Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Williams to Man City?

Ideally, we'd keep hold of him and then if and when things improve (which actually isn't guaranteed), he'd become a more valuable member of the team. As it happens, I imagine any saleable asset which isn't vital in january, will be sold should money be offered.

Trouble is, selling technically good players isn't something that any likes to see. It's a shame he doesn't put more effort in. But its a sign of the times for us and in my opinion 5ish years of very poor management that now we can't afford ANY luxury players. It's all hands to the pump.

There is the problem of the 'Connolly effect' if we do sell him though. I can't count how many times I've heard people saying 'why isn't Williams playing? he's our best player' this week just because he's been left out for two games. If we sell him in January I'd imagine he'll become the best player we ever had, Levein's biggest mistake was selling him, Levein out, we're doomed now, etc etc.

Fair point actually Louise. Perception, whether it be accurate or not, is important.

I haven't seen us play this season and Williams was ok ish for us for parts of last season. Could see the potential there. If he's not delivering the goods for us though... either:

a) He doesn't want to be here

b) He doesn't have the ability we suspect he has

c) In a poor team, he is a luxury (and waste of space)

d) Our system of play doesn't suit him

e) He's not suited to Championship football.

I actually think he'd be a better player in the prem, more suited to it. Whether he's got the ability I don't know. The fact is, whilst Levein is here, playing the style of football he is, Williams will have little or no positive impact on games.

If we don't change our style of play, we're better off without him cos he ain't producing the goods.

I haven't seen us play this season and Williams was ok ish for us for parts of last season. Could see the potential there. If he's not delivering the goods for us though... either:

a) He doesn't want to be here

I actually think he'd be a better player in the prem, more suited to it. Whether he's got the ability I don't know. The fact is, whilst Levein is here, playing the style of football he is, Williams will have little or no positive impact on games.

It would be understandable if he were not too happy at the moment.

After all, this is not the Leic city he originally moved to...It is a different squad, under different management and playing a different style of football.

It would be understandable if he were not too happy at the moment.

After all, this is not the Leic city he originally moved to...It is a different squad, under different management and playing a different style of football.

The first two of those I'd agree with but not the last. Although we've not showed it much recently I'm sure that Williams is happier playing Levein's style of football than he was playing Adams's style of football.

Any offer over 500k and we'd be ridiculous not to sell.

The guy is a luxury player, decent on his day, but his day occurs once every 4 matches. His workrate is pathetic and all the "we should keep hold of him, he could become good" talk is rubbish - he lacks the core component of a succesful player, work rate. Until that is sorted he will deservedly remain out of the first team squad at Leicester.

IMO Williams is a talented footballer, capable of dictating the pace of a match and with good vision and is an excellent passer of a ball. Early in the season he was one of our best players, coincidently whilst we were playing our best football.

But CL altered the style of play to make us more difficult to beat, this meant that players such as Williams were given more defensive responsiblity, which we all agree is not Williams greatest attribute. This led to a dip in form and because Gareth is not strong at tackling and because he is laid back he appears to not care which is bollox.

The truth of the matter, is we have never seen the best of Williams, not because he is a poor player, or he has a poor attitude, or that he doesnt care about our club. The reason is that since we signed him, we have very rarely played a style of play that suits him or that enables him to stamp his authority on a match. I will guarentee you, put Williams in a team that plays fast flowing attractive attacking football and he will look a completely different player.

IMO he was the right signing at the wrong time. Lets be honest Stephen Hughes has also not been at his best in the centre of midfield, granted he has looked better than Williams, but he hasnt been able to control games either, I think at present our tactics are stifling our flair players, there is too big an emphasis on the defensive responsibility and this is negating their effectiveness.

IMO Williams is a talented footballer, capable of dictating the pace of a match and with good vision and is an excellent passer of a ball. Early in the season he was one of our best players, coincidently whilst we were playing our best football.

But CL altered the style of play to make us more difficult to beat, this meant that players such as Williams were given more defensive responsiblity, which we all agree is not Williams greatest attribute. This led to a dip in form and because Gareth is not strong at tackling and because he is laid back he appears to not care which is bollox.

The truth of the matter, is we have never seen the best of Williams, not because he is a poor player, or he has a poor attitude, or that he doesnt care about our club. The reason is that since we signed him, we have very rarely played a style of play that suits him or that enables him to stamp his authority on a match. I will guarentee you, put Williams in a team that plays fast flowing attractive attacking football and he will look a completely different player.

IMO he was the right signing at the wrong time. Lets be honest Stephen Hughes has also not been at his best in the centre of midfield, granted he has looked better than Williams, but he hasnt been able to control games either, I think at present our tactics are stifling our flair players, there is too big an emphasis on the defensive responsibility and this is negating their effectiveness.

Exactly right in my opinion.

You think he don't have poor attitude! Rumour has it he was seen leaving Walkers at half time.couldnt be bothered to watch second half,and he gets paid! It should of been us fans leaving then,not that lazy git. Get rid.

Well, is this a regular occurrence or a one-off?

(There could be valid reasons for leaving early on one occasion)

on the other hand ...

something mentioned on the radio that he been disciplined internally for something.

Perhaps for leaving the Walkers at half time? :P

He's a good player playing badly in a potentially good team.

agree :thumbup:

I think things must be bad with williams although he is playing poor this season you would have expected an attacking player to start against a poor cov team at home

something mentioned on the radio that he been disciplined internally for something.

Yes it is an internal discipline, he bunked off training for the day because he was "ill" and instead of ringler CL he rang Dion up instead! but Dion forgot to pass on the message!

Yes it is an internal discipline, he bunked off training for the day because he was "ill" and instead of ringler CL he rang Dion up instead! but Dion forgot to pass on the message!

How do you know this?

If it's true then Williams should have rang Levein himself instead of getting Dion to pass the message. Levein is right to discipline him.

How do you know this?

If it's true then Williams should have rang Levein himself instead of getting Dion to pass the message. Levein is right to discipline him.

I know this because i know some people who work at the club

How do you know this?

yeh he is he cant expect other players to do things for him he really is lazy!

If Williams does go, who do we replace him with? Weso is more of a holding player from what I've heard.

we would just have hughes as an attacking c/mid might need a new one for back up

Maybe he isn't puting any effort because he is a Forest fan?

I dont think he is a Forest fan, he only played for them, he's scottish born and bred! even though this wouldn't stop him bein a Forest Fan!! :ermm:

With Hughes injured, we will hopefully see Williams returned to the starting line-up ahead of Gudjonsson.

With regards who we replace him with should Man City make a bid in January (which I really don't think they will), then I wouldn't say no to using that money by David Vaughn from Crewe or get Alan Mahon from Wigan.

Archived