Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Bus Lane Cameras - Are you one of the stupid ones?

The most irritating situation with the parent and child spaces are those adults who take the **** with their 7 year old who jumps out the car before they've even turned off the ignition.

These spaces should be relabelled parent and pushchair spaces because that is precisely what they are needed for.  People take the **** - just because they have a child seat which caters for up to 12 should not give priority over those who genuinely need the space for a pushchair.

Getting back on topic lol

The worst bus lane imo is Narborough Road going into town, where people turn left onto Fulhurst avenue. The amount of 'normal' road to turn left isn't adequate to be fair, but the amount of people that cut into the bus lane with about half a mile to go really takes the piss. Wish they'd put cameras on that bit instead of the one on Lutterworth Road that'll snap you for cutting it by anything over a few inches.

The bus lane camera on Lutterworth Road is in a completely unacceptable position.  There is not enough room between the bus stop and the main set of lights to police the area fairly.  You end up with a backlog of traffic that is forced to queue outside of the line of sight of the camera, causing more congestion, not less.

We've been told its designed to catch drivers driving through the lane, it's almost impossible to achieve this in heavy traffic because of drivers who are more likely to accidentally creep into it because of the pressure of traffic from behind trying to get over the lights on the left turn down towards Fosse Park.

In less congested times of the day, there's no need for it at all.  The bus lane should operate like the one down Welford Road at peak times only.

Clearly a money grabber and nothing else.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 4

Agreed. Speed cameras down there I could understand, but the bus lane cameras are just a money grab. What about when there's someone heading up Lutterworth Road coming from Blaby, and turns right onto Hillsborough Road, or any of them on that side. It would be so easy for the queuing traffic to 'undertake' as long as the bus lane is clear, but instead the traffic just builds and builds and eventually a few dozen cars arrive at the Soar Valley Way junction together and end up clogging that up!

46 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The bus lane camera on Lutterworth Road is in a completely unacceptable position.  There is not enough room between the bus stop and the main set of lights to police the area fairly.  You end up with a backlog of traffic that is forced to queue outside of the line of sight of the camera, causing more congestion, not less.

We've been told its designed to catch drivers driving through the lane, it's almost impossible to achieve this in heavy traffic because of drivers who are more likely to accidentally creep into it because of the pressure of traffic from behind trying to get over the lights on the left turn down towards Fosse Park.

In less congested times of the day, there's no need for it at all.  The bus lane should operate like the one down Welford Road at peak times only.

Absolutely right.

Its a disgrace. 

21 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Of course it is. 

As you rightly say, there's no room to move into the left turn lane, which causes huge tailbacks down Lutterworth Road, which is frustrating because probably 50% of drivers want to go down Soar Valley Way.

From an emergency services point of view, if we are inbound to the city on blue lights, people quite rightly, will not move to the left to allow us room to pass as they will be snapped. This means we are forced into the oncoming traffic which is risky to the car drivers that come from Asquith Boulevard into Lutterworth Road. It causes so many difficulties for those that travel that way regularly. 

The tailbacks inbound on Lutterworth Road often go back to Little Glen Road. Ridiculous!!

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 13:23, Parafox said:

I guess you're right. It's a moot point anyway.

I am disabled, I go shopping late,...problem is there are always some pricks, taking over the disabled park places. Even police cars..!!

Now theres a Parafox...ooops   a Paradox...:o

On Thu Jun 29 2017 at 21:48, Legend_in_blue said:

The most irritating situation with the parent and child spaces are those adults who take the **** with their 7 year old who jumps out the car before they've even turned off the ignition.

These spaces should be relabelled parent and pushchair spaces because that is precisely what they are needed for.  People take the **** - just because they have a child seat which caters for up to 12 should not give priority over those who genuinely need the space for a pushchair.

Sainsburys in thurmaston have got it spot on with their parent and kid spaces. They have them further away from the door but on the main path. Because they're not bang at the entrance, no one wants the spaces except for the parents who need the extra space to get car seats in and out. It's the only supermarket where we can almost guarantee being able to get one of the parent and kid spaces everytime.

32 minutes ago, syston_fox said:

Sainsburys in thurmaston have got it spot on with their parent and kid spaces. They have them further away from the door but on the main path. Because they're not bang at the entrance, no one wants the spaces except for the parents who need the extra space to get car seats in and out. It's the only supermarket where we can almost guarantee being able to get one of the parent and kid spaces everytime.

There isn't a Sainsburys in Thurmaston?

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

It's on Melton Road, where GE Lighting used to be for many years.

That's Rushey Mead. As an aside you can see the house I used to live in from the carpark.

On 29/06/2017 at 21:54, Hollism said:

Getting back on topic lol

The worst bus lane imo is Narborough Road going into town, where people turn left onto Fulhurst avenue. The amount of 'normal' road to turn left isn't adequate to be fair, but the amount of people that cut into the bus lane with about half a mile to go really takes the piss. Wish they'd put cameras on that bit instead of the one on Lutterworth Road that'll snap you for cutting it by anything over a few inches.

Oooh, if I had a pound for every time I've sworn at someone for being in that lane before they should be when I'm trying to pull into it AT THE POINT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO, I could probably eat on my own at Nando's or something

9 hours ago, Webbo said:

There isn't a Sainsburys in Thurmaston?

Sorry I'll try again. The Sainsburys that is within spitting distance of thurmaston but technically is in Rushey Mead although everyone around here still classes it as Thurmaston due to it being very close to the border.....have got it spot on with their parent and kid spaces. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, syston_fox said:

Sorry I'll try again. The Sainsburys that is within spitting distance of thurmaston but technically is in Rushey Mead although everyone around here still classes it as Thurmaston due to it being very close to the border.....have got it spot on with their parent and kid spaces. 

Not if you're from Rushey Mead you don't.

Before i became a bus driver myself i would have had the same views as many on here. However in my day to day life all i see is people desperate to be in front of the bus even willing to risk accidents to be in front.

Next to no one seems to know in the highway code you should stop and give way where ever possible for a bus indicating from a bus stop. When i took my psv i had it drilled into me if you go by a bus indicating from a bus stop and dont give way you will fail. Same rule even tho we pull away slower than a Snail on islands. If its clear we start moving and a car comes tearing around which we couldnt see but it has to break, its a fail. The point about people turning into Hillsborough i agree with. People should be able to move into the bus lane but they cant, And it means even the buses are in a queue. Driving up Lutterworth road in a bus in rush hour even with the bus lane is horrible. The lane isnt wide enough and as you go over the lights at Soar valley way we have to go into the other lane a tad. Before i drove buses i never saw the problems. Now i drive them, Every bus lane with no camera there is piss taking on a grand scale and not just the lanes. past the Haymarket car park the sign clearly says Buses, Taxis, Disabled and for loading. yet all day cars drive up there past that sign with no enforcement at all. Its the people ignoring the rules that make the council put the cameras up. Duns lane which goes past the Swimming baths at De Monfort is another bus and taxi only road coming from town towards Braunstone gate, funny how people coming the other way don't turn right into town as there is a camera, Yet in the morning we queue down it as there is no enforcement.  As for the you put a wheel over the bus lane you get fined, don't go over the line then. If i parked a little over your drive at home im sure you would have something to say about it. Like me the other buses are just trying to do our jobs, timetables on some routes are strict and hard to keep to we need all the help we can from you guys. I do agree also with bus lanes should not be 24 hour in Leicester, doing that really is a money maker.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Bloody hell and now there's a rumour in barkby?! Turf wars all over the shop

Might be Barkby Thorpe, it says Thurmaston in it's address though.