Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

If you're comparing the women's game to the men's then yes standard is obviously lower and the game is "different". Its like comparing snooker and billiards. 

From games I've seen the goal keepers are mostly the weak link and standard in that position isn't great. There are however some technically good out field players. 

What you should do is just watch it for what it is. 

Watch mens, watch womens, watch neither or watch both. Its your choice. 

As I'm English, I'll be supporting England regardless. 

Can't stand cricket but still supporting England in that too. 

The women's game would probably improve if there were more cross overs, with male and female officials, coaches, presenters rather than "jobs for the girls". It would also grow to a wider audience if it wasn't just marketed as a perceived PC exercise at young girls and families with daughters. But to people that enjoy football in general. 

On 25/05/2019 at 16:55, MattP said:

That's fine, but when the BBC loses its right to collect what funds it because those middle aged men won't pay the license fee anymore, just remember this.

One of those middle aged men will have a picture of himself in the Daily Mail looking sad and holding his license fee enforcement notice, a few more will put up change.org petitions full of poor grammar, and life will go on.

I'm quite looking forward to this. There are some good players in the women's game which has improved considerably over recent years. It's perhaps unsurprising considering the top clubs have teams from under 10's upwards. England should do well (although Scotland on Sunday will be tricky). {Just ageneral comment on the teams - will there be good (or better) goalkeeper? The one position where I don't think quality has improved over recent years).

I'd lke to bet that those who are sceptical will be watching if England progress to the knockout stage, along with many other millions, particularly as all these games are at weekends or 8pm kick offs (BST)

Guest Bert Fill

I don’t see why some people have a problem with it. I’ll be watching; my daughter plays and she’s really looking forward to it.

As for the standard - as long as you have two teams that are well-matched you can have a good game. I’ve seen loads of kids games that have been brilliant to watch even though the standard isn’t great. And nobody says people shouldn’t watch their local non-league teams because they’re not as good as Barcelona.

On 23/05/2019 at 10:34, Izzy said:

My point is, 12-18 months ago this wouldn't have been a story and now it is. If it's a reflection that the women's game is growing then fair enough - but is it?

Judging by most of the comments on here most people don't seem bothered, so is all this new publicity/promotion falling on deaf ears? I just wonder 'why women's football?' all of a sudden. 

The cynic in me says the BBC have shelled out a shit load of money for the WC rights and it seems like they're trying to justify it by promoting women's football at every opportunity. I'm not saying it's good or bad/right or wrong and if there is genuine interest then fair enough.

https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/record-breaking-fifa-women-s-world-cup-tops-750-million-tv-viewers-2745963

Just to show the difference between there and here in Canada, all the matches of this Women's WC are televised. Yesterday's match between England and Netherlands wasn't even mentioned anywhere.

Of course if you ask a Canadian to name a football player(probably best to say soccer ;)), they will most likely say Chistine Sinclair.

I'm really hoping Alphonso Davies can change that.

Edited by spacemunky

Could tell Dion Dublin after declaring he'd done lots of research, had done precisely none as he spoke prior to the game lol

First two and a half minutes and every South Korea first touch has gone about 6 foot from the player lol

France don't look a bad side though.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

The keeper lol

They always seem to be the worse in ladies football..

The quality from the top teams is probably pretty good as France will probably show.

Not sure what depth there is in terms of that though but then again we will see how loop sided the men's world cup is in 2024 when 48 teams are in it.

I hope Neville doesn't pass on his experience of major tournaments too much - remember Euro 200 when he cost us v Romania? 

wonder if anything jonathan pearce is saying is true? like there is nobody who can actually disagree with him cos none of us know anything about these players or this game. bet he’s chatting complete and utter shit. 

• Haha 2