Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcpod1

Iain Hume

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Smith was staying up the Sketchley Grange when he signed on loan for us, after that Derby game and 14 pints I called up the hotel and asked to be patched through to his room which he wasn't in, so I asked to be put through to the bar and just shouted SMUDGER SMUDGER SMUDGER down the phone at him. 

Always wondered why he never signed permanently.. 

• Haha 1

One of my favourite players in a largely mediocre team. He did give it everything. His life threatening injury after he left us was a total disgrace, the referee basically let it go and I can’t believe the FA swept it under the carpet. Hume should have taken Morgan to court. 

Unfortunately, my overriding memory of Hume playing was of him missing that sitter in the final horrendous game at Stoke and a couple of one on ones in a home game a few weeks earlier against Bristol City.

I can’t remember if Fryatt was injured at the end of that season, but Holloway didn’t play them together that much which I believe cost us. Howard, who again I rated, was in favour, maybe after the hat trick he netted at the Hawthorns earlier. 

Sad that he was stitched up by the club, but glad he was able to keep playing until a couple of years ago. 

10 hours ago, manders86 said:

Also whilst trying to find out if that's true, just look at this team I stumbled across from that era. Absolutely gross, its almost unbelievable to think of how far we've come!

LEICESTER CITY: Henderson 7 - Stearman 6, Gerrbrand 6, Kisnorbo 6, Johansson 5 - Maybury 6, Hughes 7 (A Welsh, 71mins), Williams 7, *GUDJONSSON 8 - Hume 7, Fryatt 7 (Brevett 88mins).

To think that many on here consider that our current RW options are sub-standard, when there was a time not that long ago when we were playing Alan Maybury in that position!!!lol

2 hours ago, LC/FC said:

The 3 Paddy's. Kisnorbo, McCarthy and Gerrbrand.

What horrible Levein flashbacks...

That was during the time Birch was reading out the players first names as the team announcement, encouraging the fans to shout the surnames in response. The amount of times the fans tripped over Patrick McCarthy/Kisnorbo was great.

• Haha 1

Has anyone taken the time to go back and watch 90 minutes of us back then and compare it to now? 

I might have to pull out an old game just to see the difference. 

I still don’t think I’ve seen worse football than with Puel at times. Even with the dross we had they at least tried to score every now and then. 

imagine puels  reaction to all of joeys long range efforts. “Not from the halfway line Joey... more intensiteee”

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

That was during the time Birch was reading out the players first names as the team announcement, encouraging the fans to shout the surnames in response. The amount of times the fans tripped over Patrick McCarthy/Kisnorbo was great.

Shame he never did it whenever we had about 5 Steve's at the club lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Has anyone taken the time to go back and watch 90 minutes of us back then and compare it to now? 

I still don’t think I’ve seen worse football than with Puel at times. Even with the dross we had they at least tried to score every now and then. 

imagine puels  reaction to all of joeys long range efforts. “Not from the halfway line Joey... more intensiteee”

You used to just be so chuffed to see us score one.

39 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I think I'd take any time in the club's history over watching 90 minutes of us under Gary Megson.

3 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

When he was moved to CB, Kisnorbo was class. I loved Joey Gudjonsson. His last game for us was an emotional day. Can't really knock Fryatt and Hume either. Rare rays of sunshine in a dark time.

I love Matty fryatt. He was great here and a genuine goalscorer. His finishing was high premiership level he was just missing a few key components in his skillset to be a regular top-flight footballer. Unlucky with injuries too 

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 2

One of the stand out players of the time. I was gutted when he left and it saddens me the way the club at the time treated him. 

if he could have stayed when we were relegated, his passion, work rate would have been a massive asset in League One and the sort of player that Pearson would have loved. Very Jamie Vardy like in a way. Wow, now there would have been a combo. 

Also, changes my opinion of Holloway a little, seems like he was another that was stitched up from the players that were bought at the time. 

As fans, we loved Hume as much as he loved the club.

Also shows how far we’ve come and how lucky we are that an unknown Thai group bought our beloved club after all this. 

Edited by fox_favourite

6 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

One of the stand out players of the time. I was gutted when he left and it saddens me the way the club at the time treated him. 

if he could have stayed when we were relegated, his passion, work rate would have been a massive asset in League One and the sort of player that Pearson would have loved. Very Jamie Vardy like in a way. Wow, now there would have been a combo. 

Also, changes my opinion of Holloway a little, seems like he was another that was stitched up from the players that were bought at the time. 

Also shows how far we’ve come and how lucky we are that an unknown Thai group bought our beloved club after all this. 

How good was that Howard fryatt partnership though :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I love Matty fryatt. He was great here and a genuine goalscorer. His finishing was high premiership level he was just missing a few key components in his skillset to be a regular top-flight footballer. Unlucky with injuries too 

He had some genuinely superb moments for us didn't he. I'm also convinced that he was always out of form when he needed a hair cut and then was brilliant after he'd had a trim.

1 minute ago, ALC Fox said:

He had some genuinely superb moments for us didn't he. I'm also convinced that he was always out of form when he needed a hair cut and then was brilliant after he'd had a trim.

It’s very rare to have a forward that you pretty much know is guaranteed to score if he gets a one-on-one or half-chance in/around the box. Fryatt’s side-foot finishing was brilliant 

3 hours ago, BoyJones said:

One of my favourite players in a largely mediocre team. He did give it everything. His life threatening injury after he left us was a total disgrace, the referee basically let it go and I can’t believe the FA swept it under the carpet. Hume should have taken Morgan to court. 

Unfortunately, my overriding memory of Hume playing was of him missing that sitter in the final horrendous game at Stoke and a couple of one on ones in a home game a few weeks earlier against Bristol City.

I can’t remember if Fryatt was injured at the end of that season, but Holloway didn’t play them together that much which I believe cost us. Howard, who again I rated, was in favour, maybe after the hat trick he netted at the Hawthorns earlier. 

Sad that he was stitched up by the club, but glad he was able to keep playing until a couple of years ago. 

I remember that Bristol city game, we absolutely battered them!! But 0:0 if I remember rightly 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

....all I can remember is him saying "we are not going to go down, we are not going down, there is too much negativity around this place" ....every time he was interviewed!!!

I think Hulme got it about right, it was a step up for him and he was not up to it. My most disliked manager of all time.

18 hours ago, manders86 said:

Also whilst trying to find out if that's true, just look at this team I stumbled across from that era. Absolutely gross, its almost unbelievable to think of how far we've come!

LEICESTER CITY: Henderson 7 - Stearman 6, Gerrbrand 6, Kisnorbo 6, Johansson 5 - Maybury 6, Hughes 7 (A Welsh, 71mins), Williams 7, *GUDJONSSON 8 - Hume 7, Fryatt 7 (Brevett 88mins).

To think Gudjonsson got a send off like he'd been a European Cup winner with us or something.

None of our title winners got what he did 😂

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Who has 90 minute copies of games from our Championship relegation season hanging around the house?

You sick man

11 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....all I can remember is him saying "we are not going to go down, we are not going down, there is too much negativity around this place" ....every time he was interviewed!!!

I think Hulme got it about right, it was a step up for him and he was not up to it. My most disliked manager of all time.

Holloway was treated like absolute shit here and hung out to dry by Mandaric. And Olly was right, the club was absolutely toxic from top to bottom, some of our home games that year especially were so negative and uncomfortable to be at. He obviously made some mistakes too but I’d firmly lay the blame of relegation mainly at Milan’s door. The players let olly down too in big games.

• Like 1

At the Supporters Club POTY awards in 2011, I spoke with a former club captain, who may or may not have been a former Southampton and Derby player, about Holloway.

When I asked him for his perspective about things under Holloway, he told me that Holloway didn't have a clue! Stopped short of calling him a clown but did not talk fondly about him at all.