Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

17 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If one looks at the article there, the title is a bit sensationalist.

Monbiot isn't saying that no plan we have won't work as the title implies, but rather the plans we are implementing now won't work, which is pretty common knowledge.

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If one looks at the article there, the title is a bit sensationalist.

Monbiot isn't saying that no plan we have won't work as the title implies, but rather the plans we are implementing now won't work, which is pretty common knowledge.

Yes, nothing overly new, but thought it was a decent summary of where we’re at. Many, like our esteemed PM still dragging their feet on existing targets, let alone trying to move along more rapidly, despite the risks to our collective wellbeing.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58508001

Well, that's depressing.

Another sign of how far some of the powerful will go to keep their power, though. Of course, the darkly comfortable thing about it is, should they stay the same course, that long term the Earth will take care of such people in its own way and avenge these brave people anyway so there's no way they will "win". (Just a shame about everything else it would cost.)

• Like 2

On 17/09/2021 at 12:33, leicsmac said:

https://phys.org/news/2021-09-climate-goals-pledges-fulfilled.html

It can be done. As long as current national governments can be taken at their word.

.....shit.

https://www.dailyposter.com/does-not-present-sufficient-cause/

Just seen this pop up in one of my feeds. Seems even when people vote for the "right" people, it still won't happen. 

Pretty much time to just admit we're ****ed and enjoy the time we have left I guess. 

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.dailyposter.com/does-not-present-sufficient-cause/

Just seen this pop up in one of my feeds. Seems even when people vote for the "right" people, it still won't happen. 

Pretty much time to just admit we're ****ed and enjoy the time we have left I guess. 

...or it won't happen despite lip service to it, yeah. Sigh.

Still, I'm of the opinion that a Dem administration can at least be persuaded to do more of the right thing here. Slim hope is better than none at all.

And nah, the day I give up hope on this one you can measure me for pine. Rage against the dying of the light. Always.

Edited by leicsmac

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58665809

Feel like we've been talking about this for years but it's finally getting towards being implemented.  Hopefully we see the same standards from device manufacturers by virtue of proximity to the market with these common-sense regulations in place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58665809

Feel like we've been talking about this for years but it's finally getting towards being implemented.  Hopefully we see the same standards from device manufacturers by virtue of proximity to the market with these common-sense regulations in place.

Yes, and can we also get rid of all the wall warts for all the other devices by standardising in some way.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Did anyone watch 'Neurino: Hunting the Ghost Particle' on BBC4 last night? What a brilliant programme it was! The neutrino, rather like Angel Delight, comes in three main flavours, and it's the hunt for a mysterious 'sterile' fourth flavour that could lead the way to particle physicists getting a better understanding of dark matter.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, String fellow said:

Did anyone watch 'Neurino: Hunting the Ghost Particle' on BBC4 last night? What a brilliant programme it was! The neutrino, rather like Angel Delight, comes in three main flavours, and it's the hunt for a mysterious 'sterile' fourth flavour that could lead the way to particle physicists getting a better understanding of dark matter.   

Particle physics is one of those areas where I'm thinking we still don't have anywhere close to a full picture yet; indeed, we may never have it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, String fellow said:

So this show is all about scientists tasting neutrinos then? 

Think they've got way too much time and money on their hands :whistle:

5 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

So this show is all about scientists tasting neutrinos then? 

Think they've got way too much time and money on their hands :whistle:

I don't know why 'flavour' was used to describe the three main types of neutrino, but if they could be tasted, they'd be easy to detect. Billions of them pass through us every minute undetected, so knowing more about them would be good. Research of this type invariably produces benefits in other areas of science and technology, so whilst it may seem as if time and money are being wasted, mankind as a whole may well benefit in the long run. Who knows - maybe it could lead eventually to the discovery of anti-gravty, something that Hitler's scientists dreamt of, and the invention of an entirely new form of air transport. Less far into the future, apart from neutrinos potentally leading to the detection of dark matter, if it exists, they could also reveal the sites of underground plutonium production, thereby perhaps helping to reduce the spread of nuclear weapons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

I don't know why 'flavour' was used to describe the three main types of neutrino, but if they could be tasted, they'd be easy to detect. Billions of them pass through us every minute undetected, so knowing more about them would be good. Research of this type invariably produces benefits in other areas of science and technology, so whilst it may seem as if time and money are being wasted, mankind as a whole may well benefit in the long run. Who knows - maybe it could lead eventually to the discovery of anti-gravty, something that Hitler's scientists dreamt of, and the invention of an entirely new form of air transport. Less far into the future, apart from neutrinos potentally leading to the detection of dark matter, if it exists, they could also reveal the sites of underground plutonium production, thereby perhaps helping to reduce the spread of nuclear weapons.

I don't really think they are wasting time or money. It was just a bad joke :D

The benefits that come out of scientific discovery are usually there for all to see so for me the more scientists in the world the better.

• Like 1