Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

3 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

Most people do infact pay their taxes, and the UK in comparison to some countries does not have a massive problem with Tax avoidance. Again it is all sound bytes about the nasty rich to suit spiteful left wing agendas, many do pay all their taxes, they pay a lot, they also make considerable charitable donations and volunteer but of course the Guardian wont get a sensationalist enough headline out of that! There is a lot of bile spouted by the left and a vast amount of unnecessary hate I have never called anyone scum, nor would I but I have been called such by Labour voters and thick and any number of things. Ever consider that if we start to bastardise the rich it might make their goodwill dry up, it will make them stop putting £50 a week in the food bank donations and then when we actually do need it like when someone like Corbyn right royally ****s up the nation and we need charitable donations the goodwill from those who can will have gone.

So Labour instead want us to be friends with Terrorists in other countries not sure how that will help, especially when the terrorists labour want us to deal with are poorer that the Saudis!

Rich people arguably do pay their fair share of tax, what is a fair share? There is already a much higher rate for wealthy people, the majority do pay up, a minority don't. Of course 1% of 1 million income is a lot more the 1% of 20k! They also buy big cars and petrol adding (VAT) revenue and they have property (stamp duty) and go out for meals VAT, buy clothes VAT. Who decides what is the fair share and who gives someone the moral station to decide that?

Moderate views are considered moderate but fact is Corbyn and Labour have a front bench of hard-line lefties, if you want hard-line lefties to run the country then you must be one!

lol

Sorry, I hate to do this to you again* but studies show that the wealthy give away a smaller proportion of their wealth to charity than the less wealthy. The poor are actually more generous than the rich. Keep bashing away at the keyboard by all means, just know that almost everything you are typing is factually incorrect.

*not really, I'm enjoying it more than I should be to be honest

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

lol

Sorry, I hate to do this to you again* but studies show that the wealthy give away a smaller proportion of their wealth to charity than the less wealthy. The poor are actually more generous than the rich. Keep bashing away at the keyboard by all means, just know that almost everything you are typing is factually incorrect.

*not really, I'm enjoying it more than I should be to be honest

He's like the gift that keeps on giving.

Confronted by reports and confirmations that all he believes in is wrong he just stoically doubles down on it all.

25 minutes ago, toddybad said:

UK has no problems with tax avoidance?

Almost 40% of corporate investments channelled away from authorities and into tax havens travel through the UK or the Netherlands, according to a study of the ownership structures of 98m firms.

The two EU states are way ahead of the rest of the world in terms of being a preferred option for corporations who want to exploit tax havens to protect their investments.

The Netherlands was a conduit for 23% of corporate investments that ended in a tax haven, a team of researchers at the University of Amsterdam concluded. The UK accounted for 14%, ahead of Switzerland (6%), Singapore (2%) and Ireland (1%).

Every year multinationals avoid paying £38bn-£158bn in taxes in the EU using tax havens. In the US, tax evasion by multinational corporations via offshore jurisdictions is estimated to be at least $130bn (£99bn) a year.

The researchers reported that there were 24 so-called “sink” offshore financial centres where foreign capital was ultimately stored, safe from the tax authorities.

Of those, 18 are said to have a current or past dependence to the UK, such as the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, the British  Virgin Islands and Jersey.

3 of the top 5 in the EU, coincidence?

Edited by Strokes

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

3 of the top 5 in the EU, coincidence?

Well the EU has nothing to do with this issue so yes.

In.fact, the EU has pointedly complained about the UK stopping EU efforts in relation to tax avoidance.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Well the EU has nothing to do with this issue so yes.

In.fact, the EU has pointedly complained about the UK stopping EU efforts in relation to tax avoidance.

Seems to be a prominent part of the breeding ground, even if the commission is against they are powerless without unanimous support.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eus-idea-for-tackling-tax-avoidance-blame-others/

Edited by Strokes

4 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Big business happy to continue selling multiple child killing product that has been withdrawn elsewhere because it meets all UK safety regulations:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42070606

Capitalism. Small government. Less regulation. Profits above all.

I've got a set of those drawers in my bedroom. It's heavy and I can confirm does topple if you open all the drawers. 

10 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I've got a set of those drawers in my bedroom. It's heavy and I can confirm does topple if you open all the drawers. 

Yeah we also have a set lol

Actually bought them for one of the kids rooms and it was only by pure chance that we realised they fall over easily before we left them in the room with the kid. They did come with the wall fixing bracket but we never would have thought a set of drawers would topple so easily. The fact that Ikea are happy to keep selling them when they’ve killed eight kids is really disturbing.

Edited by Rogstanley

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Anytime

I was manning a poll booth for the referendum. The number of 80 year old people that couldn't remember their addresses was unreal - there should be a cognitive ability test to be eligible to vote. My grandma has memory issues.... she could have voted in that crucial vote. How wrong is that?

1 minute ago, filthyfox said:

I was manning a poll booth for the referendum. The number of 80 year old people that couldn't remember their addresses was unreal - there should be a cognitive ability test to be eligible to vote. My grandma has memory issues.... she could have voted in that crucial vote. How wrong is that?

True, we shouldn’t let anyone with any mental health condition vote or anyone on medication either. It’s just not right.

15 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

It will take 5 years before we see any money from leaving Europe. ... Thanks for ****ing up my future.

Much how many of us feel. 

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Anytime.

What a scummy response.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

True, we shouldn’t let anyone with any mental health condition vote or anyone on medication either. It’s just not right.

There should surely be a way of ensuring that the vulnerable and impressionable aren't preyed upon. I mean, you can be absolutely pissed to the eyeballs, unable to drive a car; but you can still vote on matters that have wide ranging ramifications. I heard 50 million quid per day for the NHS a few times that day- what a lie that turned out to be (I saw right through it- it didn't add up at all, but how many people fell for it?  We will all be better off for leaving the EU.... maybe, in about 40 years time.

36 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Yeah we also have a set lol

Actually bought them for one of the kids rooms and it was only by pure chance that we realised they fall over easily before we left them in the room with the kid. They did come with the wall fixing bracket but we never would have thought a set of drawers would topple so easily. The fact that Ikea are happy to keep selling them when they’ve killed eight kids is really disturbing.

Presumably the front being made from better materials than the back.

Flat pack furniture is a pretty good reflection of the world we live in. Pretends that you get quality but actually it's just a veneer on top of cheap crap and false promises. Years ago you got the whole thing made of solid wood. Now it's an almost cardboard back and a 0.5 mm thick finish. Apparently this is progress.

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Then I guess I have you to thank for making my future brighter. 

Thank you! 

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

Flat pack furniture is a pretty good reflection of the world we live in. Pretends that you get quality but actually it's just a veneer on top of cheap crap and false promises. Years ago you got the whole thing made of solid wood. Now it's an almost cardboard back and a 0.5 mm thick finish. Apparently this is progress.

The solid wood stuff is still about, I don’t have any flat pack shit in my house. You can buy it from auctions for peanuts and it hasn’t killed anyone. Ikea customers shouldn’t be allowed to vote imo.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, toddybad said:

You choose to buy it. If you go to Ikea then expect to get horrible, cheap shit, you can't really moan about it after the event. Truth is you liked the price and got what you paid for

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The solid wood stuff is still about, I don’t have any flat pack shit in my house. You can buy it from auctions for peanuts and it hasn’t killed anyone. Ikea customers shouldn’t be allowed to vote imo.

lollol

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Then I guess I have you to thank for making my future brighter. 

Thank you! 

I fear you're going to be sorely disappointed.

@Rogstanley and @toddybad, re the Ikea drawers. Whilst our standards being lower than others allowing less safe products being sold to the public is a larger issue, I don't see the issue here. I have those drawers too and they provide you with, and always have I think, a bracket to secure it to a wall, (and I've never seen anyone have drawers like that free standing in the middle of a room) so secure it to a wall. Complaining about these falling over is like complaining your car windscreen isn't strong enough to stop you going through when you crash, which isn't an issue if you wear your seatbelt. Use the product properly and you'll be fine.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Errrrr.... I couldn't influence people either way. A shame really; the blatant mistruths that were told.

More a thank you for helping at the polls than any influence you might have had tbh. 

7 hours ago, toddybad said:

I fear you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Already disappointed. I was promised armageddon. Oh well, life goes on and all that. :thumbup: