Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

Meals that made you barf when you were a kid.

The 'curry' served at my primary school was basically a few lumps of indeterminate meat with carrots and raisins, covered in a puddle of thin brown liquid. I thought at the time that I hated curry. Fortunately life would eventually teach me otherwise...

• Like 1

Cold egg sandwiches.   I like fried egg sandwiches but the boiled egg sandwiches want make me want to die inside.  

The taste and smell both are vile.  I have no respect for people who eat it in the public.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Chinese food and other similar cuisines. Basically anything with soy sauce or fermented stuff. Yuk. 

There’s so much more to Chinese food than the fermented and soy sauce stuff. The hardcore MSG meals like Singapore noodles and salt and pepper ribs are where the real action is.

Edited by ClaphamFox

7 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

I think the two worst meals were cauliflower cheese, and liver n onions. Even now I couldn't really eat cauliflower cheese, and would find it hard to eat liver.

I remember I didn't like most vegetables (apart from peas and carrots), but happily eat veg now.

Cooked well both are beautiful. Especially liver, mistake many make is overcooking it. 

First time I tried the limes with my popadoms in an Indian I nearly gagged. I didn’t mention it to anyone as I thought someone had barfed in one of the little pots put it back and the restaurant hadn’t noticed and served it up again, I didn’t want to be known as the lad who ate puke. it was that kind of late night place lol 

I’ve had them since and don’t mind them now.

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Just remembered boil-in-a-bag fish. Don't know whether my Mum used to overcook it but it was always so dry and tasteless. Always took me ages to chew through that stuff.

I reckon this is a common theme amongst those of us of a certain age. Especially with exotic dishes like boil in the bag fish, rice and pasta lol 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pSinatra said:

Anything my nanna used to give us.  She grew up in the Great Depression, lived through rationing & she never really snapped out of it.  Pigs knuckles, cow heel, tripe, tongue.  A mug of cabbage water with your dinner?

Thank you.

Post after post of fussy whining and finally a genuine contribution. My Dad used to cook this nonsense - and would even order tripe in restaurants. Evil, foul-smelling nonsense.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Thank you.

Post after post of fussy whining and finally a genuine contribution. My Dad used to cook this nonsense - and would even order tripe in restaurants. Evil, foul-smelling nonsense.

We gave our dog tripe once when I was a kid, never gone near the stuff since, as you said foul smelling stuff. 

12 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

We gave our dog tripe once when I was a kid, never gone near the stuff since, as you said foul smelling stuff. 

I was outside doing some gardening a few years back and saw the next door neighbour over the fence, who had his back door and all the windows open. He said he'd just fed his dog tripe for the first time and it was farting such aromas they had to evacuate the house lol 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Thick mango juice from a tin. I didn't like hot milk either.

Milk has to be ice cold for me, I think it goes back to school and the warm milk they served up there. To be honest, I know it won’t be a popular opinion but many of us kiddies were glad when thatcher snatched our milk lol 

• Like 1