Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City stewards to receive training on how to deal with homophobia and other hate crimes

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Just because something is not the very worst thing in the world doesn't mean it may still not be unpleasant.

Sticks and stones plus a sense of proportion .... half the comedy in this country has disappeared because it offends someone, somewhere.  

Just now, Thracian said:

Your opinion which - as a presumed PC subscriber - has to be most important.  

No, but neither should your's.  Plenty of homophobic racist stuff being spouted out by so called comedians. I'm sure you'll find enough to laugh at.

Just now, purpleronnie said:

No, but neither should your's.  Plenty of homophobic racist stuff being spouted out by so called comedians. I'm sure you'll find enough to laugh at.

But yes.  We live in a country where 5% can oppose something when 95% don't and the 5% get their way. Comedy is simple and rather like music. If you don't like it don't buy a ticket. I loathe rap music but good luck to those who want to hear it.       

13 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Just because something is not the very worst thing in the world doesn't mean it may still not be unpleasant.

How easily we react to the trite but lack any real will to deal with proper problems. 

3 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Your opinion which - as a presumed PC subscriber - has to be most important.  

Could I ask, in genuine earnestness, what you feel is wrong with political correctness?

Also, it is about nuance and purpose.  I love Louis CK and Ricky Gervais who often say things which may sound very "un PC" but they do it in interesting, challenging ways.  If you really want to fight for yours, and everyone else's, right to just shout "you big, massive bender/queer/fairy/some other "hilarious" term" at someone then knock yourself out but it just seems odd to me that anyone could have a negative response to the link in the original post.  There is a difference between saying "let's make sure people do not just insult others for the sake of it and use homophobic terms in a sport where, already, not one current player is openly gay for fear of abuse (Fashanu may be their only reference point)" and "I am so PC you cannot say anything and you should die if you offend me".  never quite sure why the "PC gone mad" brigade cannot differentiate the two, just seems a bit weird?

Rumble.

X

4 minutes ago, Thracian said:

But yes.  We live in a country where 5% can oppose something when 95% don't and the 5% get their way. Comedy is simple and rather like music. If you don't like it don't buy a ticket. I loathe rap music but good luck to those who want to hear it.       

Racist. (Joke)

16 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Lots of people find shit unpleasant but it's part of life and they cope with it. 

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Could I ask, in genuine earnestness, what you feel is wrong with political correctness?

Also, it is about nuance and purpose.  I love Louis CK and Ricky Gervais who often say things which may sound very "un PC" but they do it in interesting, challenging ways.  If you really want to fight for yours, and everyone else's, right to just shout "you big, massive bender/queer/fairy/some other "hilarious" term" at someone then knock yourself out but it just seems odd to me that anyone could have a negative response to the link in the original post.  There is a difference between saying "let's make sure people do not just insult others for the sake of it and use homophobic terms in a sport where, already, not one current player is openly gay for fear of abuse (Fashanu may be their only reference point)" and "I am so PC you cannot say anything and you should die if you offend me".  never quite sure why the "PC gone mad" brigade cannot differentiate the two, just seems a bit weird?

Rumble.

X

Let me ask you something. What the hell has sexuality got to do with football?    

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Well nothing, which I think is the point of the article?  

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Well nothing, which I think is the point of the article?  

But you're being hypocritical, presumably because it's a promotional hobby horse of yours - with football the saddle - and gives you chance to .vocalise your stance.  You suggest football has nothing to do with sexuality but refer to the number of (openly) gay players or otherwise as if it matters.  Being "homosexual" or being "open".  

14 minutes ago, Thracian said:

But you're being hypocritical, presumably because it's a promotional hobby horse of yours - with football the saddle - and gives you chance to .vocalise your stance.  You suggest football has nothing to do with sexuality but refer to the number of (openly) gay players or otherwise as if it matters.  Being "homosexual" or being "open".  

I am not sure you are arguing with the things I am saying, more with the things you think I am saying.  Do you normally presume what others are saying then argue with them?  In your head, is this going well?  It may be argued that the lack of openly gay footballers has a direct relation to the “funny banter” that occurs inside football stadiums.  I don’t particularly go around vocalising “my stance” but this is a forum and I was replying to a topic.  You said something, I disagreed, I am hardly "using football as a saddle” though nice analogy.  I just find it sad that some people might have to hide who they are because of “hilarious banter” from row 3.  That wise old sage chanting “you fvcking queer”.  Are you sad that racial abuse has been cracked down on?

56 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I am not sure you are arguing with the things I am saying, more with the things you think I am saying.  Do you normally presume what others are saying then argue with them?  In your head, is this going well?  It may be argued that the lack of openly gay footballers has a direct relation to the “funny banter” that occurs inside football stadiums.  I don’t particularly go around vocalising “my stance” but this is a forum and I was replying to a topic.  You said something, I disagreed, I am hardly "using football as a saddle” though nice analogy.  I just find it sad that some people might have to hide who they are because of “hilarious banter” from row 3.  That wise old sage chanting “you fvcking queer”.  Are you sad that racial abuse has been cracked down on?

But that's part of the point. It's you saying they are hiding. They might think it's none of your business. And they'd be right.

Do footballers look sad? Have you any reason for supposing they are sad?

Do they have reason to say they are this or that?

No, you are effectively seeking to speak for them and you've no right to. About anything.

More than that you're trying to label people who might not want to be labelled.

It's just like with religion. Live your own life and leave others to live theirs

And don't try to box me either. 

If I'm unhappy I'll say so. I don't need you to stand my corner, thanks.

Your stance does harm as well as (theoretically doing good (as in well meaning). But, do you ever stop to think about that and to think it all through.?

Be yourself. Friends will find you and the rest don't matter. You don't need "approval". And everyone fights battles of one sort, real or imagined.

No need to make something out of nothing. 

Och, I think we probably just disagree but I do thank you for actually stating your points as, despite what you may think, I like debate and believe 100% in free speech.  Now, I know I am a massive dullard and, to be fair, you can verge on the old blow hard too, so the rest of the folk reading this are probably wishing we both just stopped but I'll respond to your last points then probably just go have a wee fiddle with my tiny, tiny penis.....

But that's part of the point. It's you saying they are hiding. They might think it's none of your business. And they'd be right.

I said they might feel forced to hide who they are.  They may not of course, and I don't want to speak on their behalf but all I know is that something like 10% of people are not heterosexual and 0% of footballers have "come out".  Now I don;t think people should wear their sexuality as, you are right, it really shouldn't matter but unfortunately it does because people are being abused for it.   I think I feel that some may want to come out but don't (payers have been openly advised not to come out in the past by PR folk).  Only one UK based footballer that I know of has ever come out whilst playing and he was hounded to his death.  Of course not all the blame is on fans, he was clearly a troubled individual who needed help but I cannot help but think that if the sport in general was more openly supportive things may have been different.

Do footballers look sad? Have you any reason for supposing they are sad?

Please show me, using citation, where I claimed any of them were sad?

Do they have reason to say they are this or that?

No, but I feel some might want to not hide it which I think they might be forced to by a sport which has a bad track record of "acceptance".

No, you are effectively seeking to speak for them and you've no right to. About anything.

I have not expressed views on behalf of any individual apart from myself.

More than that you're trying to label people who might not want to be labelled.

I wish no labels existed but your comment cannot be made without wider context.  If I came here and said "why don't some fvcking footballers come out for fvck sake, I wanna stick some in a gay pile and some in a straight pile" you would be completely right. But that is not what has happened.  Some "fans" used abuse that may be of a homophobic nature (or racist, I am just sticking with this for now but the same is applicable).  Some other people feel this is wrong and feel the need to challenge it.  Not shut it down or silence free speech but challenge it.  I am not labeling anyone for the sake of it, I am merely stating that I think to use "homosexual" as an insult is not a good thing and that in my opinion it might make it hard for someone to simply and openly be themselves (not by professing their sexuality constantly as you seem to think is the only method but merely to mention it if organically it might come about).  Do you not find the fact that this has NEVER happened odd?

It's just like with religion. Live your own life and leave others to live theirs

How is shouting homophobic abuse at someone "living your life and leaving others to live theirs"?

And don't try to box me either. 

I have a mean left hook and, despite my advancing years and expanding stomach, can still do the Ali shuffle.

If I'm unhappy I'll say so. I don't need you to stand my corner, thanks.

Noted, brave soldier. X

Your stance does harm as well as (theoretically doing good (as in well meaning). But, do you ever stop to think about that and to think it all through.?

I constantly think about my own actions, to the point that I drive myself mental.  I am a sad, strange little man and at night the darkness comes.

Be yourself. Friends will find you and the rest don't matter. You don't need "approval". And everyone fights battles of one sort, real or imagined.

Will you be my friend?

No need to make something out of nothing. 

We both need to follow this advice probably.

Anyway, I am done in.  I hope you are well and I think we just disagree on this so should probably leave it and stick to what matters.....

What formation should we play next year and should we sell Musa?

X

Hate Crimes....for me the "hate" is that which I feel for what this country has become in it's relentless pursuit of Political Correctness. A couple of examples....I can't stand being in the presence of gay's, get completely p155ed off if I'm watching some public participation programme on TV and a bloke introduces another bloke as his partner or wife...fcuking yuk. I abhor the levels of immigration and the one way political correctness that accompanies it. I neither have nor want a religion and can't understand the mentality of grown men , women and children fighting in religions name it's just folklore and claptrap. Nothing will ever change my feelings with regard to these, thank god I'm an Atheist....Oh, and don't get me started on health and safety....although I do agree that smoking indoors in Public Buildings is probably correctly banned.

Norwich Im in your camp(pun intended).Pretty much all religion is and has been a waste of time and energy.

Health and safety we have to all conform but some of it involves enormous cost for very little gain.

We have a gay person at work who gets away with murder in the way he speaks to,acts  and deals with others if I tried it I would be out of the door and down the road.

Another lad who I worked with for a year and never even occurred to me but he keeps his personal life to himself which is fine .

We are seeing it again in the election talk ,the Rotherham abuse cases were another example.I have a neighbour pleasant enough but big tall muslim guy and he is quite happy to be very pushy in his dealings with others because he feels in a strong position and is rarely challenged..

When does the footy start again ?

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

Hate Crimes....for me the "hate" is that which I feel for what this country has become in it's relentless pursuit of Political Correctness. A couple of examples....I can't stand being in the presence of gay's, get completely p155ed off if I'm watching some public participation programme on TV and a bloke introduces another bloke as his partner or wife...fcuking yuk. I abhor the levels of immigration and the one way political correctness that accompanies it. I neither have nor want a religion and can't understand the mentality of grown men , women and children fighting in religions name it's just folklore and claptrap. Nothing will ever change my feelings with regard to these, thank god I'm an Atheist....Oh, and don't get me started on health and safety....although I do agree that smoking indoors in Public Buildings is probably correctly banned.

Why? Are you really that insecure?

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

55 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Norwich Im in your camp(pun intended).Pretty much all religion is and has been a waste of time and energy.

Health and safety we have to all conform but some of it involves enormous cost for very little gain.

We have a gay person at work who gets away with murder in the way he speaks to,acts  and deals with others if I tried it I would be out of the door and down the road.

Another lad who I worked with for a year and never even occurred to me but he keeps his personal life to himself which is fine .

We are seeing it again in the election talk ,the Rotherham abuse cases were another example.I have a neighbour pleasant enough but big tall muslim guy and he is quite happy to be very pushy in his dealings with others because he feels in a strong position and is rarely challenged..

When does the footy start again ?

I can't quite take the compassion.  X

Just now, theessexfox said:

Why? Are you really that insecure?

Not at all, I'm able to make my own mind up and stick to my own set of standards....did your own insecurity compel you to make this post?

Just now, norwichfox said:

Not at all, I'm able to make my own mind up and stick to my own set of standards....did your own insecurity compel you to make this post?

To be fair mate, you did say "fcuking yuk" in reference to gay people.  Do you really feel that?  Honestly? X

7 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Maybe you should speak to some gay folk and realise they're not defined by their sexuality and they can be pretty cool people. 

I hope for their sake that no child of yours is LGBT.

We should tolerate any racist abuse from the stands, and I don't see how this is any different.

This initiative is a win-win situation for everyone: it may cut down on abuse that crosses the line and it allows bigots to cry that they're the true victims here, which is what they're best at.

Archived