Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Gas Explosion in Birstall

Like I said in the other thread a lot of the gas mains in those houses run in the screed in steel pipe. 

I was renewing someone’s gas main on that road a year ago to the day on Saturday. The gas transporter had been out and capped the gas off after the resident had smelt gas and he’d detected a drop.

£20 says the same things happened here. 

Ive just been told that the gas transporter were around the property yesterday morning after reports of a smell of gas but couldn’t find anything 

9 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m not gonna lie, I was myself after hearing about it and working on that road. 

Whoever it is will end up doing time I imagine 

Same. I work in the gas industry (as a supplier of equipment) and I always worry when there's an explosion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Same. I work in the gas industry (as a supplier of equipment) and I always worry when there's an explosion. 

It’s a heck of a responsibility and serves to remind the public of why Gas Engineers can be so costly to use.

Talking shop for a moment here, but it’s always made me think what would happen RE a gas explosion and a Gas Safe Registered operative-

Imagine a job has been carried out according to latest standards, then some time in the future this happens. Surely they can’t be held accountable then. When you do your tightness test to ensure the gas is sound, you’re only saying it’s 100% at that very moment. In the same way when a car passes its MOT

46 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It says in the mercury, neighbors had been complaining about a strong gas smell the day before.

Just been mentioned on radio Leicester the gas company did attend the address on Sunday, what happened after that then?

Somethings not right if they have been out and this is the result a day after.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, promised land said:

Just been mentioned on radio Leicester the gas company did attend the address on Sunday, what happened after that then?

Somethings not right if they have been out and this is the result a day after.

Probably couldn’t be arsed shifting half a tonne of snow to get the road up 

4 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

It’s a heck of a responsibility and serves to remind the public of why Gas Engineers can be so costly to use.

Talking shop for a moment here, but it’s always made me think what would happen RE a gas explosion and a Gas Safe Registered operative-

Imagine a job has been carried out according to latest standards, then some time in the future this happens. Surely they can’t be held accountable then. When you do your tightness test to ensure the gas is sound, you’re only saying it’s 100% at that very moment. In the same way when a car passes its MOT

I totally agree, we do have similar responsibilities it the fire alarm game but if a customer doesn’t have the system serviced periodically we are in the clear. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The old lady that was taken to hospital has died unfortunately.

Yes just saw this, very sad.

How very tragic to be killed whilst being tucked up safely in your own house.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-42320938

Birstall house explosion: Woman dies in hospital

p05qvqp7.jpg

Media captionAerial footage shows Birstall blast wreckage

A woman has died in hospital following a gas explosion at a house in Leicestershire.

Two men were also injured - one is in a stable condition in hospital and the other has been discharged.

The blast occurred in Allington Drive, Birstall at about 07:30 GMT on Monday. One house was destroyed, another torn in half and 50 others were damaged.

A "handful" of families spent Monday night in temporary accommodation and an investigation is under way.

Updates on this story and more from across the East Midlands

The two collapsed houses before and afterImage copyrightGOOGLE AND EAST MIDLANDS AMBULANCE SERVICE Image captionThe two collapsed houses before and after

The gas maintenance company Cadent, which supplied the collapsed house in Birstall, has confirmed it attended a call-out on Allington Drive on Sunday.

Chris Rison, from Cadent, said: "We were called and we attended to a job on this street.

"I can't go through the details of that attendance because that's all part of the investigation but it's true that we attended."