Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Gas Explosion in Birstall

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-42306576

Three people have been injured - one seriously - in a gas explosion at a house in Leicestershire.

Police, ambulance and fire were called to reports of a loud bang at the Birstall property at 07:30 GMT.

The fire service said one person with serious injures was rescued from the rubble of the collapsed semi-detached house and airlifted to hospital.

Two other people from the adjoining property were also taken to hospital.

Updates on this story and more from the East Midlands

Emergency services a scene of gas explosionImage copyrightPA Image captionA number of houses in the street have been evacuated

Allington Drive is closed and a number of houses in the street have been evacuated as a precaution.

Damage to houses in gas explosionImage copyrightPA Image captionThe semi-detached property had collapsed, a neighbouring property had partially collapsed and six other properties had been damaged in the gas explosion

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said the house had collapsed, a neighbouring property had partially collapsed and six others had been damaged.

The fire service said no fire had been reported and no smell of gas.

House collapses in gas explosionImage copyrightPA Image captionThe gas company said it was too early to speculate on the cause at this time

Tim Hargraves, East Midlands Ambulance Service duty operations manager, said: "One patient has been taken by air ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, one patient has been taken by air ambulance to the Major Trauma Centre in Coventry, and one patient is due to be taken by ambulance to the Leicester Royal Infirmary."

A spokesman from Cadent Gas, the collapsed home's supplier, said: "We are currently on site and our priority at this time is to make safe and we are working with the emergency services to achieve this.

"It's too early to speculate on the cause at this time."

Skip Twitter post by @royrollings

We are aware of a large explosion at a property in Birstall. Our first thoughts are with all those involved. @CharnwoodBC emergency plans are being put into place to help all involved.

End of Twitter post by @royrollings

A Charnwood Borough Council spokesman said: "We were called to support the emergency services following reports of a loud bang and a house being damaged in Allington Drive, Birstall earlier this morning.

"We have sent a senior officer to the scene, an officer from our building control team and volunteers to help provide temporary emergency accommodation at Birstall Parish Council offices in Birstall.

"An officer is also visiting the scene in case people affected by the incident need short-term temporary accommodation in the coming days."

House destroyed in explosionImage copyrightPA Image captionA fundraising page has been set up to help those affected by the gas explosion

Tony Timson, who lives nearby, said: "I was in bed and heard this massive explosion about 7:30.

"I quickly looked out of the window and saw debris settling on the street. I came out of the house and about 100 yards down the road was a house and a big black puff of smoke. It was completely demolished.

"We knew someone was in there."

He said within 10 minutes of calling the emergency services, the fire brigade was there.

A fundraising page has been set up to help those affected by the gas explosion.

5 Live were reporting at lunchtime that the blast could be heard in nearby villages! 

Certainy made a mess of the house 

Incredible to think you could be sat there eating your corn flakes and then boom! your house is reduced to match wood.

Sounds like a miracle no one was killed, and hopefully the "serious" injury is non life threatening.

Posted in the how was your day thread that it shook our house and sounded like a really loud, dull thud - we live on the other side of the village. Apparently the gaff the explosion happened in hasn't been occupied for a while.

Some of the aerial photos look ridiculous, hope everybody gets over it.

SWNS_BLAST_AERIAL_10.jpg

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

ISIS have claimed responsibility.

Really? Otherwise I'd suggest it's a little soon for jokes

I was in my bathroom with the window open when it happened and the sound was phenomenal (less than half a mile away), shook our house. Hope that those involved make a speedy recovery - from the photos and what I heard, I'm amazed that more people weren't injured

45 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Really? Otherwise I'd suggest it's a little soon for jokes

I was in my bathroom with the window open when it happened and the sound was phenomenal (less than half a mile away), shook our house. Hope that those involved make a speedy recovery - from the photos and what I heard, I'm amazed that more people weren't injured

It was a joke, I read that everyone got out ok and hope that was the case.

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Posted in the how was your day thread that it shook our house and sounded like a really loud, dull thud - we live on the other side of the village. Apparently the gaff the explosion happened in hasn't been occupied for a while.

Some of the aerial photos look ridiculous, hope everybody gets over it.

SWNS_BLAST_AERIAL_10.jpg

:nigel:

Blown the front door off the house two doors away...

Edited by Babylon

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

:nigel:

Blown the front door off the house two doors away...

Allington drive is quite narrow there so the houses opposite would get the full force of it too, a plumber at work said last year, the build up you need to demolish a house through an explosion is huge and someone should smell something before it gets to that, that's if it was a gas fault. Either way it's horrific to happen.

House with the blown off door needs reroofing too, concrete tiles have all shifted, garage doors opened, it's like a war zone. 

Edited by promised land

12 minutes ago, promised land said:

Allington drive is quite narrow there so the houses opposite would get the full force of it too, a plumber at work said last year, the build up you need to demolish a house through an explosion is huge and someone should smell something before it gets to that, that's if it was a gas fault. Either way it's horrific to happen.

House with the blown off door needs reroofing too, concrete tiles have all shifted, garage doors opened, it's like a war zone. 

The Mrs Dad lives about 40 metres away, deaf as a post and completely oblivious to what happened lol

Going to tell my neighbours to get their boiler checked why I get home!

49 minutes ago, promised land said:

It says in the mercury, neighbors had been complaining about a strong gas smell the day before.