Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

I’ll say one thing ...   the incidence of diving, cheating, time wasting and general shiteness that is so prevalent in the men’s game is far far less here ...    hats off you gals ...    :appl:

Apart from Camer fvckin roon !!!

Nice bunch of pundits as usual for the half time chat ...    I’d definitely go for the short haired anchor woman on the left ...   shame she sounds like one of the Krankies ...   

Edited by Countryfox
LEFT !!!!!

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

You’re still in with a good shout ...   Krauts equalise ..   very late ...   ...   goes to pens ...   guess who wins ...   :thumbup:

Unless you specifically bet on a team to qualify from the tie, betting on a team to win generally means in 90 mins.

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I didn't know that. I bet Germany to win.

Yeah, that'll be in the 90. Theres an option to bet on a team to qualify, odd are shorter obviously, but that's what you need if you just think they'll get through, but not sure how. You can also bet on the method of going through, after ET, or penalties.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Perhaps I'm getting this one wrong, but she's making it about that because the US has a lot of folks with power who would see people of that sexuality marginalised - whether on the football pitch or anywhere else.

In her mind, she's just firing back at them.

But is this the right place for it?

Are we happy with politicians using sporting events for their own personal agendas. And of course what would you think if some player said that their team doesn't even have a gay player in it when they won?

Perhaps she could wait until after the championships and then go around the chat shows discussing it.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Apart from the three brunettes, the one with short hair and the dude in the cap.:P

Very true Flannel ..   but overall...   as a group shot ...

not far off ...

But !! ......

and I’ve got to say this ... 

its the wine talking remember ...

not a decant pair of ....    

between them !! 

:nigel:

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Are we happy with politicians using sporting events for their own personal agendas. And of course what would you think if some player said that their team doesn't even have a gay player in it when they won?

Perhaps she could wait until after the championships and then go around the chat shows discussing it.

Protests don't work if you only do them when it's convenient for everyone else.

In the same way, the fact that this perhaps "isn't the right place for it" makes it even more poignant and gets people talking about it more. If she waits until after the tournament is over it'll be far easier for everyone to brush it off without any sort of action or response.

And the tournament finishes in July. Pride month is June, so the context of her comments is more relevant right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FIF said:

As Xen above says, it is the right month to make this kind of point and she has the platform due to the US team making the semifinals.

I don't think that she's saying that you have to have gay players in your team to stand a better chance of winning, but that not picking someone for your team simply because they are gay might well reduce your chances of winning. And, given the current climate in the US, you know as well as I that there are those with power who would happily see that happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FIF said:

Perhaps you think Carlos and Smith shouldn't have made their gestures at the medal ceremony at the 1968 olympics?

There's a time and a place and this feels like exactly the correct time. Just as Smith and Carlos sent a direct message to the American people and government of the 1960s so Rapinoe is sending a message. This is her time, her moment  when the world's media is watching, her best chance of getting her message across.

There is surely a big difference between those who choose to govern and who are paid for it and the individual or groups of individuals who do not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xen said:

Protests don't work if you only do them when it's convenient for everyone else.

In the same way, the fact that this perhaps "isn't the right place for it" makes it even more poignant and gets people talking about it more. If she waits until after the tournament is over it'll be far easier for everyone to brush it off without any sort of action or response.

And the tournament finishes in July. Pride month is June, so the context of her comments is more relevant right now.

Not sure about your first sentence, it would seem an intelligent way to go about things, it's not as if you are going to change the minds of the "anti-brigade" at any time, I guess you feel that this timing is more likely to attract more sympathy than the annoyance it will give to some who just watch football for football. You could be right, I don't really know. Doing it after the tournament on the chat shows she will be invited to seems a much better way for me.

The June is pride month is really a ridiculous argument.  This type of thing is all day every day not just in June.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

As Xen above says, it is the right month to make this kind of point and she has the platform due to the US team making the semifinals.

I don't think that she's saying that you have to have gay players in your team to stand a better chance of winning, but that not picking someone for your team simply because they are gay might well reduce your chances of winning. And, given the current climate in the US, you know as well as I that there are those with power who would happily see that happen.

As I replied above, she isn't limited to june and to say that June is pride month is just a stupid idea.

My point wasn't that she was saying you have to have gay players in the team, my question was how you'd feel if the World Cup was overrun with players making a point that "Gay is abnormal" and Gay people shouldn't play. I'm saying let the football tournament be about women's football and don't confuse the issue. Let the whole year be about Gay rights.

As for the final statement there will always be people like that, her crusade won't change that, what it is doing is distracting people from how good the actual football is. It's also daft to think these people can actually do anything about it, as long as we keep sport about sport, I'm pretty sure we haven't had a Men's world cup without lots of Gay players - the governments haven't stopped them playing. The problem here is that the Gay sports stars haven't come out and made it clear that they are gay - not linking it to their sport - at any time during the year. If the 2 or 3 gay players in every team made it known in their lives this problem wouldn't exist. 

29 minutes ago, reynard said:

Perhaps you think Carlos and Smith shouldn't have made their gestures at the medal ceremony at the 1968 olympics?

There's a time and a place and this feels like exactly the correct time. Just as Smith and Carlos sent a direct message to the American people and government of the 1960s so Rapinoe is sending a message. This is her time, her moment  when the world's media is watching, her best chance of getting her message across.

There is surely a big difference between those who choose to govern and who are paid for it and the individual or groups of individuals who do not.

Interesting. What did you think about the palestinians at Munich 1972? Their moment, when the media was watching? Best chance to get their message across?

I'm sympathetic to your view and to those persecuted gay people on the planet. I simply believe that the "cause" we should be concentrating on at the Women's world cup is Women's football and factions shouldn't be distracting from that. Should the England team use their semi-final to make a statement about Brexit? Should the Swede's make a statement about the levals of immigration in Sweden?

48 minutes ago, FIF said:

Not sure about your first sentence, it would seem an intelligent way to go about things, it's not as if you are going to change the minds of the "anti-brigade" at any time, I guess you feel that this timing is more likely to attract more sympathy than the annoyance it will give to some who just watch football for football. You could be right, I don't really know. Doing it after the tournament on the chat shows she will be invited to seems a much better way for me.

The June is pride month is really a ridiculous argument.  This type of thing is all day every day not just in June.

If teachers went on strike during the summer holidays no-one would give a damn and nothing would change. If they strike during the school year and it affects people who are then more likely to advocate for change as they've been forced to pay attention. It's a really simple concept that's tried and tested, so I don't know why you're 'not sure' about that...

Believe me - speaking from experience - that when gay rights aren't 'flavour of the month' they largely get brushed aside, or a nominal mention at best. Rapinoe is only front-page-relevant (to the current extent) during the few weeks every couple of years that women's football is in the spotlight, and maybe a few weeks after if they win. This isn't just the right time for her to speak up and be heard, it might be the only time she can have this impact.

Of course the campaign for equal rights is year-round. I made the point about pride month because that is the reason that topic came up in the interview.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FIF said:

I simply believe that the "cause" we should be concentrating on at the Women's world cup is Women's football and factions shouldn't be distracting from that.

Firstly, it's possible to have multiple causes being championed at the same time. Just because people are trying to make one thing more accepted doesn't mean they have to abandon all pretense of the other. Things can be challenged in tandem. In fact, causes like this 'teaming up' can be hugely beneficial - for just one of many examples look up the film 'Pride' or just read about the 'lesbians and gays support the miners' campaign.

Secondly, women's football and LGBT rights are pretty intrinsically linked anyway. There's a disproportionately high number of LGBT women's footballers, so it makes perfect sense for both to share the spotlight.

• Like 1