Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnglishOxide

Pearson philosophy vs Ranieri philosophy

On 17/01/2017 at 06:50, Barky said:

Maybe we'll make a profit on the likes of Gray, Amartey, Ndidi, Mendy, Musa, Kapustka, maybe we won't. Did we/will we make a profit on Upson, Cambiasso, Wasilewski, Morgan, Huth, Simpson etc?

Made a profit off all those last six players because they made major contributions to promotion, staying up and winning the league. 

We will see see in the future if those mentioned do a similar job.

18 minutes ago, gcxttle said:

Pearson philosophy is only play the players you're mates with whilst being very stubborn which led to Knockaert leaving and nearly Albrighton leaving, also near relegation. Claudio won us the league and got us into the last 16 of the champions league. Is there even any need for any comparison who's philosophy is better?

Knockaert left due to his Dad's ill health.

Simply answer is Pearson has only been a success in management for us...

CR has proven to be a good manager elsewhere and won us the league, regardless on whether you think it's down to Pearson laying foundations or not.

CR is easily a better tactical manager than Pearson and it's crazy to say that Pearson's philosophy may have seen us better off in our current position. The points and our position  in the 14/15 season against now, prove that although we aren't doing as well as we'd all like, we're doing slightly better than we were.

Just now, Izzet is God said:

Source? It very much looked like knockaert left because he wasn't getting played after the promotion season

From someone involved with the club. He had large spells of that season back in France. His family live in Roubaix which is very near the Belgian border and hence a move to Liege worked. 

4 minutes ago, Izzet is God said:

CR has proven to be a good manager elsewhere and won us the league, regardless on whether you think it's down to Pearson laying foundations or not.

CR is easily a better tactical manager than Pearson and it's crazy to say that Pearson's philosophy may have seen us better off in our current position. The points and our position  in the 14/15 season against now, prove that although we aren't doing as well as we'd all like, we're doing slightly better than we were.

Ranieri's honours list isn't that impressive excepting last season. I think you are overstating his achievements. That's subtracting Pearson from any comparison. 

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

From someone involved with the club. He had large spells of that season back in France. His family live in Roubaix which is very near the Belgian border and hence a move to Liege worked. 

So why did he move to Brighton in Jan 2016 with his father still ill and then subsequently passing 10 months later?

Is it possibly because it's near the coast???

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ranieri's honours list isn't that impressive excepting last season. I think you are overstating his achievements. That's subtracting Pearson from any comparison. 

Building Chelsea's foundations, getting Monaco back into a forcible side, getting Cagliari into a decent side all the way from C1, getting fiorentina promoted and winning their national cup comp as well as getting Valencia to the champs league...but yeah his achievements are vastly overrated ?

13 minutes ago, Izzet is God said:

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. If you take away credit from Pearson achievements during his term. You have to recognise that Ranieri has been out thought on quite a few occasions this year. We've played some absolute crap this year and teams have gone into games being ahead of us. 

Its like saying oh Ranieri didn't come up with the idea of switching the full backs it was just that Simpson hit form at the right time. Which is wrong because Simpson was always a better defender than De Laet. It was intelligent management at the time. This year however, tactically, he's been found wanting. 

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. If you take away credit from Pearson achievements during his term. You have to recognise that Ranieri has been out thought on quite a few occasions this year. We've played some absolute crap this year and teams have gone into games being ahead of us. 

Its like saying oh Ranieri didn't come up with the idea of switching the full backs it was just that Simpson hit form at the right time. Which is wrong because Simpson was always a better defender than De Laet. It was intelligent management at the time. This year however, tactically, he's been found wanting. 

Agree re Ranieri being found wanting tactically, however there's only so much he can do/say. 

The players HAVE to perform out on the pitch regardless of tactics. No point having a game plan if our shitty defence goes and concedes two in the first half, it all goes out the window.

29 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So he then jumped at the chance to move to Brighton while his father was still alive? lol stop pretending to be ITK

52 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Made a profit off all those last six players because they made major contributions to promotion, staying up and winning the league. 

We will see see in the future if those mentioned do a similar job.

That's a leftfield interpretation of 'making a profit', which seems to me like a rather desperate attempt to move the goalposts.

27 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

To be fair to Ranieri this season he's been hamstrung by often only having two central midfielders available. He doesn't want to start messing around playing players out of position because he's experienced enough to know that won't work. So that has severely limited what systems he could play.

In addition he has been understandably reluctant to ditch the formation that did so well for us last year. And on top of that he's had a number of players simply falling well short of the standards they set last season, in several cases those players will never again get near to how good they were last year.

Finally he's had quite a few new signings to bed in. So all in all we're a team in transition, ultimately attempting to transition from being the relegation favourites who won the league to a strong top half club in a way which is pretty unique, there is no real precedent for what we're trying to do and so for several reasons Ranieri has quite a tough job to get his head around.

Pearson meanwhile just messed up over and over again in really basic ways like persisting with the 4CM diamond that genuinely looked like the worst system the premier league had ever seen. He actually stuck with that for a whole month. He was out of his depth in the premier league. He's not even that strong tactically at championship level as threatening to get promotion favourites derby relegated demonstrates. He got us promoted playing a very basic 442. If you remember in out championship winning campaign he spent the first few weeks pissing about with formations and none of them worked. Pearson is not a good tactical manager at all. He has some strengths, but tactics isn't one of them.

7 hours ago, gcxttle said:

Pearson philosophy is only play the players you're mates with whilst being very stubborn which led to Knockaert leaving and nearly Albrighton leaving, also near relegation. Claudio won us the league and got us into the last 16 of the champions league. Is there even any need for any comparison who's philosophy is better?

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Knockaert left due to his Dad's ill health.

Exactly and Albrighton had his own personal issues too. Which the club were mentoring him to overcome. It's just rumours that he was going to leave, he was in an awful place in his head when he left Villa. He needed time out of the spotlight. Pearson managed him well as he did all the squad, he is firm but fair and gets a lot of respect from everyone i know who has met/worked with him. 

I agree that Pearson seemed to have a plan. I also agree that Claudio was phenomenal last year. But we seem to have lost direction, our game last year was based on fitness and high pressure. Something Pearson instilled. But this year we look tired and lacking (partly due to that god awful preseason). Some players want to play the old way, but Claudio wants us to play a new way, and his signings seem to want that too.  As a result we look a bit divided and lost, almost as if last year's trophy winners don't quite believe in the systems/tactics they are sent out to perform. This suggests a loss of the changing room, if that is the case then as much as i love Claudio, we must move on.

However I do hope he can turn it around, he deserves due respect after last season, but his career doesn't suggest he will. 'The season after' syndrome has caught him out with quite a few clubs now. 

Surely Knockhaert left because Mahrez was signed, settled in immediately and was better in the same position? 

I liked Pearson,  and hed did succeed at Hull also.  It was only at Derby he was a bit lame. 

Ranieri is the better manager,  but what worries me is that his "nice guy" approach tends to wear off fairly quickly.  Rarely has he had sustained success. He needs a good second in command with a harder mentality,  and a better scouting lead. 

8 hours ago, Izzet is God said:

So why did he move to Brighton in Jan 2016 with his father still ill and then subsequently passing 10 months later?

Is it possibly because it's near the coast???

Building Chelsea's foundations, getting Monaco back into a forcible side, getting Cagliari into a decent side all the way from C1, getting fiorentina promoted and winning their national cup comp as well as getting Valencia to the champs league...but yeah his achievements are vastly overrated ?

A change in circumstance ? Maybe other family went to look after his Dad ? I'm only telling you what I've heard off someone at the club. On repeated occasions, people make Pearson out to be a heartless monster but he repeatedly granted Knockaert time off that season. 

Let's get something clear his team at Monaco were worth millions against a  bunch of teams with no money. The whole Chelsea foundations is debateable and was again aided by a significant amount of money. Again Fiorentina are far too big for the second tier. Valencia were in the Champions League final before he requalified them for the competition. Cagliari was decent but similar to Pearson with us really. 

8 hours ago, Barky said:

That's a leftfield interpretation of 'making a profit', which seems to me like a rather desperate attempt to move the goalposts.

Nope, they made a profit simple as. They came here on relatively low fees and reasonably sized wages. Made them money back in prize money. 

8 hours ago, Barky said:

So he then jumped at the chance to move to Brighton while his father was still alive? lol stop pretending to be ITK

Not pretending to be anything - I have no reason to argue something false on an event what already happen - it was even reported in the Mercury that Knocky was granted leave. As I said change of circumstances, maybe his dad went into care or his family could look after him better. 

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A change in circumstance ? Maybe other family went to look after his Dad ? I'm only telling you what I've heard off someone at the club. On repeated occasions, people make Pearson out to be a heartless monster but he repeatedly granted Knockaert time off that season. 

Let's get something clear his team at Monaco were worth millions against a  bunch of teams with no money. The whole Chelsea foundations is debateable and was again aided by a significant amount of money. Again Fiorentina are far too big for the second tier. Valencia were in the Champions League final before he requalified them for the competition. Cagliari was decent but similar to Pearson with us really. 

I've not once stated that I thought Pearson was a 'heartless monster' as you put. All I've highlighted is that CR is clearly more successful than him. If you are highlighting his success being purely down to having funds available to him, then surely we are a similar club to those that he has managed according to your logic? The recent statistics showing how much we are now worth shall give you a clue...

The whole knockaert situation whether personal or not is a matter or opinion unless you yourself work for the club. I personally don't believe that he left because of his fathers health due to him jumping to move to Brighton some 10 months before his death. However 'as your mate is ITK apparently' let's agree to disagree.

I just find it strange how many are willing to point the finger at CR this season even though we are halfway through the season, not in the bottom 3, still in the champs league and fa cup and he managed us to win the league last year. But once again what do I know, I must be vastly overrating his managerial record! 

Give him some support it's only his second season in charge and we're Leicester! Regardless of last year, we are not a top prem side yet (and never have been). Look at our history - give him time and we may be that in a few years to come...

Archived