Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Happy Birthday City of Leicester

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Was us gaining City status the whole reason that we changed the club name? 

Think it was also convenient as Fosse were, if my memory of reading Fossils & Foxes serves, about to be wound up at the time.

• Thanks 1

Why Leicester City's fixture with Wolves will be particularly special
It is a big anniversary for City this year

ByJordan Blackwell
14:44, 13 JUN 2019UPDATED15:10, 13 JUN 2019

The opening fixture of any season is special but this campaign’s clash with Wolves is particularly significant.

In a remarkable coincidence, the season’s curtain-raiser is a repeat of the opening game from 100 years ago.

City began the 1919-20 Division Two campaign by welcoming Wolves to Filbert Street, the visitors leaving with a 2-1 win. George Douglas scored City’s goal.

But the significance does not end there.

That fixture a century ago was also the club’s first as in its current form.

0_George-Douglas.jpg
George Douglas, scorer of Leicester City's first-ever goal, meets King George V during an FA Cup tie at Stamford Bridge
Over that summer, after the conclusion of the First World War, Leicester Fosse became Leicester City.

Fosse owed the United Counties Bank £3,150 3s 3d and a winding-up order and take-over was mooted. The resolution was carried unanimously at a extraordinary general meeting and by mid-summer the club had new owners.

That summer also included a visit by King George V as a thank-you for the war effort, with Leicester's city status restored four days later.

That prompted a change in the name of the club and Fosse were reborn as Leicester City.

The club are expected to mark the anniversary this August.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-fixture-wolves-particularly-2974837

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

How's it being officially commemorated? Not seen a lot of publicity surrounding it.

They marked the last game on Twitter a month or two back:

Today might have been the day the City of Leicester was born but if I recall correctly Of Fossils and Foxes had the club’s name change down as a later date. 

44 minutes ago, davieG said:

Why Leicester City's fixture with Wolves will be particularly special
It is a big anniversary for City this year

ByJordan Blackwell
14:44, 13 JUN 2019UPDATED15:10, 13 JUN 2019

The opening fixture of any season is special but this campaign’s clash with Wolves is particularly significant.

In a remarkable coincidence, the season’s curtain-raiser is a repeat of the opening game from 100 years ago.

City began the 1919-20 Division Two campaign by welcoming Wolves to Filbert Street, the visitors leaving with a 2-1 win. George Douglas scored City’s goal.

But the significance does not end there.

That fixture a century ago was also the club’s first as in its current form.

0_George-Douglas.jpg
George Douglas, scorer of Leicester City's first-ever goal, meets King George V during an FA Cup tie at Stamford Bridge
Over that summer, after the conclusion of the First World War, Leicester Fosse became Leicester City.

Fosse owed the United Counties Bank £3,150 3s 3d and a winding-up order and take-over was mooted. The resolution was carried unanimously at a extraordinary general meeting and by mid-summer the club had new owners.

That summer also included a visit by King George V as a thank-you for the war effort, with Leicester's city status restored four days later.

That prompted a change in the name of the club and Fosse were reborn as Leicester City.

The club are expected to mark the anniversary this August.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-fixture-wolves-particularly-2974837

Now that is spooky!

To be fair, Leicester regained its City status 100 years ago as I’m sure it was a city long ago ( or certainly had a bishop which I think you needed to be a city back then). Anyway around 2050 we should be celebrating 2000 years and still going strong!

It's so unfairly derided as a place, I absolutely love it. My heart swells with pride each and every time I walk out of the train station along Granby street, New Walk or High street. It's got it's issues but where doesn't? We're on the right track now (mostly) and the future is bright

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...