Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

Hope England Women do well as its good for them and its good for young girls across the country that inspire to play football. But I can't be arsed with the over the top press coverage clamouring for Women's football to be equal to the men's game and no-one will be allowed say anything otherwise.

It has got better, I've caught the odd 10 minutes here and there on BT sport but its a low standard.

• Like 2

Listening to the sport headlines on 5 Live today and apparently the Man City women’s goalkeeper has signed a two year contract extension.

Whoopy do. Since when is this headline news? 

I think the BBC are ramming women’s football down our neck from all angles in a hope it becomes popular and mainstream.

I just can’t ever see it happening in this country 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Listening to the sport headlines on 5 Live today and apparently the Man City women’s goalkeeper has signed a two year contract extension.

Whoopy do. Since when is this headline news? 

I think the BBC are ramming women’s football down our neck from all angles in a hope it becomes popular and mainstream.

I just can’t ever see it happening in this country 

Is there an issue with them doing that though? The target audience is young kids hoping to build a fanbase for the future.

This thread is crazy, it's not affecting anyone's lives it being promoted more, just ignore it if you're not interested! 

They deserve a platform to be promoted on, and hopefully getting kids into it will mean more young girls get into it, meaning the standard will increase more and more as the years go on and also crowds will go up.

I hope it works :) 

• Like 3

There's some fantastic young girl players in my son's club. One of them was by far the best player in the team before she got plucked away by a better team. Also watched a friends son in an under 11 final at Holmes Park last week and the opposition had a girl in defence and she was brilliant.

If it gives them something to aspire to then surely not a problem.

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

She's an England international. They are 4th in the World. Yeah I'd expect that to be news including to a sports bulletin. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

She's an England international. They are 4th in the World. Yeah I'd expect that to be news including to a sports bulletin. 

This. 

It's hardly like there's an over abundance of women's football stories drowning out genuine news about the men's game. 

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Is there an issue with them doing that though? The target audience is young kids hoping to build a fanbase for the future.

This thread is crazy, it's not affecting anyone's lives it being promoted more, just ignore it if you're not interested! 

They deserve a platform to be promoted on, and hopefully getting kids into it will mean more young girls get into it, meaning the standard will increase more and more as the years go on and also crowds will go up.

I hope it works :) 

56 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This. 

It's hardly like there's an over abundance of women's football stories drowning out genuine news about the men's game. 

My point is, 12-18 months ago this wouldn't have been a story and now it is. If it's a reflection that the women's game is growing then fair enough - but is it?

Judging by most of the comments on here most people don't seem bothered, so is all this new publicity/promotion falling on deaf ears? I just wonder 'why women's football?' all of a sudden. 

The cynic in me says the BBC have shelled out a shit load of money for the WC rights and it seems like they're trying to justify it by promoting women's football at every opportunity. I'm not saying it's good or bad/right or wrong and if there is genuine interest then fair enough.

Every broadcaster pushes the stuff they've paid for. 

How is it any different to them advertising Peaky Blinders everywhere or constantly hyping up Formula E as being way more interesting that it really is? 

It's not exactly surprising they want you to be interested in shit that cost them to get the rights to. 

I admit there are times I've grunted when I load up the BBC sports page and the headline article has been some women's sport stuff and I've been disappointed by that. But, honestly, I'd like to think I'm honest enough to put my hand up and admit that's kinda me being a bit sexist and I can't really justify why it annoys me. I do get where you're coming from Izzy but it's something I need to work and by the sounds of it you do to. 

I'm not suggesting that makes you a bad person or that you're same raging misogynist but, eh, we can all improve a bit I think in terms of being more open minded. 

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Every broadcaster pushes the stuff they've paid for. 

How is it any different to them advertising Peaky Blinders everywhere or constantly hyping up Formula E as being way more interesting that it really is? 

It's not exactly surprising they want you to be interested in shit that cost them to get the rights to. 

I admit there are times I've grunted when I load up the BBC sports page and the headline article has been some women's sport stuff and I've been disappointed by that. But, honestly, I'd like to think I'm honest enough to put my hand up and admit that's kinda me being a bit sexist and I can't really justify why it annoys me. I do get where you're coming from Izzy but it's something I need to work and by the sounds of it you do to. 

I'm not suggesting that makes you a bad person or that you're same raging misogynist but, eh, we can all improve a bit I think in terms of being more open minded. 

Dude I freely admit I'm an old skool dinosaur and need to be more open minded. There probably is some unconscious bias coming out in my posts and I'm not proud if they read that way.

But I think what @RowlattsFox said earlier sums up how I'm feeling when he said "Over the top press coverage clamoring for Women's football to be equal to the men's game and no-one will be allowed say anything otherwise".

I'm just not sure you can 'force' something to be popular and instead should just allow it to grow organically?

25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My point is, 12-18 months ago this wouldn't have been a story and now it is. If it's a reflection that the women's game is growing then fair enough - but is it?

Judging by most of the comments on here most people don't seem bothered, so is all this new publicity/promotion falling on deaf ears? I just wonder 'why women's football?' all of a sudden. 

The cynic in me says the BBC have shelled out a shit load of money for the WC rights and it seems like they're trying to justify it by promoting women's football at every opportunity. I'm not saying it's good or bad/right or wrong and if there is genuine interest then fair enough.

I’d say it is yes. The numbers of girls participating is growing and new teams are forming all over. The fa recently rejigged its academy system and now selected clubs and centres run regional talent centres (rtc) which are part of the England pathway designed to develop girls from grass roots football to the national team. The national leagues have been restructured and big clubs are starting to pump money into their girls teams not to forget the recent deal with Barclays. 

I get that people feel that it’s being forced down their throats as they probably don’t have daughters involved in football and don’t pay much attention to women’s football as a result which is understandable. However people saying they won’t watch it because it’s league 2 standard ask yourself weather you’d watch round 1 FA cup ties on the bbc or go and watch a local non league team, if so why not give it a go, it’s football after all. Plus you can mooch around the ground with a beer in hand choose your spot and enjoy the match for what it is rather than trying to compare it to the premier league.

While I don’t think it will overtake the men’s game, there is a different audience targeted, the standard will definitely improve and the game will grow much bigger over the next 10,15,20 years, for my daughter it is an exciting time for her to be playing football, she wants to be a professional footballer playing for Leicester when she’s older and maybe for the first time there’s a whole generation of girls having the same dream. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I’d say it is yes. The numbers of girls participating is growing and new teams are forming all over. The fa recently rejigged its academy system and now selected clubs and centres run regional talent centres (rtc) which are part of the England pathway designed to develop girls from grass roots football to the national team. The national leagues have been restructured and big clubs are starting to pump money into their girls teams not to forget the recent deal with Barclays. 

I get that people feel that it’s being forced down their throats as they probably don’t have daughters involved in football and don’t pay much attention to women’s football as a result which is understandable. However people saying they won’t watch it because it’s league 2 standard ask yourself weather you’d watch round 1 FA cup ties on the bbc or go and watch a local non league team, if so why not give it a go, it’s football after all. Plus you can mooch around the ground with a beer in hand choose your spot and enjoy the match for what it is rather than trying to compare it to the premier league.

While I don’t think it will overtake the men’s game, there is a different audience targeted, the standard will definitely improve and the game will grow much bigger over the next 10,15,20 years, for my daughter it is an exciting time for her to be playing football, she wants to be a professional footballer playing for Leicester when she’s older and maybe for the first time there’s a whole generation of girls having the same dream. 

Good post - thanks.

I feel a little more educated now :thumbup:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, everton carr said:

Think more Oadby Town standard then league 2 

Yes maybe, I was referencing comments I’d seen from other people, however my point stands that despite the level if you take  it for what it is you still see some good football, as you do at all levels. 

1 minute ago, everton carr said:

Think more Oadby Town standard then league 2 

Mmmm, I guess the only way I’ll be able to gauge what standard I think women’s football is at is by watching a full match.

And all I can think of is 90 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

But I guess I might be surprised...

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

We get sports like Rugby League, Athletics, Darts and Gymnastics mentioned on 5live all the time. All minority sports with similar crowds. 

Its growing in participation, so we get more coverage 

15 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Not for me as a spectator sport but if it gets more girls into football who go on to get great enjoyment out of the game then I’m all for it

Agreed, the target audience isn't really middle aged blokes to be honest, it's girls and women who can be attracted to the sport. My housemate isn't bothered about mens Football and yet loves watching women play. Given the differences in ability, it's basically a different sport, however please just show them some respect. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We get sports like Rugby League, Athletics, Darts and Gymnastics mentioned on 5live all the time. All minority sports with similar crowds. 

Its growing in participation, so we get more coverage 

Rugby league and darts get very decent crowds.Over 10k attend the darts premier league every week to watch an exhibition event

13 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Rugby league and darts get very decent crowds.Over 10k attend the darts premier league every week to watch an exhibition event

Yeah comparable to Women’s Football. Darts and Rugby League don’t get 60k for their showcase event. Therefore they get mentioned by 5Live, so should Women’s Footy

Edited by Cardiff_Fox