Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnglishOxide

Pearson philosophy vs Ranieri philosophy

To be a great manager you need more than tactics... you need to be able to motivate people... to lead people thru change and to ensure attention is focused on the right things - otherwise you will never know if your tactics are any good.

IMO Pearson set us up to be solid... but we were often outflanked by teams with more astute managers; the sad thing for Pearson was that his flaws (e.g. a lack of self confidence  making him defensive and adversarial) mean that he squanders the opportunities he works so hard to have.   

All in all I think NP's tactics were limited but effective to a point.  If our future is to be in the top half of the PL then he would not be the one for us... Claudio's experience is an asset to us.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps exactly why we're struggling again then as I see nothing different in what we're trying now.

Difference is back then, we actually put in good performances and were let down by lots of individual errors and a few poor players. You could look at games and see we weren't far off being ok... now we look awful. How many times have we looked like a good team this season, 3 or 4? That Pearson team looked a far better long term prospect than we currently do.

We've not even had any hard luck stories where you walk away saying we should have got or deserved more. We're getting everything we deserve, we've been absolutely woeful.

We're only 4 points better off than we were in our first season after 21 games. We've conceded 1 more and scored 4 less. Despite the first team containing the likes of De Laet, Nugent, Konch, Moore, Hammond, GTF, Wood etc and the new one containing god knows how many millions of extra players.

It's frightening.

The team that came up from the championship had something to prove, most never playing in the top league and most probably seeing it as an opportunity to improve their career and $$. Bit different now we have given everyone huge contracts and our fortnightly losses are just ruining any signs of a return in form and confidence. 

39 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

How many of Claudio's signings will still be here in five years? Pearson was a long term thinker and the players he signed speak for themselves 

Easier to plan long term when you're in the Championship though. Ranieri went from one Summer of recruitment to winning the league, I'm sure if we came 10th last season Ranieri would have more of a 5 year plan. In hindsight, the Summer recruitment was wasted, but the new signings have not been helped by everyone under-performing. I think Gray, Amartey, Ndidi, Kapustka and Mendy could all become key players for us in the next few years, as well as bringing Chilwell through. 

12 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Easier to plan long term when you're in the Championship though. Ranieri went from one Summer of recruitment to winning the league, I'm sure if we came 10th last season Ranieri would have more of a 5 year plan. In hindsight, the Summer recruitment was wasted, but the new signings have not been helped by everyone under-performing. I think Gray, Amartey, Ndidi, Kapustka and Mendy could all become key players for us in the next few years, as well as bringing Chilwell through. 

Agreed. Still have my doubts on Musa, as I personally don't see him as a natural winger or an affective striker, so unless we play a 4-3-3 with him on the left, I think he may struggle to make a big impact. Hoping he surprises me though.

I still need to see more of Mendy first too, and obviously Kaputska is a strange one. All of them are young and talented though and as long as they are given their chance, I can see us having a young, quality side full of talent growing together, due to this recruitment policy 

Guest Danny Clender

Ranieri did exactly the same thing, as Pearson, when he was at Chelsea, that's why quite a few Chelsea fans still admire him for what he did there. Mourinho came, he won the league, would Ranieri have done so?, possibly, will we ever know?, no. I don't need to remind you of that. 

I reckon Ranieri is trying to do the same now at Leicester. Other than Slimani, the players he's signed are young and have plenty of potential. Add in there Amartey, Chillwell, Gray and things are looking good for the future. 

Admittedly its all very turbulent right now, but his philosophy of transitioning us to a younger team is a good one in principle.

On the pitch, his philosophy is Tinkering again, he's had to because of injuries, AFCON, suspensions, poor form etc etc. Elements we rarely saw last season. 

I don't believe his philosophy is to hit long balls and hope for the best on the counter, Its just that it won us the league, he's seen it isn't working and now he is trying to move away from that, even if it has come a little too late.

I think soon we'll see a more solid back four, once we've got some new faces in defence.

Ndidi will give us that protection and fill the void left by...yeah whatever.

Mandy and Drinky to start controlling games.

Mahrez to find his magic again.

And in Slimani and Vardy to start banging them in again.

And It all sounds so easy....

Look at Man U, it took them nearly 10 games to overcome LVG's "Philosophy" so it does take a bit of patience. 

It's complete rubbish for the fans who have to watch this work in progress, but I genuinely believe come the end of the season its not going to be that bad and his philosophy will be much clearer to us all.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I've lost a lot of confidence in Ranieri, mainly because I thought these struggles were telegraphed last season. It seemed obvious to me we had to look at sowing the seeds of a change in how we play football. We became reliant on counter attacking, when I always thought that was just one weapon in the armory, not the only way we could play. He tailored us into that team and who can say it was wrong, we won the bloody league. But it looked like we'd need to tweak it again as people were setting up differently and we were finding it harder to create in attack the final third of last year (a couple of dead rubber games aside).

To not see that coming and to seemingly just bring in like for like players for me was one of the biggest errors. I can see he's looking at changing things now and fair enough, but the process is happening 8 months later than it probably should have. There have been some odd decisions this year.

I'll give him time, I'm not sure he's the person to take us on long term, but I will always give managers time. It's a very trying set of circumstances this season, almost unknown. So you take that all into account, I just want to see an attempt to play football. I'm getting tired and bored of what's currently being shown.

I havent lost confidence in Ranieri, I will do if we see no CBs coming in, in this transfer window.

I still believe he will, with the squad turn it around.

I honestly believe, the whole staff, more so Claudio, have been dumbfounded and gobsmacked, how

poor, not average but how poor we have been.If we were doing a Burnley or Bournemouth, we would be

reasonably happy.

His comments..hes trying to protect his players, but I bet he is seething Outside and inside, but like all of us

Somewhat confused.  Whatever!!!   Now he has to show us, he can change it around, not just results but

performance wise. 

The post, mirrors 99% of my thoughts and sentiments...

Just read what Babylon is saying in this thread. Tells you all you need to know.

Even under the awful Pearson run a couple of seasons back, we actually were quite unlucky at times. We said it, and pretty much all the pundits said it. Words to the effect of 'Leicester aren't too far off being a good side' etc. 

Dont get me wrong, there were some stinkers too! Swansea away, Villa away in the cup...just two I can think of.

But that side were never too far off being ok...and of course, so it proved.

They looked to have some fight about them, they did have a playmaker in Cambiasso and of course, Morgan and finally Huth were younger.

Now......? Despite spending a kings ransom on players (compared to then).... we have no clear game plan. We have signed, I think, some bang average footballers and Ranieri is carrying on in his, seemingly deluded, way.

I thought Ranieri was a breath of fresh air. A diplomat, a nice guy, a difference to the sometimes curt, awkward persona that we saw in Pearson in front of the media. Now I'm starting to think that the players are taking the pee out of him. And I NEVER thought that about Pearson. 

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Have to agree with that, almost every game we looked just as good as the opposition but 1 or 2 errors cost us (Morgan in particular), probably just down to lack of experience. I don't think we lost any games by more than 1 goal, you could see something was brewing... then the following season we did the remarkable off the back off the previous campaign, with players playing at the peak of their game and the team playing together as one unit.

this season has just been a complete shambles from both the management and the players, the players must take some of the stick for not turning up throughout the season probably having lost some of that hunger they had previously, which isn't really surprising having just destroyed the best the league in the world by 10 points, not having much of a break in the summer and then being asked to commit the same level of performance week in week out.

then you have to look at the management and there  are plenty of negatives after playing the same way all season 4-4-2 looking for the miracle ball to Vardy but simply isn't working but he should have realized this a lot sooner now we have under half the season left trying to find a formation that fits. Are the players still fighting for the manager? can he get them up and keep them in line like Pearson managed to do? questions need to be asked.

not only that but we haven't exactly had it easy from the refs this season but we can't blame them.

You feel you have to give Claudio till the end of the season but he needs to get the players motivated again!

This is a comparing styles thread so I have to take you to task on what you have addressed when you say - almost every game when Pearson (ffs he's in ****ing threads again) was in charge we looked as good as the other teams!

We were awful for 60% of the season, decent and unlucky in 15%, shit hot in 25% at the end.

And seeing as you've opened the door on the subject of how shit we are now, on the other side of it, don't forget we were 7 pts adrift,

and bottom for most of that season, with Vardy a bit part player being utilised on the bench or wings some of the time. One could also point out that Pearson managed a 14th place finish. Ranieri with a couple of additions won the league by 10pts, within which Vardy was given licence to murder defences to an extent where opposition teams change their tactics entirely to negate him above anything else. (I really can't think of another player who has had such an impact on opposition's play in such a way?). 

I really dont understand how in all seriousness you can compare these two managers tenure and come to the conclusion that NP 'is in the same  Parish' as Ranieri.

The ideal is all about winning matches and trophies and achieving a higher level, and in that respect Ranners knocks Nige into a cocked hat - notwithstanding the difficulties the team are presently having.

My summary of the philosophy debate: 

CR: to win leagues, qualify for the continent's blue ribband event and maybe get sacked the next season as somebody else bought some rubbish players. Maybe to be too soft to kick the players up the arse when they need it.

NP: build good foundations of a club from top to bottom, swerve relegation, under pressure to act like a bellend, then come through it, and then get yourself sacked for opening an ostrich farm, on the side, in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

This is a comparing styles thread so I have to take you to task on what you have addressed when you say - almost every game when Pearson (ffs he's in ****ing threads again) was in charge we looked as good as the other teams!

We were awful for 60% of the season, decent and unlucky in 15%, shit hot in 25% at the end.

- Clearly you didn't watch all of the games if you thought we was awful in 60% of them, change those figures around and your not far off.

And seeing as you've opened the door on the subject of how shit we are now, on the other side of it, don't forget we were 7 pts adrift,

and bottom for most of that season, with Vardy a bit part player being utilised on the bench or wings some of the time. One could also point out that Pearson managed a 14th place finish. Ranieri with a couple of additions won the league by 10pts, within which Vardy was given licence to murder defences to an extent where opposition teams change their tactics entirely to negate him above anything else. (I really can't think of another player who has had such an impact on opposition's play in such a way?). 

Vardy started tearing shit up when Pearson let him loose in the last 10 games, shit if it wasn't for Pearson we may never have even been in or got Vardy so take your hat of to the bloke for believing in him when no else did.

I really dont understand how in all seriousness you can compare these two managers tenure and come to the conclusion that NP 'is in the same  Parish' as Ranieri.

The ideal is all about winning matches and trophies and achieving a higher level, and in that respect Ranners knocks Nige into a cocked hat - notwithstanding the difficulties the team are presently having.

Whose to say Pearson wouldn't have won us the League in the same way we did it under Ranieri, Kante was a Walsh signing, same with Fuchs so he would have had exactly the same squad to work with but with another years experience under his belt with the squad he and his team built, thats after destroying two league in the process. He managed to win both the League 1 and Championship title so who the hell is to say he wouldn't be able to do it in the Prem with more or less the same team. 1 year doesn't give you much of a chance though.

My summary of the philosophy debate: 

CR: to win leagues, qualify for the continent's blue ribband event and maybe get sacked the next season as somebody else bought some rubbish players. Maybe to be too soft to kick the players up the arse when they need it.

NP: build good foundations of a club from top to bottom, swerve relegation, under pressure to act like a bellend, then come through it, and then get yourself sacked for opening an ostrich farm, on the side, in Thailand.

Im going to put it out there and say if it wasn't for Nigel Pearson we wouldn't have never won the league. fact.

35 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just read what Babylon is saying in this thread. Tells you all you need to know.

Even under the awful Pearson run a couple of seasons back, we actually were quite unlucky at times. We said it, and pretty much all the pundits said it. Words to the effect of 'Leicester aren't too far off being a good side' etc. 

Dont get me wrong, there were some stinkers too! Swansea away, Villa away in the cup...just two I can think of.

But that side were never too far off being ok...and of course, so it proved.

They looked to have some fight about them, they did have a playmaker in Cambiasso and of course, Morgan and finally Huth were younger.

Now......? Despite spending a kings ransom on players (compared to then).... we have no clear game plan. We have signed, I think, some bang average footballers and Ranieri is carrying on in his, seemingly deluded, way.

I thought Ranieri was a breath of fresh air. A diplomat, a nice guy, a difference to the sometimes curt, awkward persona that we saw in Pearson in front of the media. Now I'm starting to think that the players are taking the pee out of him. And I NEVER thought that about Pearson. 

I think we have to be clear that Ranieri has a job on here, and I accept that it's not going well this season. 

Also I think there maybe something in the last paragraph when you say that the players are taking the piss with him. There may not be a fear factor with him.

However, we have to try to not tar Ranners with all our ills. Whilst I admit some of his signings (e.g. Inler and Benny) were no good wasn't Walsh responsible for Amartey, Musa to name but two who have not exactly set the world alight. He can only work with he's got.

We had a system that worked when half of the players could not pass to each other, that's great management, but sadly the opposition's No1 tactics are to stop Vardy regardless of whatever else they do, and that is very difficult to overcome.

Im not sure we should be rehiring Pearson or his ilk as  bollocking is bound to work with these lazy bastards all of a sudden. 

If you could guarantee a new manager could come in and we would sail up the league I'd say ok let's retire Claudio. You can't though.

If its no better in by the end of Feb I may say let's look for a young forward thinking manager, but for the time being we have to give him more time.

11 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I think we have to be clear that Ranieri has a job on here, and I accept that it's not going well this season. 

Also I think there maybe something in the last paragraph when you say that the players are taking the piss with him. There may not be a fear factor with him.

However, we have to try to not tar Ranners with all our ills. Whilst I admit some of his signings (e.g. Inler and Benny) were no good wasn't Walsh responsible for Amartey, Musa to name but two who have not exactly set the world alight. He can only work with he's got.

We had a system that worked when half of the players could not pass to each other, that's great management, but sadly the opposition's No1 tactics are to stop Vardy regardless of whatever else they do, and that is very difficult to overcome.

Im not sure we should be rehiring Pearson or his ilk as  bollocking is bound to work with these lazy bastards all of a sudden. 

If you could guarantee a new manager could come in and we would sail up the league I'd say ok let's retire Claudio. You can't though.

If its no better in by the end of Feb I may say let's look for a young forward thinking manager, but for the time being we have to give him more time.

I wasn't saying anything more than what I wrote. I wouldn't take Pearson back now. It would be almost impossible to leave under the cloud he did, to walk back into the club after we won the biggest accolade in the clubs history. For me, it would just feel wrong.

Regarding 'Ranieri out'? I'll say exactly what I said with the 'Pearson out' threads. It depends upon whether you think anybody else could take this current crop of players and get them performing much better than they are. And if so, whom you think that might be. There would be no point in simply sacking Ranieri now if there is no clear replacement who could hit the ground running and almost instantaneously make us much better. Of course, the difference when under Pearson was being rooted right at the bottom. 

Ill reiterate what I've said for ages....I think the Thais will stick with Ranieri, that we will stay up and that we'll probably continue to see some good performances along with some really poor ones.

We appear to be in something of a transition phase and that the owners will have a really good look at it nearer the summer.

I think we'll probably finish about 15th.

17 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

- Clearly you didn't watch all of the games if you thought we was awful in 60% of them, change those figures around and your not far off.

Vardy started tearing shit up when Pearson let him loose in the last 10 games, shit if it wasn't for Pearson we may never have even been in or got Vardy so take your hat of to the bloke for believing in him when no else did.

Whose to say Pearson wouldn't have won us the League in the same way we did it under Ranieri, Kante was a Walsh signing, same with Fuchs so he would have had exactly the same squad to work with but with another years experience under his belt with the squad he and his team built, thats after destroying two league in the process. He managed to win both the League 1 and Championship title so who the hell is to say he wouldn't be able to do it in the Prem with more or less the same team. 1 year doesn't give you much of a chance though.

Im going to put it out there and say if it wasn't for Nigel Pearson we wouldn't have never won the league. fact.

You misunderstand I think.

Pearson did a lot of things that heIped the club - positive things which built a foundation for our improvement. I don't deny that.

I say we would not have won the league with Pearson as manager as he was tactically inept. 

The best facts are in the finishing positions of said managers I would have thought? 

Ranieri 1st

Pearson 14th

Also I would add just in case its escaped your attention. Since leaving he has confirmed he is virtually unemployable.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I wasn't saying anything more than what I wrote. I wouldn't take Pearson back now. It would be almost impossible to leave under the cloud he did, to walk back into the club after we won the biggest accolade in the clubs history. For me, it would just feel wrong.

Regarding 'Ranieri out'? I'll say exactly what I said with the 'Pearson out' threads. It depends upon whether you think anybody else could take this current crop of players and get them performing much better than they are. And if so, whom you think that might be. There would be no point in simply sacking Ranieri now if there is no clear replacement who could hit the ground running and almost instantaneously make us much better.

Ill reiterate what I've said for ages....I think the Thais will stick with Ranieri, that we will stay up and that we'll probably continue to see some good performances along with some really poor ones.

We appear to be in something of a transition phase and that the owners will have a really good look at it nearer the summer.

Agreed. Its a crying shame isn't it. 

11 hours ago, smudger63 said:

Pearsons approach to life in the premier league, by his own admission,was that we had to set up to stay in games, which is why we never took any real tonkings from anyone in his one season in the premier league.

This negative philosophy also seen us bottom of the league for three quaters of the season.

It was only when it was shit or bust time, and we had to win games, to have any chance of staying up, that he let the team off the leash, and really have a go at teams, which ultimately saved us. 

This approach wasn't changed through a tactical masterstroke from Pearson, it was changed through desperation!

I thought the rumor was that Cambiasso took charge and told Pearson it's shit or bust time, we need to start attacking games rather than playing to stay in them?

6 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Just fed up with hearing bloody Pearsons name yet again which usually comes after we've lost a match. It's boring. We could talk about the tactics of O'Neil or Bloomfield for a change if a discussion regarding historical playing styles/philosophies were required but we don't,  why?  Because despite the assurances that it's not, it's just an implicit dig against Ranieri. If he doesn't change things he's stuck in his ways. If he changes tactics or personnel then he's either tinkering too much or doing it wrong. Yet...you get two dozen suggestions on here, all different,  of what is really right or the solution to all our problems, clearly not everyone can be right.

I,  not having had 20 plus years as a football manager or, not currently knowing the current fitness levels, personal issues or perceived adaptiveness to Premiership football from some of our new signings due to age or ability, would put my faith in a wise head of a manager like Ranieri. Not knowing the facts of the above, I could at least see why he tried what he did against a buoyant, experienced Chelsea side with a plethora of international stars in midfield pitted against our kids that have just arrived and who are adapting as quick as they can.  If we had the option of Drinkwater,  Kante and Cambiasso to pick from perhaps it might have been different  but you have to go with what you've got. No one knows who we tried to sign in the transfer market and who we're currently trying to sign at the moment. Neither do we know who isn't giving of their best because they don't want to be here, though Schlupps performance against Porto may have been an indication about his feelings.

We have to trust Ranieri  (I happily do so) because there are no better alternatives available out there that would be interested in the likes of us in our current position any way. We have a great basis for an excellent side once we get all our players back and our young signings find their feet and adapt if they can. The future's bright, people like Chelsea et al have been building with bigger budgets for years, just look at Man Utd, bet some of their fans have despaired greatly  over the last couple of years whilst we won the title by 10 clear points! 

imagine if we had of had those three together. It would of been beautiful!

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Regarding 'Ranieri out'? I'll say exactly what I said with the 'Pearson out' threads. It depends upon whether you think anybody else could take this current crop of players and get them performing much better than they are. And if so, whom you think that might be. There would be no point in simply sacking Ranieri now if there is no clear replacement who could hit the ground running and almost instantaneously make us much better. Of course, the difference when under Pearson was being rooted right at the bottom. 

If we sacked Ranieri we should go all out for Sean Dyche. Superb manager and a long term thinker too. 

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

What about Shrewsbury Town at home (League Cup)?

We lost 0:1 to a League 2 team!!

After watching our dismal performance in that

match, I knew, the season would become a tough

one. 

Btw: 3 days after the match we signed Cambiasso

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I havent lost confidence in Ranieri, I will do if we see no CBs coming in, in this transfer window.

I still believe he will, with the squad turn it around.

I honestly believe, the whole staff, more so Claudio, have been dumbfounded and gobsmacked, how

poor, not average but how poor we have been.If we were doing a Burnley or Bournemouth, we would be

reasonably happy.

His comments..hes trying to protect his players, but I bet he is seething Outside and inside, but like all of us

Somewhat confused.  Whatever!!!   Now he has to show us, he can change it around, not just results but

performance wise. 

The post, mirrors 99% of my thoughts and sentiments...

Ranieri himself was a centre back and values defensive qualities so I am a little surprised he hasn't addressed the Huth-Morgan replacement issue. I think he is hoping to get someone very good like a Keane rather than another squad player though. Reading the history on Ranieri's previous clubs he has almost always had an immediate impact. If a player is not pulling their weight - he will drop them (good example is Mahrez recently).  Generally he has a positive effect early on as he did with us with serious effect of course!!! The trend then is that there is an expectation set that is difficult to match and I am not sure he's as good when there is a set of players who now know him and there may be a tendency for them not to listen and to almost become complacent.  In this league being "off" by 1 or 2 percent is enough to lose a game as we have seen this season.

Pearson likes to have a longer term approach. See Derby I don't know what happened there. He is very supportive of his players as we saw in the Great Escape season but sometimes to the detriment of Clubs name in the press and public. As a football man I think he is very good. He's as stubborn as Claudio if not more so and his bloodymindedness has cost him this job and possibly his last one. 

In summary 2 good managers, Claudio is more experienced and probably the shrewder of the two.

2 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

One philosophy nearly got us relegated; one philosophy won us the Premier League.

that isn't a fair comparison. Last season was a combination of both managers work, along with the right team, spirit etc. Without the end to the first season, last season would not be possible. We wouldnt have won the league with Pearson, but I'm not convinced if we had Ranieri then that we would have stayed up either

7 hours ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

How many of Claudio's signings will still be here in five years? Pearson was a long term thinker and the players he signed speak for themselves 

Claudio has signed almost exclusively young players while Pearson signed the likes of Upson and Cambiasso so this is a ridiculous argument.

Id say both philosophies as i see them have had great success at the times the managers were in charge.

Its only opinions though, i dont know what theyre overall philosophy was unless you talked directly to the managers.

Pearson instilled work ethic and respect into the team. His management style was focused on staying in games in the Premier League, he tried a number of formations but the objective was always to build from a solid base. Play was often focused around percentages and managing risk. He also used the fact that he was a nob to create a siege mentality around the club that at the time was probably needed. The majority of players said that he was a good man manager too, which is a positive too.

Ranieri inherited good qualities, and then built further. He identified attributes our squad had and played to them to great effect, but i think he certainly favours an approach of less control, happy to give up possession, and has mostly relied on fast turnovers of possession and quick breaks to hit opponents. One noticeable thing that is different to many managers is how compact he prefers the full backs to be. For many clubs they are a primary source of width. This season, that hasnt been working nearly as well and we know that. Signings wise, theyve pretty much all been youthful and could be big players for the club for a number of years. Last season, he took man management to an artform too. He made the whole country like Leicester, which boosted the players. He knew when to be firm, when to be relaxed. When to allow extra time off, it was virtuoso management.

Certainly, the two went hand in hand though. It was the perfect transition

I think Claudio has the intentions of building for the future, but whether he will be the right man to lead the building after this season will depend on the end to this season, if there are signs of a new successful pattern of play. The decision might be made by himself.

Archived