Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tommy G

Ques....Charging point at home - EV

I'm toying with the idea of getting the new 330e, just wondering if anyone on here has a plug in hybrid or fully EV that has a home charging point, and have you got one of the recommended faster chargers rather than the 3 pin plug ''granny charger''?

Never owned anything other than petrol or diesel so its a bit new world to me. 

Thanks 

16 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I'm toying with the idea of getting the new 330e, just wondering if anyone on here has a plug in hybrid or fully EV that has a home charging point, and have you got one of the recommended faster chargers rather than the 3 pin plug ''granny charger''?

Never owned anything other than petrol or diesel so its a bit new world to me. 

Thanks 

I know just a bit less about this than I do when the club may or may not be releasing some shorts with different colours stripes down the side.

Sorry Tommy.

I was toying with the idea of getting an EV, but I'm waiting for the prices to drop. The faster chargers can draw quite a heavy current (possibly >30A for a single phase supply) so it really needs a dedicated supply. There used to be a grant of up to £500 available to have a charging point installed, though I gave no idea whether you can still get these. 

Yeh I agree on the Tesla Ric but there will still be that range anxiety for long journeys and the faff of the service station to recharge. Also if you give it both barrels you wont get anything like the quoted range, on the new Tesla 3's they are quick so the temptation will be to rag it everywhere 

I once e-mailed elon musk saying that the reason he'll struggle to convince people about ev's is because of the hassle with charging them and suggested using replaceable batteries so you drive your car into a station and the batteries get unloaded and charged batteries got reloaded automatically, didn't get the 100 grand that i also requested, or even a reply for that matter, so i assumed he'd already poo pooed that idea. 

The only thing I know about the 330e is that lots of my other half's colleagues got them as company cars last year, and they have all complained that they do nothing like the range they are supposed to, and cost a small fortune to charge at home. If the latest one is better, obviously it might be ok. 

4 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I once e-mailed elon musk saying that the reason he'll struggle to convince people about ev's is because of the hassle with charging them and suggested using replaceable batteries so you drive your car into a station and the batteries get unloaded and charged batteries got reloaded automatically, didn't get the 100 grand that i also requested, or even a reply for that matter, so i assumed he'd already poo pooed that idea. 

If nothing else it might provide some amusement on the forecourt watching the staff lugging around all the batteries. Hard to imagine that they weigh over 0.5 metric tonne.

Edited by Uranyl Yellow
missing decimal point

• 3 weeks later...

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Tesla. They look awesome. 

Won't be for a year or so and have just started reading up, but the dedicated home chargers can cost a fair bit to install. You definitely want the more powerful DC current rapid chargers, or you'd need to have it on charge every day all day. They are usually between 7kw - 22kw so just buy the biggest one you can afford or suits your needs IMO. 

Personally a Tesla Model 3 or S with 250-300 miles range would only need charging once a week at the most for me. So around 4-8 hours with a decent charger. 

Unfortunately I have to park on the road outside my house so am looking into how best to charge it. Gonna have to get in touch with the council to see if I can get something installed or how best to run the cable across the pavement using a rubber cable protector that people won't trip over. Bit of a pain but I have no other choice as I have no driveway or garage. 

Edited by The Bear