to Dalmarnock and it is a 5min walk from there passed the Chris Hoy Velodrome and National Sports Arena.

1 hour ago, Foxes1 said:

As I'm travelling up by train from Birmingham where would be the best place to catch public transport from to the ground. Am assuming either buses or trams.

Easiest way is train from Glasgow Central to Dalmarnock.

Avoid getting the train from Queen street to Belgrove as it will take you to the wrong end of the ground in an area of Glasgow even most Glaswegians avoid!

24 minutes ago, hoopsGlasgow said:

Easiest way is train from Glasgow Central to Dalmarnock.

Avoid getting the train from Queen street to Belgrove as it will take you to the wrong end of the ground in an area of Glasgow even most Glaswegians avoid!

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, hoopsGlasgow said:

Yeah if you head along London Road there are quite a few streets where you can park up.

As yogi said above, you won't have any trouble in any bars at all as long as long as you stay clear of anything to do with Rangers etc

The area around Celtic Park has been quite dramatically regenerated over a number of years however still a long way to go and there are limited pubs. Head to the junction of London road/Springfield Road as there are a few there and only a 2minute walk from the away end. They make Wetherspoons look like the Hilton though!

Hello mate,

never been to Glasgow looking forward to it. If the weather is like this is there a nice area to drink outside like a square or waterfront?

Cheers

Would anyone be interested in a match ticket & return flight package from London Luton?

I've had to change my plans due to work commitments. 

Match ticket is: East Stand Lower Block 115 Row GG

Face value: £20

Flight is: 

Outbound: 
Sat 23rd July - London Luton 09:20  > Glasgow 10:35
EZY69

Return: 
Sunday 24th July - Glasgow 12:15 > London Luton 13:25
EZY74

Cost £65.98 return (price as it cost me back in March) plus you pay the Easyjet name change fee. 

The above flight is now up at £156 return so a significant saving to be had.

Pm me if interested. 

Mods please move this if need be. 

2 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Hello mate,

never been to Glasgow looking forward to it. If the weather is like this is there a nice area to drink outside like a square or waterfront?

Cheers

No I'm afraid not. Drinking in the street or in public spaces is unfortunately illegal in Glasgow and the police love enforcing it and issuing on the spot fines. 

Only option is to find a beer garden. In the city centre the main ones that come to mind are Sloans,  The Arc, Babbity Bowster and the West Brewery. 

If it's nice then there will also be a number of bars with outdoor areas set up on Buchanan/Gordon Street. I'd recommend Bier Halle.

Archived