Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Costock_Fox

Exercise

31 minutes ago, FLAN said:

I'm getting back after a broken ankle then a couple of months out due to wife being ill. No time for gym so started to play 5 a side for an hour twice a week. Want to get back to the gym asap

Brave with the footy post ankle! Good luck mate and hope the wife is mending too.

On 29/03/2017 at 09:28, Nugent said:

3 sets of 5 bench press @ 95kg this morning, getting close to the 100kg holy grail

I own 90kg of weight and an Olympic bar and bench (20kg bar) which I can lift - I really don't think I'd do any more without a smith machine or a spotter!

Edit: 90kg in total including the bar....

Edited by Nick

2 hours ago, Buce said:

lol

Well, fortunately I work from home (and the Mrs is a vegan!).

I don't intend it to be a long term thing (taking Creatine, not working from home) but as you found yourself with just a short lay off, it's easy to lose fitness, and I was off for six months or so. I'm not sure of your age but I'm in my late fifties and found getting back into shape gets harder the older one gets, and Creatine has given me the boost I needed. I reckon another couple of months and I'll be able to drop it.

Well my 30's are about to end soon! I've been a real athlete and a real podgy ale drinker too - hoping my 40's will find moderation for the first time in my sinful life!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shaneb said:

I'd love to go to the gym, but I have no idea what i'm doing and I don't like crowded places. It's a poor excuse I know. 

I tend to start things at home and never finish them. I used to do Insanity and run loads and now I have just become lazy due to many injuries I seem to pickup

Moderation is a bitch. Drink 3 times a week and train hard 3-4 times a week running and burpese for cardio and bench and dumbbells and squats and deadlifts - sort you out in no time!

39 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Moderation is a bitch. Drink 3 times a week and train hard 3-4 times a week running and burpese for cardio and bench and dumbbells and squats and deadlifts - sort you out in no time!

Yeah this is true, I should probably start doing something

14 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Been doing stronglifts 5x5 for 8 weeks and i've had to take a week off completely.  

My body feels completely drained.

Anybody else tried this programme?

I did it for about 6 weeks recently, in the end I just got bored and it's hard to progress on 5 x 5 once the weights get proper heavy. The squatting 3 times a week completely ****ed me as well!

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 09:28, Nugent said:

3 sets of 5 bench press @ 95kg this morning, getting close to the 100kg holy grail

55 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I own 90kg of weight and an Olympic bar and bench (20kg bar) which I can lift - I really don't think I'd do any more without a smith machine or a spotter!

Edit: 90kg in total including the bar....

75kg is my absolute limit.

I feel really inadequate now. :(

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Nah I still do work with 70kg I flat bench more than that but incline and decline I'm at 70kg reps... :)

14 minutes ago, Buce said:

No shame in that, that's decent weight, even the biggest/strongest bodybuilder's in the world benched 75kg at some point!

37 minutes ago, Nugent said:

I did it for about 6 weeks recently, in the end I just got bored and it's hard to progress on 5 x 5 once the weights get proper heavy. The squatting 3 times a week completely ****ed me as well!

Yeah the squats really battered me on Friday.

Plus I went vegetarian 2 weeks ago and hadnt accounted for the drop

in iron!!

Any suggestion on which programme to switch to?

5 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Yeah the squats really battered me on Friday.

Plus I went vegetarian 2 weeks ago and hadnt accounted for the drop

in iron!!

Any suggestion on which programme to switch to?

There are loads of vegetable sources of iron (kale, green leafy veg, legumes, lentils, chick peas, red kidney beans, almonds, cashews, dried apricots, dates, molasses, cocoa..).

Top tip: consuming iron-rich foods with a source of vitamin C increases absorption by as much as 5x. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

I can barely chest press 60kgs so 75 is decent. I'm not trying to get big though, just lean.

Squats and lunges are murder for the arse and hamstrings for the next few days.

Yeah, I'm not looking to get big, it's just strength training.

I have an ambition to hike the Te Araroa (a 3,000 km long distance trail in New Zealand) when I've retired, and carrying a heavy pack up the side of a mountain doesn't get any easier as you get older.

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yeah, I'm not looking to get big, it's just strength training.

I have an ambition to hike the Te Araroa (a 3,000 km long distance trail in New Zealand) when I've retired, and carrying a heavy pack up the side of a mountain doesn't get any easier as you get older.

Sounds brutal! 

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sounds brutal! 

I guess, but I'm just not the kind to grow old gracefully.

I hiked a few long distance trails before I met the Missus, but I was a lot younger then and fitness came easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buce said:

Well, if it makes you feel better Buce,  I feel even more inadequate now I know that not only you know your politics and are able to debate eloquently but you also find time to work out lol

I have sporadic foot/ankle problems. Something in my inner right ankle 'popped' probably a year or two ago and it can feel awkward when I rotate it, but worst of all I occasionally get a sort of cramping pain on the top of my foot and can barely walk on it sometimes. Don't know if it's some sort of tendonitis. Anyone know any decent podiatrists etc?

59 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Well, if it makes you feel better Buce,  I feel even more inadequate now I know that not only you know your politics and are able to debate eloquently but you also find time to work out lol

You're too kind, mate. :)

Mrs B works permanent nights, so I have to find something to do with my time once my kid's in bed,, lol

1 hour ago, Libertine said:

I have sporadic foot/ankle problems. Something in my inner right ankle 'popped' probably a year or two ago and it can feel awkward when I rotate it, but worst of all I occasionally get a sort of cramping pain on the top of my foot and can barely walk on it sometimes. Don't know if it's some sort of tendonitis. Anyone know any decent podiatrists etc?

Jimmy Saville.

• 3 months later...

I've been doing stronglifts5x5. When I started I laughed at the idea of squatting 100kg. It seemed way too heavy. Well, to my surprise I've busted through that!

I'm currently doing:
Squat: 105kg
OHP: 66kg
DL: 115kg
BP: 80kg
ROW: 50kg.

I hate the row. It hurts my back, I just can't get the posture right.

I know my weights aren't huge, but I do feel much stronger, and my wife is impressed :)

• Like 2

I've dropped off a little bit from going 6 times a week. My target weight was 11 stone and I'm now at about 10.5 because  I've been in a new job where I can't maintain what I was eating.

This has its plus sides though, I practically eat what I want and never put the weight back on. Leg day for me today.

7 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

I've been doing stronglifts5x5. When I started I laughed at the idea of squatting 100kg. It seemed way too heavy. Well, to my surprise I've busted through that!

I'm currently doing:
Squat: 105kg
OHP: 66kg
DL: 115kg
BP: 80kg
ROW: 50kg.

I hate the row. It hurts my back, I just can't get the posture right.

I know my weights aren't huge, but I do feel much stronger, and my wife is impressed :)

Good lifts!

Is that one-rep-max or working weight? And how do you do your OHP?

I say that, because at the moment I'm doing 4 sets of 5-6 reps on bench press at 100kg, but can only just about manage 7-8 reps of 60kg with my OHP. Not sure whether we're just doing them differently, or whether my shoulders are ridiculously weak.

Edited by Charl91

1 minute ago, Charl91 said:

Good lifts!

Is that one-rep-max or sets? And how do you do your OHP?

I say that, because at the moment I'm doing 4 sets of 5-6 reps on bench press at 100kg, but can only just about manage 7-8 reps of 60kg with my OHP. Not sure whether we're just doing them differently, or whether my shoulders are ridiculously weak.

I've only just started but find that I can bench about double what I can OHP, it's the only set that I come out feeling bad about myself for, feel so weak lol 

I've just started slowly going through every available incline from flat to 85 adjusting weight as necessary and have seen improvement. 

1 minute ago, anotherharboroughfox said:

I've only just started but find that I can bench about double what I can OHP, it's the only set that I come out feeling bad about myself for, feel so weak lol 

I've just started slowly going through every available incline from flat to 85 adjusting weight as necessary and have seen improvement. 

I used to do my OHP seated with dumbbells, and I thought I was pretty awesome (using 40kg dumbbells) but I eventually realised that I had the bench reclined too much, and was using too much of my chest rather than my shoulders. Once I had the bench much straighter, my lifts dropped dramatically, and I realised how shit I was at OHP lol

So I've switched to standing OHP using the barbell at the moment. Probably only about 60% of my bench press strength though.