Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ultra

OPEN MEETING

About 100 FOXES attended the open meeting last night called by Tim Davies to discuss various issues affecting the atmosphere at the Way this season.

Credit is due to the club for ensuring that representatives of various bodies were present, including the stewards, the police, the Safety Advisory Group and the Football Licensing Authority.

The meeting lasted over two hours, with the bulk of the time predictably being spent on the quality of stewarding. Several of the speakers passed comment on the disparity between the treatment of home and away supporters. The enthusiastic reception these speakers received left the powers that be in no doubt that this is a sizeable bone of contention among many FOXES. The quality of the training which stewards have to undergo (especially the orange jacket brigade, who came in for quite a bit of stick) was also raised.

A Manchester City supporter (who'd travelled all the way from Manchester to be there) raised the issue of discrepancy between safety regulations at football matches and those applicable to rock concerts (with particular reference to the summer's Oasis concerts at the City of Manchester Stadium). The reply given was that this was a matter for the licensing authority, but the point was made that football supporters in the post-Hillsborugh climate are being disadvantaged, and the mood of those present (which admittedly is only a tiny proportion of all FOXES) was that this is not acceptable.

Calls were made for "common sense" to be applied to those standing up at matches, but the response was that the club's hands were tied by ground regulations (which were dictated by government legislation).

A brief attempt was made by Henry (of Post Horn Gallop infamy) to hijack the meeting in order to ensure his potential reintroduction, but although he was treated sympathetically by those present (both club representatives and fans) he was left in no doubt that decisions taken on this issue would NOT be changed.

The matter of the potential switch of Kop and Family Enclosure was raised, but as far as I could gather, no consensus was reached.

I suggested that the club should explore the possibility of unreserved seating for the Kop (as existed at Filbert Street for several seasons until Barrie Pierpoint abolished it), an idea which was warmly received by many at the meeting, but club secretary Andrew Neville replied that this would involve having to cut the capacity of that area by 10%. However, this change was not applied when the policy was in place at Filbert Street and I am not convinced that it would necessarily be applicable now. But unless the club is advised that there is a groundswell of opinion in favour of this move, this question will be academic anyway.

One season-ticket holder expressed disquiet about the level of discounts available at various games, but others (including myself) thanked the club for the policy introduced. As a season-ticket holder myself (in F1) I made the point that I would have preferred to have seen the ground filled with season-ticket holders, but I could understand the reasons why this hadn't been possible, and therefore appreciated the efforts made to attract more to the Way on matchdays.

The meeting ended with Tim Davies and Peter Jones thanking those who had taken the trouble to attend.

If there are any matters I have omitted from the above account, I'm sure Lisa will have spotted them.

We look forward to the club publishing its account of events as requested!

thankyou for the report. very interesting stuff. im glad people turned up (and a big well done to the man city fan!) but its a bit sad Henry is clutching at straws. i didnt like his PHG thing but i just feel sorry for him now. he needs to let go.

If there are any matters I have omitted from the above account, I'm sure Lisa will have spotted them.

An excellent summary of the meeting. I didn't want to do one, as I wouldn't want to be accused of setting my own agenda etc. :o;)

As I didn't attend I obviously not in a position to be too critical and although its a good report there seems to be an absence of actual decisions made to improve things. Lots of discussion and debate noted but no actual decisions on how things will be improved.

Where any decisions actually made?

As I didn't attend I obviously not in a position to be too critical and although its a good report there seems to be an absence of actual decisions made to improve things. Lots of discussion and debate noted but no actual decisions on how things will be improved.

NO.

Only that 'common sense' needs to be used, and to define 'persistent standing' - is it 20 seconds or 20 minutes?

Apart from that, no.

Only that 'common sense' needs to be used, and to define 'persistent standing' - is it 20 seconds or 20 minutes?

Apart from that, no.

This was only ever going to be an opportunity to influence the clubs decision making, I can't see that they are going to actually make any decisions at the meeting. Hopefully they will be having an internal meeting today to review what was said and what they can do to improve things.

Well done to all who attended for making the effort. Lets hope they were listening. The Club have their chance to make a genuine difference to the matchday experience based on feedback from a good number of fans.

I guarantee they'll do **** all. Because quite frankly the clubs can't and probably wouldn't want to anyway. They'll be sorry when there's only 14,000 fans down there and the majority of them are under 8's going free.

Of course why bother - all clubs priorities are messed up in modern football, with the fans at the bottom of the list when they should be top.

Hat's off to you, but it must piss you off when you spend all your time and energy going to these things only to see naff all done about it?

It does a bit, however they did say that they had a lot to think about, and if we see any improvement, no matter how small, it's better than nothing. You have to see the situation as a huge stone, and we have to chip away until we get something that looks pleasing.

It does a bit, however they did say that they had a lot to think about, and if we see any improvement, no matter how small, it's better than nothing. You have to see the situation as a huge stone, and we have to chip away until we get something that looks pleasing.

Absolutely. Nothing ever got changed apathy.

Hat's off to you, but it must piss you off when you spend all your time and energy going to these things only to see naff all done about it?

But that's hardly been a unique experience when visiting our beloved home lately, is it? :ermm:

I thought the club treated us with respect last night, something that hasn't always happened in recent times, on or off the pitch.

While I can understand the scepticism voiced by those not in attendance, I felt the meeting was a step in the right direction.

While I can understand the scepticism voiced by those not in attendance, I felt the meeting was a step in the right direction.

Scepticism from those who did not attend is the key point Ultra.

I'm glad that 199 of the people turned up. Henry should have stayed away.

As Lisa said, a slight change will be an improvement and even slight changes are not going to come from people not taking these opportunities. The reality is that many complain about things but not strongly enough to attend and really make their points to the club.

Thankfully we do have people on the ground who care enough to get involved in what ever way they can.

A Manchester City supporter (who'd travelled all the way from Manchester to be there) raised the issue of discrepancy between safety regulations at football matches and those applicable to rock concerts (with particular reference to the summer's Oasis concerts at the City of Manchester Stadium). The reply given was that this was a matter for the licensing authority, but the point was made that football supporters in the post-Hillsborugh climate are being disadvantaged, and the mood of those present (which admittedly is only a tiny proportion of all FOXES) was that this is not acceptable.

The guy from Manchester was the representative from Stand Up, Sit Down that we asked to attend

Scepticism from those who did not attend is the key point Ultra.

I'm glad that 199 of the people turned up. Henry should have stayed away.

As Lisa said, a slight change will be an improvement and even slight changes are not going to come from people not taking these opportunities. The reality is that many complain about things but not strongly enough to attend and really make their points to the club.

Thankfully we do have people on the ground who care enough to get involved in what ever way they can.

Don't be so judgemental. Some of us have to work. I would certainly have been there otherwise even though, from everything I've read, any input of mine would have been pointless.

I'd already outlined my views on this forum - which is well enough read by the City staff and stewards so they would have been conveyed to the club - and much of what I had to say would have been echoed by others at the meeting as was obvious from Folkestalk thread to start with and from the report afterwards.

Two hundred was a decent turnout and more than enough to convey the range of opinions. Would you have wished that 10,000 turned up and the meeting continued all night going over the same points?.

Had 10 turned up then a charge of apathy would have been understandable. But 200 was plenty. You just SOUND as if you want to feel smug for having attended. That you did attend does you credit but how that gives you the right to call all the rest of us sceptics I don't understand.

I suppose you'd expect all the fans who are night nurses to say bugger the shift we'll nip down the Walkers for a chin wag.

Well actually I don't expect you'd say that for one minute - you've always seeemed like a passionate but caring individual to me and I have great respect for you - but it just makes the point that not EVERYONE is able to attend these gatherings whether they want to or not.

Don't be so judgemental. Some of us have to work. I would certainly have been there otherwise even though, from everything I've read, any input of mine would have been pointless.

I'd already outlined my views on this forum - which is well enough read by the City staff and stewards so they would have been conveyed to the club - and much of what I had to say would have been echoed by others at the meeting as was obvious from Folkestalk thread to start with and from the report afterwards.

Two hundred was a decent turnout and more than enough to convey the range of opinions. Would you have wished that 10,000 turned up and the meeting continued all night going over the same points?.

Had 10 turned up then a charge of apathy would have been understandable. But 200 was plenty. You just SOUND as if you want to feel smug for having attended. That you did attend does you credit but how that gives you the right to call all the rest of us sceptics I don't understand.

I suppose you'd expect all the fans who are night nurses to say bugger the shift we'll nip down the Walkers for a chin wag.

Well actually I don't expect you'd say that for one minute - you've always seeemed like a passionate but caring individual to me and I have great respect for you - but it just makes the point that not EVERYONE is able to attend these gatherings whether they want to or not.

Calm down Thrach,

You'll do yourself a mischief mate and it's you who is being judgemental.

I wasn't there. I think 200 was a good number. I haven't called everyone who didn't attend sceptics, my implication (albeit not well enough put across) was that the biggest sceptics are those who would not attend at any costs. (The name Lush comes to mind and surprisingly to me Ric on this issue)

As I quite clearly said, any change is better than none. I was actually applauding those that went.

(The name Lush comes to mind and surprisingly to me Ric on this issue)

As I quite clearly said, any change is better than none. I was actually applauding those that went.

I thought i`d wait until my name was mentioned...its difficult to approve an ideology that doesnt have a strong base. Nothing has been changed through this meeting, i told you it wouldnt, but you wouldnt listen.

Ultra:

"Calls were made for "common sense" to be applied to those standing up at matches, but the response was that the club's hands were tied by ground regulations (which were dictated by government legislation)."

Im all for change for the better, i`d love it if we could stand, smoke and drink alcohol and gesture to away fans and it not be deemed incitement to violence etc etc, whilst watching our team, BUT as i told Lisa, only through the political process will you change things.

Lets hope that the 200 who went, and those who couldnt, dont see LCFC as blame.

Any change is not necessary better than none, depends what it is.

Now then, whats the MP`s names and constituencies of all the professional football clubs?

Lush, it's just so refreshing to read your lines. With that "I know it all"-attitude, you should run for Prime Minister.

Apart from that, any serious input? Wonder when you'll decide to do something for a change in order to help solve the fan issues around Leicester City FC.

Besides, it's better to start small than not at all. Kudos to the 200 who went to the meeting. There will be more to follow, that's for sure.

Lush, it's just so refreshing to read your lines. With that "I know it all"-attitude, you should run for Prime Minister.

Apart from that, any serious input?

Wonder when you'll decide to do something for a change in order to help solve the fan issues around Leicester City FC.

I was right swisspiss.

Ive expressed my serious input, but you dont read well. Have you got any serious input?

I just may have calmed the atmosphere surrounding this situation, it was alot more tense a week ago. Wonder when you'll decide to do something for a change in order to help solve the fan issues around Leicester City FC. ;)

How about you be positive, rather than negative?

Archived