Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 minute ago, MattP said:

The quicker she goes the better, I said at the start she was incompetent and I'm certain they only put her in the role as she was a woman to get the 2-2 split. She's another good argument against tokenism in extremely important public positions. 

Hopefully we'll see her sacked and if they have to promote another woman let's get Priti Patel promoted - didn't really want to sack her anyway.

That would be a good appointment.

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

That would be a good appointment.

I was thinking about a Conservative team in a few years and I think she would be there.

Gove as PM, Rees-Mogg as Chancellor, Cleverly in the Foreign Office and Priti on home affairs - it's a dream team.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

That would be the Priti Patel forced to resign over another matter? 

That's the only problem. Needs a few years doesn't it?

Can be done though, if Mandelson can come back anyone can.

Just now, MattP said:

That's the only problem. Needs a few years doesn't it?

Can be done though, if Mandelson can come back anyone can.

I’m not so sure.

All the work Cameron did to try and dispel the commonly held belief that the stories are bunch of well educated higher class folk that don’t give a shit about anyone else seems like a wasted effort given the current line up.

6 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

You're trying to prove a point about how costume is correct terminology by posting links to megafancydress, miss universe, shutterstock?

Would the Oxford dictionary satisfy you?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/costume

Or the Cambridge?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/costume

3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Yeah, I couldn’t be arsed going back and seeing what that was all about.

I did see Diane Abbott mentioned, has she said something silly again? 

For once no, but some who don't English too good would have you believe yes.  Definition of non-story.

Ah! 

Just read the Daily Express report.

it is interesting the quote reads ‘costume’ but all of the criticism refers to ‘costumes’.

Read in context, I understand what Dianne is saying and wouldn’t choose to take offence - she’s making a valid point, even if the language is clumsy (that Jews in traditional dress are targetted because of it).

For me it’s opportunist outrage - the fact it’s Diane Abbott is as much a part of it as what was said. 

Its also interesting - am I seeing that those who would normally bemoan ‘political correctness has gone mad’ weighing in here?

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

Guest MattP
8 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I’m not so sure.

All the work Cameron did to try and dispel the commonly held belief that the stories are bunch of well educated higher class folk that don’t give a shit about anyone else seems like a wasted effort given the current line up.

More working class voted Tory at the last election than ever before.

They Tories won Mansfield, Stockton and Stoke South. The lost Kensington and Canterbury. That tells you all you need to know.

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Tory as per the full costume willy puller below

6a010535d07789970c0120a6fbab83970b-pi

I know, I know, he's too young to be a Tory.

Looking at that glasses and nose set I'd argue this post is anti-semitic.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

More working class voted Tory at the last election than ever before.

They Tories won Mansfield, Stockton and Stoke South. The lost Kensington and Canterbury. That tells you all you need to know.

I don’t think it does - week opposition and a policy high on the working class agenda (Brexit / immigration) are conditions that won’t remain constant. 

Anti-establishment sentiment won’t go away after Brexit - it will just focus itself elsewhere.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I don’t think it does - week opposition and a policy high on the working class agenda (Brexit / immigration) are conditions that won’t remain constant. 

Anti-establishment sentiment won’t go away after Brexit - it will just focus itself elsewhere.

Maybe, but I think Brexit could dominate elections for the next 15-20 years.

I hope it doesn't but no sign of change yet from local election results. 

19 minutes ago, MattP said:

Maybe, but I think Brexit could dominate elections for the next 15-20 years.

I hope it doesn't but no sign of change yet from local election results. 

Part of the reason Brexit dominates is because it’s been linked with the cause / solution to other social problems within society. 

So I see a cliff edge effect coming - once people feel Brexit has been done, attention will shift.

57 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Part of the reason Brexit dominates is because it’s been linked with the cause / solution to other social problems within society. 

So I see a cliff edge effect coming - once people feel Brexit has been done, attention will shift.

In a way Corbyn winning a slim majority could be the best thing to happen for the Tories. If he loses then the next time round they'll be a Labour landslide.

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, toddybad said:

In a way Corbyn winning a slim majority could be the best thing to happen for the Tories. If he loses then the next time round they'll be a Labour landslide.

If Labour loses next time, the party could tear itself apart.