Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

We will probably go the same way as Mars eventually right?

Mars is barren now because it lost its magnetic field, leaving it unprotected from solar wind which stripped away the atmosphere. I think (IIRC) it was to do with it having a smaller liquid metal core which cooled and stopped spinning.

I don't think that will happen with us. 

That's if my notoriously unreliable memory is right about the above. 

7 hours ago, Sly said:

When does the Earth plunge back into an ice age? 

6 hours ago, Buce said:

About 500,000 years time.

It's normal cycle of 50.000 years has been interupted by increased greenhouse gas emitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

And the Northern Hemisphere could get very cold sooner if the North Atlantic Current is disrupted badly.

It's very difficult to know exactly of the consequences for the future and on what timeframe as we don't yet fully understand the processes, especially with human activity posing a unique variable - only that there will be consequences and they will most likely be extreme.

5 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

We will probably go the same way as Mars eventually right?

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Mars is barren now because it lost its magnetic field, leaving it unprotected from solar wind which stripped away the atmosphere. I think (IIRC) it was to do with it having a smaller liquid metal core which cooled and stopped spinning.

I don't think that will happen with us. 

That's if my notoriously unreliable memory is right about the above. 

Venus is our future, not Mars.

As the Sun ages, its increasing luminosity (long before it becomes a red giant) will push global temperatures firstly up to a point where life cannot exist, and then onto a Venusian hothouse state with a similar temperature and thick atmosphere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Mmmm, when it gets too close no doubt those with a vested interests in fossil fuels will buy the rights to the technology and 'file them'.

This is a conspiracy theory I have long believed actually has legs.

However, considering the money-grubbing psyche of the people involved, the better news is that they would only suppress such tech so long as it was less profitable than fossil fuels. I've every reason to suspect that fully grown, it would be much more so.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/extreme-heat-climate-change-human-behavior-aggression-equity

So, not only will climate change make many resources scarcer and thus increase the odds of people wanting to fight over them, the increased heat levels will make us more likely to want to pick a fight intrinsically anyway.

That's not a great combo.

21 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

I think technically we’re in one at the moment. Been going on a while.

Yeah, we're in an "interglacial", the time between two much colder periods.

NB. People who say that the Earth was much warmer in the past and still supported life are correct but hugely missing the point; any drastic change in temperature is going to cause problems to humans until and unless we adapt to it.

20 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I didn't even know China had a Mars rover, makes you wonder what else they've achieved that barely receives coverage in favour of Nasa.

They're certainly taking it pretty seriously.

20 hours ago, The Bear said:

Very. Gonna take ages to get it all up there and assembled. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58408911

Judging by this it might be a good idea for the rest of the world to actually let them into the club on this one issue.

48 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Energy generation overall is still the biggest issue, but yes - getting substitutes for meat and dairy products is something of a matter of urgency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

I'm wondering if there is any reason why the UK should indulge in any way whatsoever the short-term self-interest of the Morrison administration over the long-term future of human civilisation.

Answers on a postcard.

• Like 2