Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JamesO

advice for kitchen ceiling and tiles

16 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

If they're ceramic tiles whatever you use won't be detrimental to them, if they're porcelain, which is porous and basically soaks up moisture and oils, they're going to stain if they've not been sealed with stone sealer, and once they're stained you'll always see it. Try using meths a few times, then seal them.

Didn't realise getting high could help with DIY.  No wonder @Webbo, @Strokes are always at at and doing DIY?

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It looks like it’s a bubble (or falling out/not bonding) rather than shrinkage.

I thought the same, it's as if the tape has pushed out, but surely the plaster on top would have cracked?

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It needs somebody more knowledgeable than me. 

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Yeah I’m a bit stumped too

Must admit I'm very disappointed tbh.

In both of you :rolleyes:

That looks terrible on a new Ceiling and I feel for your parents. I'm pretty sure it can remedied provided you can identify the cause.

Was the old Ceiling removed before putting up the New Slabs.?    No Scrim tape is another cause. Not enough fixing nails holding the new Slabs up. ( should be every 6 inches approx.)

A lack of noggins in the ceiling. CH Pipes possibly running too close to that joint.

An  easy to do repair is rake out the joint and fill with a Flexible filler like Polycell. However if any of the above are the cause then it might just come back again.

You could cut a hole in the Ceiling to possibly.  identify the problem. Then repair and replaster a good plasterer should be able to make the repair more than acceptable. 

If you wanted to skim the whole Ceiling after repair it would need a coat of Thistle Bond before re plastering and it would look perfect as it should do.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. 

yeah clever fox the whole ceiling was removed so he could sort out the wiring for new lights and speakers. 

i will send this info over to him as he said he was going to try fix it at the weekend. I haven’t seen it in person yet but apparently it looks worse in person 👎

thanks again everyone 

• Like 1