Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Bus Lane Cameras - Are you one of the stupid ones?

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 15:06, smallpauldj said:

Before i became a bus driver myself i would have had the same views as many on here. However in my day to day life all i see is people desperate to be in front of the bus even willing to risk accidents to be in front.

Next to no one seems to know in the highway code you should stop and give way where ever possible for a bus indicating from a bus stop. When i took my psv i had it drilled into me if you go by a bus indicating from a bus stop and dont give way you will fail. Same rule even tho we pull away slower than a Snail on islands. If its clear we start moving and a car comes tearing around which we couldnt see but it has to break, its a fail. The point about people turning into Hillsborough i agree with. People should be able to move into the bus lane but they cant, And it means even the buses are in a queue. Driving up Lutterworth road in a bus in rush hour even with the bus lane is horrible. The lane isnt wide enough and as you go over the lights at Soar valley way we have to go into the other lane a tad. Before i drove buses i never saw the problems. Now i drive them, Every bus lane with no camera there is piss taking on a grand scale and not just the lanes. past the Haymarket car park the sign clearly says Buses, Taxis, Disabled and for loading. yet all day cars drive up there past that sign with no enforcement at all. Its the people ignoring the rules that make the council put the cameras up. Duns lane which goes past the Swimming baths at De Monfort is another bus and taxi only road coming from town towards Braunstone gate, funny how people coming the other way don't turn right into town as there is a camera, Yet in the morning we queue down it as there is no enforcement.  As for the you put a wheel over the bus lane you get fined, don't go over the line then. If i parked a little over your drive at home im sure you would have something to say about it. Like me the other buses are just trying to do our jobs, timetables on some routes are strict and hard to keep to we need all the help we can from you guys. I do agree also with bus lanes should not be 24 hour in Leicester, doing that really is a money maker.

How is Olive these days?

On 01/07/2017 at 15:06, smallpauldj said:

Before i became a bus driver myself i would have had the same views as many on here. However in my day to day life all i see is people desperate to be in front of the bus even willing to risk accidents to be in front.

Next to no one seems to know in the highway code you should stop and give way where ever possible for a bus indicating from a bus stop. When i took my psv i had it drilled into me if you go by a bus indicating from a bus stop and dont give way you will fail. Same rule even tho we pull away slower than a Snail on islands. If its clear we start moving and a car comes tearing around which we couldnt see but it has to break, its a fail. The point about people turning into Hillsborough i agree with. People should be able to move into the bus lane but they cant, And it means even the buses are in a queue. Driving up Lutterworth road in a bus in rush hour even with the bus lane is horrible. The lane isnt wide enough and as you go over the lights at Soar valley way we have to go into the other lane a tad. Before i drove buses i never saw the problems. Now i drive them, Every bus lane with no camera there is piss taking on a grand scale and not just the lanes. past the Haymarket car park the sign clearly says Buses, Taxis, Disabled and for loading. yet all day cars drive up there past that sign with no enforcement at all. Its the people ignoring the rules that make the council put the cameras up. Duns lane which goes past the Swimming baths at De Monfort is another bus and taxi only road coming from town towards Braunstone gate, funny how people coming the other way don't turn right into town as there is a camera, Yet in the morning we queue down it as there is no enforcement.  As for the you put a wheel over the bus lane you get fined, don't go over the line then. If i parked a little over your drive at home im sure you would have something to say about it. Like me the other buses are just trying to do our jobs, timetables on some routes are strict and hard to keep to we need all the help we can from you guys. I do agree also with bus lanes should not be 24 hour in Leicester, doing that really is a money maker.

How many cushions on the driver's seat ? :thumbup: 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

On 29/06/2017 at 14:26, Jon the Hat said:

I have a 4 year old

Though the kids and parent spaces were for people with pushchairs, etc...??

My 4 year old gets parked in the 'normal' bays so parents that have all the hassle of the pushchairs, or toddlers,  can park a bit closer.

No? 

14 hours ago, Milo said:

Though the kids and parent spaces were for people with pushchairs, etc...??

My 4 year old gets parked in the 'normal' bays so parents that have all the hassle of the pushchairs, or toddlers,  can park a bit closer.

No? 

Mine is a runner so if there are lots of spaces I'll take one.  Also got a big car :)

On 29/06/2017 at 21:48, Legend_in_blue said:

The most irritating situation with the parent and child spaces are those adults who take the **** with their 7 year old who jumps out the car before they've even turned off the ignition.

These spaces should be relabelled parent and pushchair spaces because that is precisely what they are needed for.  People take the **** - just because they have a child seat which caters for up to 12 should not give priority over those who genuinely need the space for a pushchair.

More irritating is the people who park in the parent and child bay and one parent gets out to go in the shop leaving other parent with kids in the car!

FFS!

• 2 years later...

no, not stupid but caught out by unclear signage. Travelling along Lutterworth road towards the city and prior to SVW there is a road called Gilmorton Avenue and prior to this there is an arrow allowing access to the bus lane which I interpreted as the end of the bus lane. This is easy to do if you are not familiar with the area. After about 100yds there is another arrow and sign stating the end of the bus lane, too late already caught!!!!!!!

LCC are not interested in changing this, it's just a money grab!!!!

1 hour ago, MarkS said:

no, not stupid but caught out by unclear signage. Travelling along Lutterworth road towards the city and prior to SVW there is a road called Gilmorton Avenue and prior to this there is an arrow allowing access to the bus lane which I interpreted as the end of the bus lane. This is easy to do if you are not familiar with the area. After about 100yds there is another arrow and sign stating the end of the bus lane, too late already caught!!!!!!!

LCC are not interested in changing this, it's just a money grab!!!!

Our friend's daughter who lives in Cov, got done in a city centre bus lane. they challenged it and took photos of the poor signage in the area. Apparently there's been a number of complaints about this area and signage. the Council accepted the appeal. 

Maybe worth an appeal??

I find it interesting that on the Narborough Road citybound bus lane, on the approach to the junction with Fulhurst Avenue, that just before Soulsby added his bus lane camera, they went along and shortened the length of the dashed line section where you can legally enter the lane to turn left. Funny how that section didn't need shortening for 10 odd years, but just before the camera is added it needed changing so that he can rake in more money from people who move over too early to get in the queue to turn left. Of course, this is now causing longer queues in the middle lane, but who cares about designing roads properly when there's a few extra quid to be made, eh?