Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rachhere

Fitted wardrobes

Hello!

We have been saving for a while to get fitted wardrobes put our bedroom. I think we comfortably have enough saved now, but I have been procrastinating over it as it's a big investment and I don't want to get it wrong. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any advice based on their experience? I know fitted wardrobes aren't for everyone, but I think they will suit our space well (high ceilings, but with complexities like sloped ceilings and a beam which we will have to navigate).

I have already concluded that we are best to give the likes of Sharps a wide berth, and have been looking at local suppliers. A friend mentioned she was in Howdens looking at kitchens and their fitted wardrobe range looked really good, so any thoughts on Howdens at all would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has had any quotes recently to help give us some kind of indicator of prices - I think we are looking at something along the lines of 3 x double wardrobes worth. I know that taking Ikea PAX wardrobes and adapting them into fitted wardrobes is a bit of a thing, but I couldn't find anyone local to us (West Mids) promoting that they offer this. 

Thanks in advance! 

9 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Hello!

We have been saving for a while to get fitted wardrobes put our bedroom. I think we comfortably have enough saved now, but I have been procrastinating over it as it's a big investment and I don't want to get it wrong. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any advice based on their experience? I know fitted wardrobes aren't for everyone, but I think they will suit our space well (high ceilings, but with complexities like sloped ceilings and a beam which we will have to navigate).

I have already concluded that we are best to give the likes of Sharps a wide berth, and have been looking at local suppliers. A friend mentioned she was in Howdens looking at kitchens and their fitted wardrobe range looked really good, so any thoughts on Howdens at all would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has had any quotes recently to help give us some kind of indicator of prices - I think we are looking at something along the lines of 3 x double wardrobes worth. I know that taking Ikea PAX wardrobes and adapting them into fitted wardrobes is a bit of a thing, but I couldn't find anyone local to us (West Mids) promoting that they offer this. 

Thanks in advance! 

I've fitted floor to ceiling pax carcases along with spacepro doors, cost about £1200 per 4m with all the drawers and stuff, though you're probably going to have to double that if you get someone in to do them. Good quality 18mm mdf so they're solid, but you have to do a bit of working out,as it's not much use if a sliding door stops a drawer opening . Hammonds and Howdens are both decent for made to measure fitted stuff.

We had ours done in 2019 (bedroom and dining room alcove units). Cost about £3k in total. I can recommend Thorne Woodworking, very knowledgeable and quality work. He's in Leicestershire though, but definitely worth a look for anyone else in Leics who is thinking of having them done.

Advice I was given was ensure you get a company who will ask you to get the carpet taken up as some fitters install them on top of carpet and this can lead to them warping over time and it not being easy to change carpet in future if you need to.

In the end I went with Sharps as they weren’t too different in price after we’d got through all of the haggling and their horrendously outdated sales process. Happy to provide further advice on this if needed.

In the end I was very happy with the outcome.

On 14/11/2022 at 18:01, yorkie1999 said:

I've fitted floor to ceiling pax carcases along with spacepro doors, cost about £1200 per 4m with all the drawers and stuff, though you're probably going to have to double that if you get someone in to do them. Good quality 18mm mdf so they're solid, but you have to do a bit of working out,as it's not much use if a sliding door stops a drawer opening . Hammonds and Howdens are both decent for made to measure fitted stuff.

Thanks for this! I see you can get spacepro doors at Wickes. That sounds a decent price overall! Definitely worth looking into further. 

On 14/11/2022 at 19:13, Libertine said:

We had ours done in 2019 (bedroom and dining room alcove units). Cost about £3k in total. I can recommend Thorne Woodworking, very knowledgeable and quality work. He's in Leicestershire though, but definitely worth a look for anyone else in Leics who is thinking of having them done.

Thanks for sharing that. The quality of their work looks great - I have looked at so many local independent companies, but the fitted wardrobes in their galleries just really aren't that inspiring! 

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Advice I was given was ensure you get a company who will ask you to get the carpet taken up as some fitters install them on top of carpet and this can lead to them warping over time and it not being easy to change carpet in future if you need to.

In the end I went with Sharps as they weren’t too different in price after we’d got through all of the haggling and their horrendously outdated sales process. Happy to provide further advice on this if needed.

In the end I was very happy with the outcome.

That's interesting. I love the look of what Sharp have to offer, but am always put off thinking they will be super expensive. It sounds like it would be worth getting a quote, and I am guessing they will have offers in the new year. Thanks for the advice about the carpet - I was wondering how to navigate that. We inherited the carpet we have got at the moment - it's a weird pink colour and I am sure will clash with what we choose - probably time to get a new carpet as well!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Thanks for this! I see you can get spacepro doors at Wickes. That sounds a decent price overall! Definitely worth looking into further. 

Thanks for sharing that. The quality of their work looks great - I have looked at so many local independent companies, but the fitted wardrobes in their galleries just really aren't that inspiring! 

That's interesting. I love the look of what Sharp have to offer, but am always put off thinking they will be super expensive. It sounds like it would be worth getting a quote, and I am guessing they will have offers in the new year. Thanks for the advice about the carpet - I was wondering how to navigate that. We inherited the carpet we have got at the moment - it's a weird pink colour and I am sure will clash with what we choose - probably time to get a new carpet as well!

Sharp’s always have a half price sale on. Whatever you think the price will be from what you can see at first glance, with a bit of back and forth it will end up being about half or two-thirds.

They will have a ‘designer’ (sales rep) come to your house to price up options and quote and you can negotiate that down. A lot of the process is paper-based which surprised me. This is why I referred to a pretty outdated sales process.

@rachhere

DONT DO IT YOURSELF!!!

Sharps wardrobes are as much an investment for your house as a decent boiler.

Fitted properly looks amazing, but done on the cheap.... looks, umm.... cheap!

There are some things I wouldn't dream of doing myself in my house- carpet laying, plumbing, electrics, plastering and anything permanent I would leave to a tradesman.

5 hours ago, filthyfox said:

@rachhere

DONT DO IT YOURSELF!!!

There are some things I wouldn't dream of doing myself in my house- carpet laying, plumbing, electrics, plastering and anything permanent I would leave to a tradesman.

That all depends on if you know what you're doing or not.

5 hours ago, filthyfox said:

@rachhere

DONT DO IT YOURSELF!!!

Ha there’s no chance whatsoever of us taking it on ourselves! 

I had a local carpenter do ours…. We have a walk in wardrobe, so we’re able to keep it open…. We had fitted draws the works and it looks cracking in a moisture resistant MDF (wood can warp if it’s anywhere near water)

Happy to share his details if you like, the price was very reasonable 

i always wince when I hear Sharps or Dolphin bathrooms…. Local tradesman will do things just as well at a fraction of the price 

• Like 2

On 14/11/2022 at 17:38, rachhere said:

Hello!

Thanks in advance! 

Unless you've already chosen, may I suggest Hammonds of Hinckley?

Local family based and very successful and well liked with high spec.

Howden's are essentially a timber merchant originally but have expanded into other areas. Personally, I'd go for a dedicated interior design/fit company.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Hammonds. Only basing my post on things I've heard said about the company.

Edited by Parafox

23 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I had a local carpenter do ours…. We have a walk in wardrobe, so we’re able to keep it open…. We had fitted draws the works and it looks cracking in a moisture resistant MDF (wood can warp if it’s anywhere near water)

Happy to share his details if you like, the price was very reasonable 

i always wince when I hear Sharps or Dolphin bathrooms…. Local tradesman will do things just as well at a fraction of the price 

I would love a walk in wardrobe! I think our bedroom was originally two rooms which has been converted into one, so technically I think there would be space to put up a wall partition and make a wardrobe, but at the same time the openness of the room is great. 

Thanks for the offer - we are in the west mids, so probably a bit far for your local carpenter (assuming your location is still the same). 

I have to say that's my general reaction to Sharps as well, although their brochure pics always look so much better than you get on an independents website!

12 hours ago, Parafox said:

Unless you've already chosen, may I suggest Hammonds of Hinckley?

Local family based and very successful and well liked with high spec.

Howden's are essentially a timber merchant originally but have expanded into other areas. Personally, I'd go for a dedicated interior design/fit company.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Hammonds. Only basing my post on things I've heard said about the company.

Oh thank you! I have never heard of Hammonds of Hinckley, but it looks like they have a showroom less than 4 miles from us! I will definitely check them out.

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Oh thank you! I have never heard of Hammonds of Hinckley, but it looks like they have a showroom less than 4 miles from us! I will definitely check them out.

Hammonds have been going for around 50 years, my dad worked for them for 40 years! 

They are expensive but having had them fitted in my current house (perk of the old man working for them) they are brilliant. The fitters are some of the best around. 

6 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Hammonds have been going for around 50 years, my dad worked for them for 40 years! 

They are expensive but having had them fitted in my current house (perk of the old man working for them) they are brilliant. The fitters are some of the best around. 

That's a sign of a great company if you have staff who commit their whole working lives them! 

• Like 1

It wouldn't be a suitable solution if you want proper fitted wardrobes but, we've converted a bedroom into a dressing room. Kitted it out using a racking system bought on amazon, 9' x 11' room for around £200. Would highly recommend if you're not going for a fully fitted option. 

3 hours ago, rachhere said:

I would love a walk in wardrobe! I think our bedroom was originally two rooms which has been converted into one, so technically I think there would be space to put up a wall partition and make a wardrobe, but at the same time the openness of the room is great. 

Thanks for the offer - we are in the west mids, so probably a bit far for your local carpenter (assuming your location is still the same). 

I have to say that's my general reaction to Sharps as well, although their brochure pics always look so much better than you get on an independents website!

Yep…. I’m not sure Nathan would venture out that far…. Sorry!

we designed our room from scratch, so made it work (loft conversion), but I would trade a nice open room for a walk in wardrobe…!