Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JohnnieFoxWalker

Jim Melrose - The Times today

Guest StevieLynex
3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The Spurs fan I sat next to on the flight back was less enthusiastic....

You must have been travelling standard class then - bottled paying for the first class

35 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

To be fair to them, a big group of Liverpool fans did applaud me & my shirt at Belfast airport after we won the league. They were all waiting on a flight for a European match and I was coming to see Wes lift the trophy. The whole of the departure area was a sea of red shirts and me :D  Most of them went out of there way to offer congratulations and have a chat.

When we won the league, the first messages I got were from old mates who are Liverpool fans. When the helicopter crashed, the first messages of sympathy I got were from the same Liverpool mates.

Maybe it’s a generational thing and maybe current Liverpool fans are all pricks - I dunno. Or maybe it’s a Klopp hate thing.
I can only go by my experience of dealing with Liverpool fans over the years who have mainly been sound.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Izzy said:

Leicester fans were no angels in the 80’s either tbf

They were worse in the late Sixties/early Seventies.

Back then, the exit doors would open before the game ended and the Kop would empty before full time, only to reappear in the Filbert St away end a couple of minutes later.

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

Maybe. Would we do the same I wonder?

We gave Leatherhead a prolonged standing ovation after they nearly beat us. Does that count?

Edited by Buce

January last year, I remember it well. My lad was desperate to go to Anfield. Tickets were slightly easier to come by as it was a mid week game.

they scored before we had touched the ball, or so it seemed. Cold night, I feared the worst.

we grew into the game and equalised on the stroke of half time. Perfect!

We had the better of the second half and should have won. I have a good feeling about tomorrow.

Boxing Day 1984. Car broke down on the M6 we got to Anfield 30 minutes into the game, away end was locked me and my mate had to queue to get in the kop.

Those in front of us soon realised we were Leicester but were very friendly and we had some banter.

we were advised to keep quiet once inside which we obviously did. Andrews had a blinder second half and we won 2 1. The kop was a memorable experience but I would have gladly swapped it for the away end.

9 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

To be fair to them, a big group of Liverpool fans did applaud me & my shirt at Belfast airport after we won the league. They were all waiting on a flight for a European match and I was coming to see Wes lift the trophy. The whole of the departure area was a sea of red shirts and me :D  Most of them went out of there way to offer congratulations and have a chat.

Sitting next to a Spurs fan on a flight 🤬🤬🤬....

I'd rather jump out without a parashute!

12 hours ago, SexyGammonFox said:

I suppose it's easier to be magnanimous when you have gone three and a half years and 85 games without losing.

I went to Anfield for the first game of the new season after the '66 World Cup win. As Gordon Banks ran towards the Kop to take up his position at the beginning of the game he received an enormous ovation from the Kop. (That was as good as it got -Liverpool won 3-2 although Dougan got a couple for us).

You've got to be the wrong side of fifty to remember those days. Well, I am the wrong side of 50 and I do remember those days. The media coverage of Liverpool fans in the 70s and 80s was as fawning and flattering as it is today, albeit there was a lot less media about back then. 

The Anfield crowd were routinely described as ''knowledgeable'' as if all club's supporters didn't know anything at all. The clubs which had a bad reputation back then for hooliganism were Leeds, Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall and Man United but as the 70s wore on, every club had its wannabe hooligans like our Baby Squad. Man U fans were never that bad but they picked up a reputation for bad behaviour following their one season in the 2nd Division in 73/74 when they were playing in lots of stadiums that were too small to cope with the huge number of away fans that descended upon them.

But Liverpool away supporters were more than capable of bad behaviour too. But it was more like anti-social behaviour than outright hooliganism. I suspect that if you were a shopkeeper in the 70s and 80s and Liverpool were coming to town you'd be more likely to board up your windows than if it was Man U, or even Leeds, Chelsea and West Ham. Millwall were always a bit of a special case though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Sitting next to a Spurs fan on a flight 🤬🤬🤬....

I'd rather jump out without a parashute!

It was an absolute pleasure, I was delighted to share my photos of us lifting the Premier League trophy and how magical it felt to win the Premier League :D  

He was reasonably magnanimous but gutted. Fortunately for him it was only a 45 minute flight 🤣