Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

25 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

It wont happen overnight.  But in the long run electric cars will of course be the only thing we use. 

I genuinely think you are wrong, it’s far too limited, unless they resolve its limitations it cannot replace.

The property law solicitors in my firm are now utterly confused with regard to the stamp duty payments. At least with the change in the higher rate for second properties there was a definitive deadline and not an on the spot change. 

Unfortunate for those whom have completed within the past day or so too! 

Guest Foxin_mad
19 minutes ago, MattP said:

Anyone just see Corbyn go completely mental? lol

He was proper left wing mouth frothing today like a rabid dog. How anyone can say that guy is not a lunatic I don't know, so dangerous.

Most of his speech was complete bollocks and he couldn't even speak properly half the time, if he wasn't t-total I would have sworn he was a pissed old fart.

4 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Surely this Stamp Duty change will just drive house prices up?

I thought this, but seeing as neither the seller nor the agent sees any of it anyway why would it? Did the price of goods rise/fall in line with VAT when that changed? I can't remember. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

32 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I genuinely think you are wrong, it’s far too limited, unless they resolve its limitations it cannot replace.

The new tesla cars are the fastest ever built and have a range of over 500 miles from a half hour charge. Their new trucks are similar. The limitations have largely gone.

Key item on the budget was the growth forecast. First time in modern history that every year into the future sees expected growth of under 2%.

This figures shows the damage, which is caused by Britain’s weak productivity.

Growth:

• 2017: 1.5%, down from 2% in March’s budget
  • 2018: 1.4%, down from 1.6% 
  • 2019: 1.3%, down from 1.7% 
  • 2020: 1.3%, down from 1.9% 
  • 2021: 1.6%, down from 2.0% 

12 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Just bin stamp duty altogether ffs

7 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Surely this Stamp Duty change will just drive house prices up?

As a renter, can you tell me how much does stamp duty cost on an average house purchase? I've always assumed a buyer just looks at the overall cost compared to the mortgage they can get and so this sort of thing doesn't really have an impact. I may be well off the mark?

20 minutes ago, Buce said:

If it wasn't for the fact that Alf has met you in person, I'd be convinced that you are a Russian media bot.

What do we know about their meeting though? Did money change hands? What was the code phrase? "Do you want a pint of Tiger?" "No thanks I only drink Marstons."

Just now, toddybad said:

As a renter, can you tell me how much does stamp duty cost on an average house purchase? I've always assumed a buyer just looks at the overall cost compared to the mortgage they can get and so this sort of thing doesn't really have an impact. I may be well off the mark?

2% on houses over £125,000-£250,000 and higher if the value is more than that. I have just been quoted £1500 for a 200k purchase, which although is a relatively small in the grand scheme of borrowing it's an amount outside of the mortgage agreement and when you're already strapped for cash it does make a big difference!

23 minutes ago, Buce said:

If it wasn't for the fact that Alf has met you in person, I'd be convinced that you are a Russian media bot.

I made exactly this observation a few days ago.

We also saw this fantastic backtracking earlier which made me think maybe there was a glitch in the Matt-bot today.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

Just over a month to go for Corbyn to keep his promise at Glastonbury that he'll be Prime Minister by Christmas.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

I suppose it's not strictly a promise, more just a lie.

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Fair enough, we'll go with dumb prediction.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

2% on houses over £125,000-£250,000 and higher if the value is more than that. I have just been quoted £1500 for a 200k purchase, which although is a relatively small in the grand scheme of borrowing it's an amount outside of the mortgage agreement and when you're already strapped for cash it does make a big difference!

Ah okay the fact it falls outside the mortgage is something I have no experience of to know about. 

The flip side is an extra £10 billion into the inflationary help to buy scheme.

37 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

You really think we wont move away from petrol? Think they'll never be a time when we move away from fossil fuels completely? 

We're pretty much sunk if we dont

This. We'll change because if we continue to use fossil fuels in the way we do then at some point it will come back to bite us.

7 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Depends how much you're purchasing the property for and if you own additional properties. 

Before today, if you were a first time buyer buying a property for less than 125,000 you'd pay nothing.

Anything over 125,000 to the value of 250,000 you'd pay 2% of that value. so if you're buying for 135k it would be 2% of 10k.

My worry with this is that sellers will add the possible Stamp Duty savings onto the house price?

Edited by EnderbyFox

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

This. We'll change because if we continue to use fossil fuels in the way we do then at some point it will come back to bite us.

I am dreaming of the time when we see electric tanks (won't ever happen in my lifetime ).... and i mean the full size war machines.

3 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Depends how much you're purchasing the property for and if you own additional properties. 

Before today, if you were a first time buyer buying a property for less than 125,000 you'd pay nothing.

Anything over 125,000 to the value of 250,000 you'd pay 2% of that value. so if you're buying for 135k it would be 2% of 10k.

My worry with this is that sellers will add the possible Stamp Duty savings onto the house price?

The OBR has already said it will raise prices and will therefore be more beneficial to current homeowners than first time buyers