Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scotch

Who will the fringe players want?

Was just wondering if players like Amartey, Grey, Slim, Ulloa, chillwell and Musa might get game time from specific managers who play a certain way and what ones might even shine under a new manager and what managers do you reckon might perform such miracles... 

Not sure about fringe per se but Iheanacho, Gray, Mahrez, Silva, Slimani, Maguire, Mendy and sod knows who else will probably be crying out for a manager that wants to actually keep the ball and play football.

I don't particularly want De Boer but he'd have been a lot more successful here than at Palace. The most criminal thing about our hoofball obsession really is that we keep signing players that would be much happier if we actually build up a bit of possession and looked to fashion chances with a tad more patience. Slimani, Iheanacho, these guys want to be on the front foot. They're not Vardyesque chasers.

I would agree. The problem is with having that type of manager come in is that, until January he's going to be left with a CM who just can't keep the ball so it's going to NEED to be someone with more than one trick up his sleeve as he'll need to be able to find a system that suits our current crop before bringing a CM pairing in that can play the football we all want to see and managers like that are hard to find/tempt to a team like Leicester.

I so hope we get somebody, preferably with his own coaching team, who can look at the squad with a totally fresh perspective and ask "how do I get the best results with this collection of players?" That will mean no shoe-ins because this or that player is essential to our current 'style', or a senior member of the club, or is the current captain, or one of the core group, or had a great season in 15/16, blah blah blah. 

Play an XI that, with some work and patience, will be our best in the shorter and longer term. 

I wish people would stop talking about a style we haven't played regularly since we won the league as if it isn't working.

We don't have a style at all. A Leicester player gets the ball, stops it, looks up to see no options and has no idea what to do with it.

We're not playing the style we played 2 years ago and we're not playing a different style. It's just a collection of clueless individuals with no direction.

8 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

We wouldn't have stayed in the Premier League and got to the Champions League Quarter Finals last season without a style! You might not like our style of play but it's been the most successful one since the days of O'Neill, so I wouldn't be so quick to say tear it all up and go in a different direction. Sure, we can slowly adapt and change but ripping up the foundations, playing the likes of Musa or Amartey or whoever isn't getting games and expecting some pretty continental football I'm sure isn't coming anytime soon, we'll still keep playing to our counter attacking strengths.

we didnt win the title with hoofball, the vast majority of counters were fast direct passes on the ground as well as running at other teams.

Now we just hoof it up field with low accuracy.

In addition the first part of the title season we went at teams from kickoff, and won by "scoring more than the other team", we moved to counter attack when we switched in fuchs, simpson and kante into the team after the arsenal game.

Hopefully the new man will ban 'hoof-ball', which may mean it is 'curtains' for some of the squad.   Personally, I would introduce a fines system for any incomplete pass.  Then those players, that find themselves forced to live on an income similar to that of the average LCFC fan, may change their ways and demand a move.

Looking at the previous achievements by most of the new signings its hoped that the new guy will be able to tap into their qualities.

Further strengthens the argument of why did we promote Shakey as the side needed to evolve, we'd bought £150m of players and he was always going to replicate what then worked for us, but not now.

25 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The problem is we don't have anyone in midfield who can get past the first man, whereas in the title winning season, Albrighton, Kante and Mahrez all would beat their man then distribute the ball and start a counter attack, now no one can dribble around any one then release it to start an attack so we just lump it over everyone hoping for Vardy. We don't have anyone who is as good a passer as Drinkwater either so it's much more inaccurate too

It was more Kanté and/or Drinkwater, then the wingers, then the striker. The midfielders didn't have to beat their first man, they had to give the ball forward and launch either Albrighton or Mahrez, who just shouldn't have to run from our own half with already 2 players at their neck. Because by then the momentum is lost and the opponent already has regrouped.

This crucial first pass forward isn't happening anymore. We get the ball back, pass sideways or backward, the momentum is lost and then the auto-hoof occurs. Rinse and repeat.

I was thinking about this earlier too. We have been criticising the recruitment and massive spend the last few seasons, but the players we have bought have been successful at their previous clubs.

Now looking at it again, I think their slow starts have been down to a core group of players ruling the roost, making it difficult for new players to settle and a backroom set up that consults key players about formations etc.

Oh and hoof ball.

Let's get a manager in who will sort this mess out and play to the strengths of all the players, especially those who can pass.

20 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

It was more Kanté and/or Drinkwater, then the wingers, then the striker. The midfielders didn't have to beat their first man, they had to give the ball forward and launch either Albrighton or Mahrez, who just shouldn't have to run from our own half with already 2 players at their neck. Because by then the momentum is lost and the opponent already has regrouped.

This crucial first pass forward isn't happening anymore. We get the ball back, pass sideways or backward, the momentum is lost and then the auto-hoof occurs. Rinse and repeat.

Spot on. Kante was absolutely key to our style of play. His ball winning, rapid forward running and forward passes created the space that Mahrez in particular exploited and Drinkwater excelled in. 

This is something I have been thinking about recently - do we have a major problem with some of the old guard. Your either in the clique or your out.

Ive never thought about it until these last few days but think about all of the foreign players who have arrived with good reputations - Inler, Musa, Slimani, Mendy, Armartey, even Iheanacho is struggling so far, and not "settled". Is this because of off the pitch squad issues. The old guard protecting their positions and not integrating new signings?

Archived