Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Atari VCS - bound to fail?

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I didn't see a price mentioned.

£250 at launch, plus £50 for a controller.

That's what, £150 more than an Xbox One S? 

As much as I like the look of it, I'm pretty sure this thing is going to fail.

Surely you can get all of this (probably better looking cases and interface wise) on a Retro pie for about £40? Unless they really clamp down on the retro roms available freely online I don't see how they can sell this even with the love of retro gaming. 

Why is it so big?

Edited by Foxin_Mad

The Atari OS is Linux-based and will let you add your own software and apps to customize your own platform.

Quote from their website. I'd imagine the success or failure will be based around the community support for the device. £300 isn't exactly a massive amount and if this device gets enough support it could be a decent (and great looking) box to have under the tele. And the new joystick looks ace. 

It looks like it'll try to carve out a niche as an indie games machine, classic Atari titles isn't enough of a USP by itself to justify £250, but the Switch is already kind of doing that and with the added bonus of modern Nintendo titles too.  I'm dubious for now though tbf I still know very little about the project so I'm going to wait and see.

I was 10 when my mum and dad paid an absolute fortune for the original 2600 for me in 1982. An accurate Defender would be nice on this. 

I know it wasn't an Atari game, but I just wanna play Tiger Heli!!! 

I'll be watching the release of this to see what it's properly about  

Thanks for the heads-up as I hadn't heard of the new Atari.