Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 minute ago, breadandcheese said:

Costume to my mind implies ridicule or something you wear to play at being something.  I wouldn't refer to a turban as a Sikh costume or a hijab as a Muslim costume.  Outfit or clothing are probably more appropriate words.

I think it means both. I think you'd have to want to read that into it to take it that way. 

Don't get me wrong, is rather diane Abbott was removed from the shadow cabinet, I'm just not convinced that this is the issue that should be causing it.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

Isn't costume a legitimate words for dress? As in national dress/national costume?

Exactly.  Deriding her for being an idiot over this just highlights that you don't understand English that well.

Just now, breadandcheese said:

Costume to my mind implies ridicule or something you wear to play at being something.  I wouldn't refer to a turban as a Sikh costume or a hijab as a Muslim costume.  Outfit or clothing are probably more appropriate words.

Look it up in a dictionary before trying to argue semantics lol 

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I think it means both. I think you'd have to want to read that into it to take it that way. 

Don't get me wrong, is rather diane Abbott was removed from the shadow cabinet, I'm just not convinced that this is the issue that should be causing it.

There's nothing sinister in what Diana Abbott said.  We've all said clumsy things. 

7 minutes ago, toddybad said:

So the party expelled him?

And he's a tosser?

But he mentioned Corbyn so suddenly his every word is true?

It needs to be established if team Corbyn said what they did.  If it's true, then the Jewish community have a right to question whether Jeremy Corbyn was talking to them as a PR exercise or whether he meant it.  He's told them in the past re: Livingstone and Jackie Walker that he can't get involved with internal Labour disciplinary procedures but Wadsworth's word would imply that his team have been operating behind the scenes.

Guest Foxin_mad
13 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Was the last crisis Labour's crisis or an international crisis? Remind me again.

I don't know you tell me which way is it? Either the government caused it or they didn't or don't. 

You cant blame the Tories for the current global economic slump if, you don't blame Labour for the last one.

I would definitely say the Brexit situation is having an impact of uncertainty at the moment yes, I suppose you could blame that on the Referendum which Cameron agreed to. But then why is that affecting Europe so badly?! I don't know. Maybe its coincidence. 

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Exactly.  Deriding her for being an idiot over this just highlights that you don't understand English that well.

Look it up in a dictionary before trying to argue semantics lol 

It reminds me of when Vince Cable used the word plebiscite after the EU ref and some Brexiters went "arrrghhhh typical liberal elite calling us plebs grrrrr".

• Like 1

Guest Foxin_mad
11 minutes ago, toddybad said:

7 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Sack them both I say! And that Corbyn Cvnt

Edited by Foxin_mad

Guest MattP
27 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Very impressive Matt, you've actually found a topic on which objective people with no agenda to push would defend Diane bleeding Abbott. lol  This is my new favourite faux outrage of the year so far.

Behave, I'm not outraged at all. I'm laughing at it. 

Although I'd be in interested to see the response if Trump or Farage mentioned Muslim women dressed in "costumes"....

Last one was international. Still waiting for the next one so can't really say what the cause will be yet. My prediction is the Tories due to their failure to invigorate the economy but could turn out to be something else.

Guest MattP
30 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

To be fair to Diane Abbott, it's a slip of the tongue on the spot, rather than anything malicious and should be seen as such. 

More worrying would be this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/abour-activist-suspended-jeremy-corbyn-reaction-marc-wadsworth-heckle-jewish-mp-a8325591.html 

Wadsworth claiming that "Jeremy Corbyn said he had “done nothing wrong’ and that the Labour leader’s team were “working behind the scenes” to help him."  

Asked whether he felt he had the support of Mr Corbyn and his team, Mr Wadsworth said: “When they called me on the first day of the hearing they told me that they’d been working behind the scenes, that what I said wasn’t antisemitism.

So one the one hand, Corbyn hides behind labour's disciplinary procedures for his inaction on antisemitism and talks about how he can't interfere in the process.  On the other, he is tries to work behind the scenes to do exactly that.  Is it any wonder that the Jewish community doesn't trust him and accuses him of duplicity when it comes to antisemitism?  

So Chris Williamson has now gave a character reference for a Labour member expelled for anti-semitism? lol

Just now, Foxin_mad said:

Sack them both I say! And that Corbyn Cvnt

If he very happy to see abbott gone. Her presence as shadow home secretary is a good reason to question corbyn's decision making tbf.

Guest Foxin_mad
1 minute ago, toddybad said:

Last one was international. Still waiting for the next one so can't really say what the cause will be yet. My prediction is the Tories due to their failure to invigorate the economy but could turn out to be something else.

There is certainly a slowdown happening at the moment at least in Europe. Cant see much impacting the US at present. 

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

If he very happy to see abbott gone. Her presence as shadow home secretary is a good reason to question corbyn's decision making tbf.

That's your next leader.

With Chris "Russia Today and everyday" Williamson as Foreign Sec, David "there are no police in my home office" Lammy replacing Diane and John "I don't support that murderer hung on my wall" McDonnell still dreaming of us taking a chance on shit or bust.

(Thornberry was deselected after receiving the endorsement of the Jewish Labour movement)

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Laughing at her you mean, even though for once she isn't saying something outright stupid lol  And as per your article there is outrage from some individuals and I still find that hilarious.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Although I'd be in interested to see the response if Trump or Farage mentioned Muslim women dressed in "costumes"....

Muh wherterbertery :plancque:

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Laughing at her you mean, even though for once she isn't saying something outright stupid lol

Yes laughing at her. That's the point of it.

Guest Foxin_mad
16 minutes ago, MattP said:

Or even May or Rudd. They would be classified as subhuman super bitches by some. 

There's a difference between using costume as a plural noun and as an uncountable noun e.g. "traditional Albanian costume". Though I realise that precisely nobody in this thread actually cares. And I doubt Abbot made the distinction, just a slip of the tongue. Anyway, that's all I have to contribute to the politics thread....

Edited by bovril

46 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

Regardless of what you find more appropriate, it is, in fact, the accepted and correct terminology:

https://costumes.lovetoknow.com/National_Costumes_of_the_World

https://www.missuniverse.com/post/2337

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/national+costume

https://www.megafancydress.co.uk/ladies-costumes-national-dress-costumes/

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/national_costume

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/national costume

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I think this could be bigger than that.

On most people’s standards, Rudd should have resigned long before today, but the Conservatives were actively trying to protect her and spin the argument.

This will go much deeper now, sources in the Home Office are actively briefing against the government, making May very much in the firing line here too.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Are you trying to draw a parallel between Jewish outfits and fancy dress? 

Just now, breadandcheese said:

Are you trying to draw a parallel between Jewish outfits and fancy dress? 

That's what you took from six links that could as easily have been sixty-six?

Desperate stuff.

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

On most people’s standards, Rudd should have resigned long before today, but the Conservatives were actively trying to protect her and spin the argument.

This will go much deeper now, sources in the Home Office are actively briefing against the government, making May very much in the firing line here too.

Hush now, this is the costume definition outrage thread.

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Amber Rudd should go, arguably not for the sh*tshow that is the Windrush scandal but for seemingly lying to the select committee.  With regards the Windrush scandal, I'm not sure how much is Amber Rudd's fault, as this became policy before her watch.

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

The quicker she goes the better, I said at the start she was incompetent and I'm certain they only put her in the role as she was a woman to get the 2-2 split. She's another good argument against tokenism in extremely important public positions. 

Hopefully we'll see her sacked and if they have to promote another woman let's get Priti Patel promoted - didn't really want to sack her anyway.