Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

20 minutes ago, Xen said:

If teachers went on strike during the summer holidays no-one would give a damn and nothing would change. If they strike during the school year and it affects people who are then more likely to advocate for change as they've been forced to pay attention. It's a really simple concept that's tried and tested, so I don't know why you're 'not sure' about that...

Believe me - speaking from experience - that when gay rights aren't 'flavour of the month' they largely get brushed aside, or a nominal mention at best. Rapinoe is only front-page-relevant (to the current extent) during the few weeks every couple of years that women's football is in the spotlight, and maybe a few weeks after if they win. This isn't just the right time for her to speak up and be heard, it might be the only time she can have this impact.

Of course the campaign for equal rights is year-round. I made the point about pride month because that is the reason that topic came up in the interview.

Teachers are always going on strike in school time (at least over here) it changes nothing at all. Are you saying that YOU would take less notice of teacher's striking in the summer? I bet you wouldn't, so are you saying you are different to the rest of the population? The miners went on strike - how did that turn out? Anyway we aren't talking about strikes so I have no idea why you've brought that up.

All I can think is that things are very different over the channel. Gay rights have been centre stage over here every month for quite a while now. Someone creating June is gay pride month really hasn't changed anything. Equality for the LGBTQ movement is obviously a normal thing and over here at least it is always in the news. Britain is either very backward or you are over exaggerating the "only time" thing.

12 minutes ago, Xen said:

Firstly, it's possible to have multiple causes being championed at the same time. Just because people are trying to make one thing more accepted doesn't mean they have to abandon all pretense of the other. Things can be challenged in tandem. In fact, causes like this 'teaming up' can be hugely beneficial - for just one of many examples look up the film 'Pride' or just read about the 'lesbians and gays support the miners' campaign.

Secondly, women's football and LGBT rights are pretty intrinsically linked anyway. There's a disproportionately high number of LGBT women's footballers, so it makes perfect sense for both to share the spotlight.

The World Cup final is ONLY played every 4 years. Gay rights are championed every day of the year. Rapinoe is hijacking the sport for her own use. 

I also question the validity of your statement that "There's a disproportionately high number of LGBT women's footballers," I find that hard to believe. Maybe you have been confused because more of the ladies have stated their lesbianism. Whereas in other sports they haven't. I think you'll find that there are many sports that have just as high a percentage of gay players as women's football. 

4 hours ago, FIF said:

Interesting. What did you think about the palestinians at Munich 1972? Their moment, when the media was watching? Best chance to get their message across?

I'm sympathetic to your view and to those persecuted gay people on the planet. I simply believe that the "cause" we should be concentrating on at the Women's world cup is Women's football and factions shouldn't be distracting from that. Should the England team use their semi-final to make a statement about Brexit? Should the Swede's make a statement about the levals of immigration in Sweden?

Ok. Let's deal with this point by point. First, I'm sure you can't be serious in trying to compare black athletes on the medal podium and terrorists killing people. The second part of that question is of course not requiring an answer really. Terrorists strike at times and in places where they feel they will get the most exposure but we're really aren't talking about the same thing here.

The second points regard teams and therefore collective resposnes. If for eg the England team wanted to make a statement by wearing pro EU tee shirts  or pro Brexit tee shirts for eg training on the pitch then, if that is their considered and collective decision, then yes I have no problem with them doing that. Though of course FIFA has a ban on all political statements so it wouldn't happen in any case.

Within the context of the team should an individual member want to express a personal opinion about, let's say gay rights, on their personal twitter feed then I don't have a problem with that either.

People will always use high profile events to get over their message. Yelena Isinbayeva used the 2013 World Athletic championships to come out in support of Russia's anti gay laws, though she later tried to retract her comments.

Personally I don't think the competition has been sidetracked and the football has done the talking on the pitch and generally been very entertaining.

• Like 1

England Women manager Phil Neville hailed U.S. star Megan Rapinoe as "world class" and said he knew of her competitiveness to his own cost after she inadvertently destroyed his watch during a game last year.

Rapinoe has been one of the stars of the Women's World Cup, scoring all four goals in the U.S.'s two knockout matches to help them into the semifinals. She and her teammates now face England in Lyon on Tuesday, and Neville said he knew how hard it would be to curb her influence.

"I remember in my first SheBelieves [Cup match against the U.S. last year] when there was a ball bouncing on the touchline and I went to catch it and her studs came right through my Apple watch," he said. "She's not paid me back for that.

"What I liked about that was that she didn't say sorry, she just got on with it. She's a winner. I like the individuality in her, both on and off the field, and I think she's a world class footballer."

Neville praised the work Rapinoe has done to promote equality off the field, but focused on Tuesday's game as he challenged his players to keep the threat of her and Crystal Dunn down the left at bay.

The manager has hinted that England right-back Lucy Bronze could be played as a makeshift midfielder -- a ploy he used against the U.S. in the SheBelieves Cup.

"It might be Rachel Daly up against Rapinoe," Neville said. "You never know, as Daly did really well in SheBelieves against her, and the ability of Lucy Bronze to step into midfield is why we did that. We have a decision to make there, as Rachel's in fantastic form.

"If you think about the left-hand side of the USA and the right-hand side of England, I don't think you'll get many better left and right sides in women's football. The U.S. are the reigning champions and the ones everyone wants to beat."

Neville backed Bronze to win this year's Ballon d'Or, saying: "I do believe she's the best player in the world because she's unique in everything she does. Her athleticism, ability to defend one vs. one -- she's fearless in everything she does. She always rises to the big occasion.

"We've seen a player that's developed a lot in the last 18 months and, even though she plays full-back and sometimes in midfield, the qualities she possesses make her one of the most outstanding players in the world. Even though she plays at full-back, that needs recognising. When we do ballots and polls, sometimes defenders are special as well and we have a few."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/3889685/us-star-rapinoe-wrecked-my-watch-neville

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Must admit ...   quite looking forward to it tonight ....   

Going to wear a lovely  off the shoulder number and crack open a nice bottle of fizz before it stats  ...   :)

So how is that different to any other Tuesday night for you?

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

wow.... Rapinoe dropped!

D-fPsUXXYAIyb84.jpg

Good news for England.

You don’t win without gays in your team apparently!