Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lako42

Tour De France 2022

Since I've been watching the TdF (forty-odd years now), I've become used to, and jaded by, the absence of the real 'mano-a-mano' individualism that  personified Grand Tour cycling. I think it started with Armstrong and his win at all costs bullying of the competition and his own crew. Then came Sky with its own at whatever the cost. It got very tedious during the Froome years.

But Pogacar doesn't protect himself. He's been willing to take on all-comers on his tod. Yesterday he got mauled by a concerted attack by Jumbo-Visma. That was the most enthralling stage I've seen for a long time.

Yet he was graceful in 'defeat' and appeared smiling in his post race ITV4 interview. He may very well bounce back today. But his dominance of the last two Tours has been broken, and his fightback and Jumbo-Visma's defence of their lead and leader will be enthralling and fascinating. 

• Like 4

Pogacar is a champ. Just after crossing the line yesterday, he went straight to Vingegaard and congratulated him on the win with a smile. Then in an interview afterwards, the interviewer asks him if he is looking forward to revenge this stage, and he says that he is looking forward to race. I actually think, that Pogacar is encouraged by finally having someone, who can proper challenge him. He is annoyingly good, but you have to admire his attitude.

Think the Tour will be a little more boring now with Jumbo Visma taking full control. Expect them to let a break away cruise away and forcing Pogacar to wait with the attacks until the last climb. But its a new age in cycling, so you never know.

Definitely intriguing seeing Pogacar being sort of human after all.

• Like 1

Finally.........................

I had been waiting years for yesterday. 

I was getting so sick and tired of seeing the same old GC (only in name) riders failing to do anything on the mountain stages other than getting dropped and gapped. Thanks the lord for JV. 

Yesterday was a brutal, genuine bike racing and it was a spectacle. 

A special mention to BBC 5Live, give a warning that you are about to blurt out the winner of the stage on my drive home you ****ing idiots. 

Edited by Lako42
  • Like 1

Pidcock seems like a cool character too. 'Not bad is it...?' after winning on the Alpe d'Huez in his first Tour.  Also the other day, when van Aert did some super human stuff, Pidcock went 'he is taking the piss isn't he?'. :D Vingegaard is a very boring introvert family guy compared.