Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Costock_Fox

Exercise

Just read through the whole thread, some good advice.

Recently started going to the gym for the last couple of weeks. Been going 2 times a week, chest/triceps/shoulders one day and back/abs/biceps other day. Want to start going more maybe 4 times a week. Any suggestions for each session? Need to start doing legs as well

Edited by LCFCtotheprem

31 minutes ago, LCFCtotheprem said:

Recently started going to the gym for the last couple of weeks. Been going 2 times a week, chest/triceps/shoulders one day and back/abs/biceps other day. Want to start going more maybe 4 times a week. Any suggestions for each session? Need to start doing legs as well

I used to do the same.  Now I do chest/tri/shou at the start of the week, next session I do a full on bodyweight circuit.  Plenty of dips, pull ups, press ups (various angles), box jumps, skipping, battle ropes, shadow boxing and burpees.  Next session back, abs and biceps and then last session of the week legs.  Loads of squats, lunges, leg press and calf raises.  Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs then Fri/Sat/Sun off (although i’ll usually do a yoga session or go swimming or both in those days).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LCFCtotheprem said:

It’ll be more efficient to do full body 3x per week, focussing on the major compound lifts, leaving at least one rest day in between workouts. If you want to go 4 times then throw in some cardio or core/mobility work on the 4th workout.

Splitting workouts into body parts is for people going 6, 7 or more times per week and/or people who are already well advanced. There’s no point messing around doing little isolation workouts like bicep curls until you’ve made solid progress on the main compound lifts, IMO.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LCFCtotheprem said:

Does anyone know a good simple workout plan for beginners? Was planning to train 4 times a week. But been looking at plans and many are complicated, and I only know how to do some of the exercises. Also, don’t trust myself without a spotter 

Depends what your goal is to be fair mate.

I have slipped so far off the wagon with this, lucky if I do 3 days exercise a week which I understand is still a decent amount but when I see the pictures of me 12 months ago I was in incredible shape.

Difficult to get the balance I guess between not being a maniac who refuses to eat anything bad and eating shit 24/7 lol.

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Depends what your goal is to be fair mate.

I have slipped so far off the wagon with this, lucky if I do 3 days exercise a week which I understand is still a decent amount but when I see the pictures of me 12 months ago I was in incredible shape.

Difficult to get the balance I guess between not being a maniac who refuses to eat anything bad and eating shit 24/7 lol.

I’m quite skinny, so just to bulk up a bit. Mainly just to look good than for the strength tbh haha. Also, just want to test myself to see if I can have the discipline to do it

22 minutes ago, LCFCtotheprem said:

Does anyone know a good simple workout plan for beginners? Was planning to train 4 times a week. But been looking at plans and many are complicated, and I only know how to do some of the exercises. Also, don’t trust myself without a spotter 

Try the 5x5 Stronglifts, it worked for me. 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise. Focuses mainly on compound lifts (Bench press, shoulder press, deadlifts, squats etc) and you can track your progress on the app.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LCFCtotheprem said:

I’m quite skinny, so just to bulk up a bit. Mainly just to look good than for the strength tbh haha. Also, just want to test myself to see if I can have the discipline to do it

22 hours ago, Lionator said:

Try the 5x5 Stronglifts, it worked for me. 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise. Focuses mainly on compound lifts (Bench press, shoulder press, deadlifts, squats etc) and you can track your progress on the app.

Yeah, I'd roughly agree with that, you want to focus on the ones above (I also can't recommend pull ups enough).  The only thing I'd say is that I'd probably do more reps than 5 per set. I tend to do 5 sets of 8 - 10. It's really all about the amount of volume you do, and you'll be better off with a slightly low weight but more reps.But then again, different things work for different people.

The other piece of advice I'd give is don't worry too much about getting the perfect routine. I think too many people get hung up on the scientifically best routine. As long as you're in the gym fairly regularly, lifting heavyish weights with correct form, you're going to make progress. After a while, you tend to find what works/doesn't work for you, and can modify accordingly.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2018 at 21:41, LCFCtotheprem said:

I personally condense my routine into three days. I have chest/triceps on one day, back and biceps on a second day, and shoulders/legs on a third day. Ideally I do three days, then one day rest, so I can roughly hit each thing twice a week (well, twice every 8 days). At the moment, work is screwing with my routine though, so I'm probably 2 days on, one day off.

In an ideal world, I'd probably dedicate a bit more time to legs (I can't squat because of dodgy knees), but if you're dedicated, the PPL (push, pull, legs) routine is supposed to be pretty good. https://www.myprotein.com/thezone/training/push-pull-legs-routine-best-mass-building-workout-split/

On 27/08/2017 at 14:42, Charl91 said:

Good lifts!

Is that one-rep-max or working weight? And how do you do your OHP?

I say that, because at the moment I'm doing 4 sets of 5-6 reps on bench press at 100kg, but can only just about manage 7-8 reps of 60kg with my OHP. Not sure whether we're just doing them differently, or whether my shoulders are ridiculously weak.

Also (sorry for triple post!) looking back, was quite nice to find this post!

Now managing 5 sets of 10 at 60kg with OHP, and bench press is 7-8 reps on 100kg. Not great progress, but I'd convinced I'd got weaker, so that's quite reassuring lol  

1 hour ago, Charl91 said:

I personally condense my routine into three days. I have chest/triceps on one day, back and biceps on a second day, and shoulders/legs on a third day. Ideally I do three days, then one day rest, so I can roughly hit each thing twice a week (well, twice every 8 days). At the moment, work is screwing with my routine though, so I'm probably 2 days on, one day off.

In an ideal world, I'd probably dedicate a bit more time to legs (I can't squat because of dodgy knees), but if you're dedicated, the PPL (push, pull, legs) routine is supposed to be pretty good. https://www.myprotein.com/thezone/training/push-pull-legs-routine-best-mass-building-workout-split/

Cheers for the advice. Yeah been looking online and so many different routines etc. 

• 1 month later...

I could do with a bit of advice from you gym monkeys out there please :D

First of all, I don't go to the gym but I've got some free weights at home that I haven't used for ages. In my mid forties now and I've always been on the slim/skinny side no I'll never be muscle man - just want to increase my strength really.

I had major abdominal surgery at Xmas and dropped below 8st but back up to 9st now so thought I'd start exercising again. One of the guys at the golf club advised me to forget the weights and just do push ups and tricep dips against the side of the bath! I thought it sounded a bit odd but I gave it a go on Saturday.

To my surprise, I did 2 x 20 push up's and 2 x 15 tricep dips. Feeling quite proud of my first attempt in years I woke up the next morning and my arms and shoulders were fvckin killing me! It's now Tuesday and they still ache like fvck. I want to do some more reps but my muscles are telling me they're not ready yet :(

Is this called DOM's? If so, it's been 3 days now FFS. How do you get rid of it and how can some people go to the gym every day and not get this?

You have doms because you used muscles that you haven't in ages. It can take up to 5 days for really bad ones like you have. The more you work out the more your muscles get used to the load and stress so the doms almost completely go. Well I say that but leg doms seem to be a different story!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, every time I get a new piece of equipment, it takes time to embed it it into a workout or routine as it smashes a particular muscle for a few days which upsets everything! This is perfectly normal. I do 60-100 press ups a day (aside from 3 workouts a week and 2 runs to try and stave off my three drinking sessions a week which I work slightly harder that than my weights and has more success at enlarging my belly than my training narrowing it) but 20 at a time throughout the day [often in odd locations ?] to keep me burning fuel and my upper body engaged... The snag is making sure your shoulders and cuff rotators are warm and stretched so you don’t give yourself an injury. Dips will do triceps and anterior deltoids which are not used a whole lot in normal life so it’ll smart for a bit! I recently purchased a dip station and a 18 kg kettle ball into my circuit to do swings with and I found the dips not only really alien and hard to do at first but certainly painful next day!

Try in the first two weeks creating a muscle base by doing a few press ups, squats and dips throughout each day but just say 5 of each twice a day. 4 times a week. After a couple of weeks you’ll have a base to work from and can go more reps and sets in harder sessions say three times a week without such prolonged aching periods!

21 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

To my surprise, I did 2 x 20 push up's and 2 x 15 tricep dips. Feeling quite proud of my first attempt in years I woke up the next morning and my arms and shoulders were fvckin killing me! It's now Tuesday and they still ache like fvck. I want to do some more reps but my muscles are telling me they're not ready yet :(

Is this called DOM's? If so, it's been 3 days now FFS. How do you get rid of it and how can some people go to the gym every day and not get this?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yep, every time I get a new piece of equipment, it takes time to embed it it into a workout or routine as it smashes a particular muscle for a few days which upsets everything! This is perfectly normal. I do 60-100 press ups a day (aside from 3 workouts a week and 2 runs to try and stave off my three drinking sessions a week which I work slightly harder that than my weights and has more success at enlarging my belly than my training narrowing it) but 20 at a time throughout the day [often in odd locations ?] to keep me burning fuel and my upper body engaged... The snag is making sure your shoulders and cuff rotators are warm and stretched so you don’t give yourself an injury. Dips will do triceps and anterior deltoids which are not used a whole lot in normal life so it’ll smart for a bit! I recently purchased a dip station and a 18 kg kettle ball into my circuit to do swings with and I found the dips not only really alien and hard to do at first but certainly painful next day!

Try in the first two weeks creating a muscle base by doing a few press ups, squats and dips throughout each day but just say 5 of each twice a day. 4 times a week. After a couple of weeks you’ll have a base to work from and can go more reps and sets in harder sessions say three times a week without such prolonged aching periods!

You don’t do 60-100 press ups a day you fibber!

Lifting yourself out of bed isn’t a press up! And running for the bus isn’t ‘a run’.

Finally, downing a bottle of white lightning at home isn’t ‘a drinking session’.

:thumbup:

• Haha 1

Just now, Col city fan said:

You don’t do 60-100 press ups a day you fibber!

Lifting yourself out of bed isn’t a press up! And running for the bus isn’t ‘a run’.

Finally, downing a bottle of white lightning at home isn’t ‘a drinking session’.

:thumbup:

Get your comedy ass out of this thread on your burger van and back into the Dieting [“But I smashed a massive Ruby last night”] Thread !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

First of all, I don't go to the gym but I've got some free weights at home that I haven't used for ages. In my mid forties now and I've always been on the slim/skinny side no I'll never be muscle man - just want to increase my strength really.

I had major abdominal surgery at Xmas and dropped below 8st but back up to 9st now so thought I'd start exercising again. One of the guys at the golf club advised me to forget the weights and just do push ups and tricep dips against the side of the bath! I thought it sounded a bit odd but I gave it a go on Saturday.

I know you are limited as to what you can eat, Izzy, so I'm not sure how useful this will be, but you probably won't be surprised to learn that I take a dietary approach:

http://main.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1262/Top_Ten_Foods_To_Reduce_Muscle_Soreness_&_Speed_Recovery_After_A_Tough_Workout.aspx

• Thanks 1

I said in the dieting thread that I’ve started doing work outs at home from YouTube where you don’t need any weights etc.

No idea how much good they are doing for me but if you go flat out as a complete beginner they would do your core strength the world of good.

Basic exercises on the videos are squats, running on the spot with your knees up, variations of press ups, variations of sit ups, lunges etc etc.

Ive been doing Joe Wicks work outs for 2 weeks and now going to try and get cracking on with Insanity. I did two of the Insanity guys work outs yesterday and they are pretty good.

• Like 1

Thanks Una, Swan, Buce and Costock. All good advice for a novice like me :)

I think it was just a shock to my system as Una said, as I haven't used those muscles for ages. I think I'll end up trying to stagger it so I exercise either upper body, legs or core each day and hopefully build my overall strength up that way. Also starting Pilates again in a few weeks which always helps. Cheers :thumbup: 

4 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Thanks Una, Swan, Buce and Costock. All good advice for a novice like me :)

I think it was just a shock to my system as Una said, as I haven't used those muscles for ages. I think I'll end up trying to stagger it so I exercise either upper body, legs or core each day and hopefully build my overall strength up that way. Also starting Pilates again in a few weeks which always helps. Cheers :thumbup: 

I did some bicep curls last night for over an hour ....    by the time I’d finished I’d drank 4 pints ..   :)

Joking apart ...  I stopped going to the gym ages ago, but plenty of walking, a bit of cycling, pilates and a few press ups every day should keep you in shape mate ...    treat yourself to the odd massage too ...   all helps.      Don’t do too much ...  or try things you know you can’t maintain.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

I did some bicep curls last night for over an hour ....    by the time I’d finished I’d drank 4 pints ..   :)

Joking apart ...  I stopped going to the gym ages ago, but plenty of walking, a bit of cycling, pilates and a few press ups every day should keep you in shape mate ...    treat yourself to the odd massage too ...   all helps.      Don’t do too much ...  or try things you know you can’t maintain.  

Yeah, right...

5aba56037f048_dirtyoldman.png.865e17f3861e5fd817debd2a47732890.png

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ive started going this year. Twice a week 30mins rowing 6500-7000m (damper on max cos i am a muppet) and recumbent for 30mins 10miles.

I only go for the exercise, and I wasn't particularly bothered about weights/muscle building etc. 

However I am now looking at expanding into other bits of equipment. What is good for upper body and chest?

40 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Ive started going this year. Twice a week 30mins rowing 6500-7000m (damper on max cos i am a muppet) and recumbent for 30mins 10miles.

I only go for the exercise, and I wasn't particularly bothered about weights/muscle building etc. 

However I am now looking at expanding into other bits of equipment. What is good for upper body and chest?

Literally just barbell bench including incline and do dips and that's ya chest sorted.do bb rows and pull-ups to balance it out for ya back tho.