Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcpod1

Iain Hume

8 hours ago, Incognito said:

At the Supporters Club POTY awards in 2011, I spoke with a former club captain, who may or may not have been a former Southampton and Derby player, about Holloway.

When I asked him for his perspective about things under Holloway, he told me that Holloway didn't have a clue! Stopped short of calling him a clown but did not talk fondly about him at all.

Holloway signed him in the Jan window. You'd have thought they had a decent relationship.

On 01/04/2021 at 07:20, manders86 said:

Also whilst trying to find out if that's true, just look at this team I stumbled across from that era. Absolutely gross, its almost unbelievable to think of how far we've come!

LEICESTER CITY: Henderson 7 - Stearman 6, Gerrbrand 6, Kisnorbo 6, Johansson 5 - Maybury 6, Hughes 7 (A Welsh, 71mins), Williams 7, *GUDJONSSON 8 - Hume 7, Fryatt 7 (Brevett 88mins).

That was one of our better line ups from that era as well.

10 hours ago, Incognito said:

At the Supporters Club POTY awards in 2011, I spoke with a former club captain, who may or may not have been a former Southampton and Derby player, about Holloway.

When I asked him for his perspective about things under Holloway, he told me that Holloway didn't have a clue! Stopped short of calling him a clown but did not talk fondly about him at all.

...probably just one perspective from one player, but pretty much what I thought of him!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Holloway signed him in the Jan window. You'd have thought they had a decent relationship.

Yes I agree, I had the same thought to be honest.

Then again, how often do players sign for a manager and then find things are not as they thought?

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...probably just one perspective from one player, but pretty much what I thought of him!!!

Yeah I didn't ask the question to anyone else that was still there. Would have been interesting.

Mind, Radostin Kishishev didn't talk warmly about him either at the 2008 Supporter's Club POTY bash. I put it down to not getting a game but more and more things just seem to add up to Holloway being inept, albeit I wouldn't put the blame for our relegation solely at his door.

Ah i remember being excited that he played for us and 🇨🇦.  He is now some sort of coach for a western ontario football league about an hours drive away.   Maybe make the hour drive down the 401 in my city top and do my own interview for foxestalk lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Incognito said:

Yeah I didn't ask the question to anyone else that was still there. Would have been interesting.

Mind, Radostin Kishishev didn't talk warmly about him either at the 2008 Supporter's Club POTY bash. I put it down to not getting a game but more and more things just seem to add up to Holloway being inept, albeit I wouldn't put the blame for our relegation solely at his door.

....Holloway always gave the impression that his upbeat positivity and reputation, was going to be what would keep us in the league!!!

You just got the feeling he was blagging his way through his tenure with us and it felt he did not have a big enough concern in setting us up properly for games. The only occasion that he appeared to take a real look at our setup was the game at Stoke, there was a photograph of him coming off the pitch and he appeared to be distraught at having taken us down. He really was a poor manager.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Holloway always gave the impression that his upbeat positivity and reputation, was going to be what would keep us in the league!!!

You just got the feeling he was blagging his way through his tenure with us and it felt he did not have a big enough concern in setting us up properly for games. The only occasion that he appeared to take a real look at our setup was the game at Stoke, there was a photograph of him coming off the pitch and he appeared to be distraught at having taken us down. He really was a poor manager.

It's telling isn't it that he's had no real success as a manager. His first stint at QPR and his stint at Plymouth were ok, and then there was the fluke at Blackpool whereby all the stars in the galaxy aligned for them. Other than that he's done naff all except get the sack!

I bought into his positivity when he was appointed, but I think most fans and players got sick of the endless soundbites and saw through him. As you say, he did not look enough at setting the team up properly.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2021 at 19:40, sacreblueits442 said:

We suffered from him starting to believe his own hype. He was this much-loved jovial figure in the wider game and we were the first decent sized club he’d got the manager’s job at. 

He seemed to be more focused on living up to this larger than life character than actually getting results at times. I remember there was one weekend where he popped up doing punditry for an FA Cup game and laughing and joking around in the BBC studio whilst we were in grave danger of being relegated.

He showed scant regard for our pride as a supporters base in never having been relegated to the third tier of English football. It was almost like he only smelled the danger once it was too late.

We moved our season ticket seats in the summer before the League One campaign and I remember when Jim was showing us our options he told us that the club had been taken aback at the volume of mail sent in for the attention of Holloway after we’d dropped.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

We suffered from him starting to believe his own hype. He was this much-loved jovial figure in the wider game and we were the first decent sized club he’d got the manager’s job at. 

He seemed to be more focused on living up to this larger than life character than actually getting results at times. I remember there was one weekend where he popped up doing punditry for an FA Cup game and laughing and joking around in the BBC studio whilst we were in grave danger of being relegated.

He showed scant regard for our pride as a supporters base in never having been relegated to the third tier of English football. It was almost like he only smelled the danger once it was too late.

We moved our season ticket seats in the summer before the League One campaign and I remember when Jim was showing us our options he told us that the club had been taken aback at the volume of mail sent in for the attention of Holloway after we’d dropped.

...just wondering what the tone of those letters were!!!

4 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Agreed, we aren't (and certainly weren't then) a massive club but he'd been used to teams who had, at most, an average of 15k for home matches in QPR and Plymouth. We'd also won trophies, played in the Premier League and Europe in the preceding decade so that was still fresh in the mind. Jumping to us immediately saw him manage in front of attendances of 24k and at times 30k. We often took a big away following with us. It's not a surprise that he's had his best times in quieter times and situations (although Palace get decent crowds).

I don't think it helped that he had Mandaric in the press all the time but it wasn't an impossible job to keep us up. Failing to win two matches in a row meant we never got on a run to pull clear of trouble.

I know Pearson (the natural comparison) wasn't universally popular but he had the right idea to mainly let results do the talking. Holloway had his style, his BBC column, his image to play up to and when you are struggling on the pitch, supporters get restless.