Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

"Wenger's Offside Rule"

@Manwell Pablo

There would be no benefit of doubt to either party under Wenger's suggestion, there would still be a definitive point where a player is objectively on or off side. This would still need to be measured the same way it is currently with digital lines on the pitch and an absolute decision by a pixel where necessary. 

It would allow the attacker to be further ahead than he is currently and I think Wenger is right in that, purely statistically, it would increase the number of goals given (until strikers started trying to milk it and get as ahead as possible) but there's absolutely no subjective "benefit of doubt" in this suggestion. 

It's just redrawing the line somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@Manwell Pablo

There would be no benefit of doubt to either party under Wenger's suggestion, there would still be a definitive point where a player is objectively on or off side. This would still need to be measured the same way it is currently with digital lines on the pitch and an absolute decision by a pixel where necessary. 

It would allow the attacker to be further ahead than he is currently and I think Wenger is right in that, purely statistically, it would increase the number of goals given (until strikers started trying to milk it and get as ahead as possible) but there's absolutely no subjective "benefit of doubt" in this suggestion. 

It's just redrawing the line somewhere else. 

It's not literally benefit of the doubt.

It is more in line with the Ethos that the attacking team should be getting the benefit of the doubt and that results in more goals. I appreciate in this case it is still a decision made by fine lines. I'd just prefer it there to where it currently is.

This is not my ideal change do not get me wrong I'd prefer something that either dumb's down the whole process or builds in a computer calculated pixel tolerance but I doubt they have that tech given they can't even get the lines to be automated. 

The offside rule was not written to work in conjunction with video reviews and be interpreted so literally like this, like I said before it was bought in to stop goal hanging not anally go into whether the end of someones armpit is 2cm ahead of play,  I don't like it and never will. 

On 19/02/2020 at 10:40, fleckneymike said:

I'd make the offside rule that any part of a player that is in front of the second last defender cannot be used to touch the ball and gain an advantage. Simple.

I will be more controversial and prefer....

Any part of the attacker behind the last defender,cannot be deemed offside. Just because VAR, or linesman sees a bit of the attacking sides shirt colour,or Body

to me ,that Shouldnt be deemed offside...I would prefer the m.meters,to Fall the otherside...

Plus players,play to the whistle,and Not the linesmans-flag...Meaning a Ref can still ,be the deciding factor,the linesman the helper,und the the ref keeps the

ball and event in play,unless he agrees/accepts linesman call...    Specsavers..needs The advertising..lol

There's so many different opinions, it doesn't matter what they do. Some people will complain and some people will accept it.

I'd do away with lines. If they're required then it's not a clear error either way. The person looking at the still should need no longer than 10 seconds to make the decision.

• Like 1

VAR isnt the problem its the dickheads using it. you need one replay, if you cant overturn or give offside on that, than the original flagged decision stands. clear and obvious. its pretty simple really

Edited by Beliall
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beliall said:

VAR isnt the problem its the dickheads using it. you need one replay, if you cant overturn or give offside on that, than the original flagged decision stands. clear and obvious. its pretty simple really

I've always said this. A bad referee is still gonna be a bad referee behind a screen.

3 hours ago, Beliall said:

Totally agree with this viewpoint. Convinced they're using it poorly so the public demand it's scrapped.