Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

Meals that made you barf when you were a kid.

21 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Just remembered boil-in-a-bag fish. Don't know whether my Mum used to overcook it but it was always so dry and tasteless. Always took me ages to chew through that stuff.

Sous-vide is considered ‘posh’ these days.

4 minutes ago, Milo said:

Took me years to eat fish after the fvcking awful excuse for it they served up at school. 

The smell, taste and texture of boiled eggs still make me chunder. 

This reminds me of a fish dinner we had on a boys brigade camp when I was a kid. They took us all sea fishing on a boat one day, we brought our catch back and stored it in a metal bath next to the toilet block. Then after a few days I over heard one of the leaders saying “we need to eat the fish as it’s starting to smell”. Next night the leaders spent some time gutting and preparing and cooking the fish while another one went and fetched chips for about 30 kids. Surprisingly I can’t remember the fish tasting bad but it just goes to show how things are different nowadays to years ago.

Imagine your kid coming home from a hot weeks summer camp and saying he ate 4 days old fish that had been stored in a tin bath next to the toilet block lol 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2022 at 11:23, davieG said:

Cooked Marrow

Cooked celery

Tried tripe, gorgonzola cheese  ugh!!

yes yes yes to all. Also back in the day my lovely mum discovered curry powder (the really cheap nasty english made crap) and put it into everything like meat pies and shepherds pie- even now I can smell and taste it and feel violated 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Cooked corn beef. Yuk.

The best place for it is cold in a sandwich with brown sauce. 

Cornbeef hash used to be 1 of my staples as a kid loved it with beans or peas but not had it really as an adult as my kids not keen.
The corned beef out the can would be cooked off & shredded & then mixed into mashed potato not like the big lumps & mini roasties it seems to be made nowadays in a cafe or via recipe books, that way every mouthful was more velvety & the cooked corned beef didn't seem as pungent.

I do like a corned beef sanger with a bit of brown as well

One or two have already mentioned the curries that parents and schools served up in the late 70s early 80s. Absolutely revolting with currants in as well the one my mum made. I remember having my first Asian Curry when I was about 18 and could not believe the rubbish I’d been told was a curry prior to that. 

10 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

One or two have already mentioned the curries that parents and schools served up in the late 70s early 80s. Absolutely revolting with currants in as well the one my mum made. I remember having my first Asian Curry when I was about 18 and could not believe the rubbish I’d been told was a curry prior to that. 

Oh yeah, school dinner chicken "curry" was rank. Yellow slop with raisins, wet rice slop and overcooked chicken bits. I was dreading my first Indian takeaway when I was a kid, and was so relieved it shared nothing in common with the shit at school!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Cornbeef hash used to be 1 of my staples as a kid loved it with beans or peas but not had it really as an adult as my kids not keen.
The corned beef out the can would be cooked off & shredded & then mixed into mashed potato not like the big lumps & mini roasties it seems to be made nowadays in a cafe or via recipe books, that way every mouthful was more velvety & the cooked corned beef didn't seem as pungent.

I do like a corned beef sanger with a bit of brown as well

The smell alone makes me feel bad. 

However it seems your kids were brought up well even if you are a wrong un 

lol 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was very finicky as a kid. Couldnt abide chicken/turkey and stuffing, egg-white, kidneys and bacon fat. Any gristle got pushed to the side of the plate. Don't care for celery but I can eat it.

I did like liver but I once saw a blood vessel in a piece and that threw me right off it. I ate a pig's trotter once - took several bottles of beer to flush it down. 

I do like roll-mops and sauerkraut!