Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Costock_Fox

Exercise

Good lifts!

Is that one-rep-max or working weight? And how do you do your OHP?

I say that, because at the moment I'm doing 4 sets of 5-6 reps on bench press at 100kg, but can only just about manage 7-8 reps of 60kg with my OHP. Not sure whether we're just doing them differently, or whether my shoulders are ridiculously weak.
Working. Not done one rep max as I don't have a spotter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2017 at 16:43, Merging Cultures said:
On 27/08/2017 at 15:42, Charl91 said:

Good lifts!

Is that one-rep-max or working weight? And how do you do your OHP?

I say that, because at the moment I'm doing 4 sets of 5-6 reps on bench press at 100kg, but can only just about manage 7-8 reps of 60kg with my OHP. Not sure whether we're just doing them differently, or whether my shoulders are ridiculously weak.

Working. Not done one rep max as I don't have a spotter.

When you d'ont have a spotter you should definitely switch to dumbbels, 125lbs and 150lbs are pretty common in any gym nowadays.

18 minutes ago, DelBoy73 said:

When you d'ont have a spotter you should definitely switch to dumbbels, 125lbs and 150lbs are pretty common in any gym nowadays.

Doing it at home... the gyms here are not that great :(

I'll have a look around though, a friend of mine does go to one, but my schedule is pretty full, so working out at home is easier.

6 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

I'll pop some ibuprofen tonight when going to bed, because it's always the next day that is the killer!!!

The other week I did my legs on Sunday and then bank holiday Monday spent 5 hours gardening which pretty much involved me staying in the squat position for about 4 of them hours and I'm not lying when I say it took me over a week before I could walk properly and I go to the gym pretty often. Absolute killer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

Doing it at home... the gyms here are not that great :(

I'll have a look around though, a friend of mine does go to one, but my schedule is pretty full, so working out at home is easier.

I didn't see your location, what are you doing out there in east Africa ?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 22:42, lee7 said:

Anyone on here ever taken testosterone boosting tablets? 

yes mate , no great shakes unfortunately .

Pro hormones work if you want to put a stone on quick but they are not natural and you need other supplements with them too .

5 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

yes mate , no great shakes unfortunately .

Pro hormones work if you want to put a stone on quick but they are not natural and you need other supplements with them too .

Any advice appreciated even if you want to DM me :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

It's nearly my birthday and I am now up to 302lbs/137kg/21.5stone for my squats (5x5). I've never been this strong even when I was younger and playing sport reasonably regularly. When I started lifting about 7 months ago, I laughed at reaching 220lbs/100kg/15stone for squats, but I managed it relatively quickly. 300lbs has taken a bit longer to achieve, looking at my last post it was 269lbs on 12 Sept so I pretty much added 30lbs in 3 months, not a lot. In the new year I hope I'll be more consistent and my new target is to squat 400lbs, but that will have to be a 1 rep max I think, I can't imagine doing more than one rep at that weight.

I am still a little way off my 200lbs/90kg/14.2stone bench press target (currently still stuck at 176lbs/80kg/12.6stone, had to deload several times, and my form has been rubbish), hopefully early in the new year after some time away from the weights I'll come back refreshed and ready to smash that target.

Edited by Merging Cultures
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

It's nearly my birthday and I am now up to 302lbs/137kg/21.5stone for my squats (5x5). I've never been this strong even when I was younger and playing sport reasonably regularly. When I started lifting about 7 months ago, I laughed at reaching 220lbs/100kg/15stone for squats, but I managed it relatively quickly. 300lbs has taken a bit longer to achieve, looking at my last post it was 269lbs on 12 Sept so I pretty much added 30lbs in 3 months, not a lot. In the new year I hope I'll be more consistent and my new target is to squat 400lbs, but that will have to be a 1 rep max I think, I can't imagine doing more than one rep at that weight.

I am still a little way off my 200lbs/90kg/14.2stone bench press target (currently stuck at 176lbs/80kg/12.6stone), hopefully early in the new year after some time away from the weights I'll come back refreshed and ready to smash that target.

Some good lifts there mate. Apologies if you have already mentioned before but are you doing 5 x 5 training across all muscle groups? Do you Deadlift, Row & Military press?

16 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Some good lifts there mate. Apologies if you have already mentioned before but are you doing 5 x 5 training across all muscle groups? Do you Deadlift, Row & Military press?

Following the Stronglifts 5x5 programme, so squats 3 times a week, and then a rotation of overhead press and dead lift, and  benchpress and row.

I'll probably be moving my squats to 5x3 as it is taking way too long to complete the full workout now that they are heavy. I might increase the dead lifts to 5x3 from 5x1, because I am not seeing as much progress as I'd like there. It's also at 300lbs but I think I can do more, but not when it is just every other workout for just 5x1. 

I'm currently doing:
Squat: 137kg/302lbs/21.5stone - this was my target for the year, so I am very pleased to have hit it
OHP: 55kg/121lbs/8.6stone - deloaded this drastically to remove any bounce I was using to throw heavier weights up, now it is strict on the form
DL: 122kg/268lbs/19.2stone - meh, I've struggled with this unfortunately, I am trying to work on form but it hasn't been easy
BP: 80kg/176lbs/12.5stone - I deloaded several times, and have been concentrating on form, hope to get to 90kg/200lbs early next year
ROW: 80kg/176lbs/12.5stone - as my back has strengthened this has become much easier

Edited by Merging Cultures

5 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Following the Stronglifts 5x5 programme, so squats 3 times a week, and then a rotation of overhead press and dead lift, and  benchpress and row.

I'll probably be moving my squats to 5x3 as it is taking way too long to complete the full workout now that they are heavy. I might increase the dead lifts to 5x3 from 5x1, because I am not seeing as much progress as I'd like there. It's also at 300lbs but I think I can do more, but not when it is just every other workout for just 5x1. 

I followed a similar program and I found like you that squatting took up far too much time. I cut it down to twice a week and added an extra bench session. The extra session I would do a heavy dumbbell session and I seemed to have improved my bench and not taken a hit on my squat as I've had more time to recover.

I am the sort of person to get bored carrying out such a strict program so I do tend to mix it up monthly just for a bit of a change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I followed a similar program and I found like you that squatting took up far too much time. I cut it down to twice a week and added an extra bench session. The extra session I would do a heavy dumbbell session and I seemed to have improved my bench and not taken a hit on my squat as I've had more time to recover.

I am the sort of person to get bored carrying out such a strict program so I do tend to mix it up monthly just for a bit of a change.

I'd say I got pretty bored as things didn't progress as quickly as they did at the start of the programme. I've just started taking some pre-workout supplements and creatine, and I think that has helped me push over the 300lbs for the squat, and in doing so has rekindled a bit more dedication to the programme.

26 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

I'd say I got pretty bored as things didn't progress as quickly as they did at the start of the programme. I've just started taking some pre-workout supplements and creatine, and I think that has helped me push over the 300lbs for the squat, and in doing so has rekindled a bit more dedication to the programme.

Yeah I find the supplements help a lot. Especially on days where you don't feel like training. I've trained on and off for years but it's only really in the last 6 - 8 months that I've decided that I want to focus on strength and power rather than the traditional 10 - 12 reps per exercise. I've noticed serious improvements in terms of weight lifted. I fancy doing something that really tests myself and to give me more of a end goal. Not sure what. At 14.5 stone I don't think I can compete in worlds strongest man!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Yeah I find the supplements help a lot. Especially on days where you don't feel like training. I've trained on and off for years but it's only really in the last 6 - 8 months that I've decided that I want to focus on strength and power rather than the traditional 10 - 12 reps per exercise. I've noticed serious improvements in terms of weight lifted. I fancy doing something that really tests myself and to give me more of a end goal. Not sure what. At 14.5 stone I don't think I can compete in worlds strongest man!

Yeah, you'd have to double your weight to compete with Eddie Hall! What about the 'crossfit games'? 

I've previously run a marathon and a few halfs, but this is the first time I've worked on strength properly, I don't think I'll do any competitions or anything, so I think I'll be setting my own personal strength targets (300lbs squat now needs to be rethought!). Other than that, for me it's about getting fit, and being able to look after my family if needed. 

9 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Yeah, you'd have to double your weight to compete with Eddie Hall! What about the 'crossfit games'? 

I've previously run a marathon and a few halfs, but this is the first time I've worked on strength properly, I don't think I'll do any competitions or anything, so I think I'll be setting my own personal strength targets (300lbs squat now needs to be rethought!). Other than that, for me it's about getting fit, and being able to look after my family if needed. 

I've thought about the idea of joining a Crossfit club but it all seems to much like a cult for my liking! A bit like vegans telling everyone they are vegan, 'Crossfitters' only talk about Crossfit! Apologies if you are a vegan by the way. Just a generalisation. Plus it's very expensive.

A friend of mine did a strongman competition for under 90kgs so that's a possibility. If not I will do as you are and set my own targets.

I've just ordered some knee wraps. I don't want to go any heavier without them. Similar to you, I have a family to look after too and I can't do that with no knees!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I've thought about the idea of joining a Crossfit club but it all seems to much like a cult for my liking! A bit like vegans telling everyone they are vegan, 'Crossfitters' only talk about Crossfit! Apologies if you are a vegan by the way. Just a generalisation. Plus it's very expensive.

A friend of mine did a strongman competition for under 90kgs so that's a possibility. If not I will do as you are and set my own targets.

I've just ordered some knee wraps. I don't want to go any heavier without them. Similar to you, I have a family to look after too and I can't do that with no knees!

Vegan!? nah!!!

I use knee wraps and a belt. Actually, I use basic knee supports (by Oppo), I don't like the wraps I have as they are too restrictive, but I probably need to practice using them more. The belt (4" leather belt by RDX) has helped me no end, but I wouldn't suggest using one until the weights are very heavy as I do think it can take away some core strength. What wraps have you ordered?I was "raw" until I got above my body weight (substantial!! Currently 257lbs/18.3 stone).

What weights are you lifting at the moment?

I use a belt. Always have done. Not worth the risk is it? Only takes poor form on a heavy weight and you're knackered.

I have no idea why I said knee wraps, as I meant knee sleeve. I've ordered an SBD knee sleeve. Recommended it by the friend who competed. Not cheap though. £60 a pair I paid.

Squat - 1 rep max is at 175kg.. I did 180kg on Saturday but my form was awful and that's when I decided to purchase knee sleeves.

Overhead press - 1 rep max is 77.5kg as of this morning. Can do that with relative ease but 80kg was impossible.

Deadlift - 1 rep max is at 210kg using wrist wraps but 180kg without. I've become too reliant on the wraps so I've stopped using to build up my grip. Calluses don't help. 

Bench - 1 rep max is at 130kg. Don't have a spotter so it's a while since I've done that. Usually do 110kg 5 x 5. Hoping to push on in the new year. Worst exercise for me.

Row -  I do 5 x 5 and I do a pendlay row, rather than a conventional. 100kg.

I've been mixing it up recently. I've stopped the traditional 5 x 5 training and focused on 1 of the above exercises once week (I row and deadlift on the same day). So for example I'll work up to my 1 rep max and then de-load back down. I'll add in traditional body building exercises too.

I stopped the traditional 5 x 5 about a month ago as it was too time consuming due to my workload but in the next 10 days I finish work for 3 weeks so I'll hit the 5 x 5 and see where I'm at. Do 5 x 5 for about 6 weeks then re-start what I am doing now to see if my 1 rep max has improved.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

I use a belt. Always have done. Not worth the risk is it? Only takes poor form on a heavy weight and you're knackered.

I have no idea why I said knee wraps, as I meant knee sleeve. I've ordered an SBD knee sleeve. Recommended it by the friend who competed. Not cheap though. £60 a pair I paid.

Squat - 1 rep max is at 175kg.. I did 180kg on Saturday but my form was awful and that's when I decided to purchase knee sleeves.
Overhead press - 1 rep max is 77.5kg as of this morning. Can do that with relative ease but 80kg was impossible.
Deadlift - 1 rep max is at 210kg using wrist wraps but 180kg without. I've become too reliant on the wraps so I've stopped using to build up my grip. Calluses don't help. 
Bench - 1 rep max is at 130kg. Don't have a spotter so it's a while since I've done that. Usually do 110kg 5 x 5. Hoping to push on in the new year. Worst exercise for me.
Row -  I do 5 x 5 and I do a pendlay row, rather than a conventional. 100kg.

I've been mixing it up recently. I've stopped the traditional 5 x 5 training and focused on 1 of the above exercises once week (I row and deadlift on the same day). So for example I'll work up to my 1 rep max and then de-load back down. I'll add in traditional body building exercises too.

I stopped the traditional 5 x 5 about a month ago as it was too time consuming due to my workload but in the next 10 days I finish work for 3 weeks so I'll hit the 5 x 5 and see where I'm at. Do 5 x 5 for about 6 weeks then re-start what I am doing now to see if my 1 rep max has improved.

Hope that makes sense.
Crickey! They're some serious numbers. Congrats!!
  • Like 1