Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alfie.meadsy

Railways strikes still going on…

With no end to them anytime soon. How has rail strikes affected you for me it has affected going to the footy and also going to work. And on a side note I just want to say EMR need to get their act together and clean the trains properly!!! East Midlands Trains were much better than EMR. 

21 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's bullshit, but we've got no choice sadly. We can't accept the 9% they've offered when they're hacking away at the T&Cs are the same time, we'll all end up worse off, the new starters will be ****ed for their entire careers and even other perks we have atm they want to cut.

Think we've done about 14 days striking so far, I've lost probably around 8 shifts pay (as well as overtime bans), which is a lot but I'd do a month if it meant protecting T&Cs for myself, colleagues and future generations.

I stick with the job because I do enjoy it, I've trained for it and I'm actually pretty passionate about it. I've seen the safety cuts with my own eyes and I truly believe that we're only another few years of cuts away from another major railway incident which causes many deaths.

It has ruined Palace away for me though :frusty:

Do you work on the railway I’m guessing. I’m hopefully going to start working soon. 

21 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's bullshit, but we've got no choice sadly. We can't accept the 9% they've offered when they're hacking away at the T&Cs are the same time, we'll all end up worse off, the new starters will be ****ed for their entire careers and even other perks we have atm they want to cut.

Think we've done about 14 days striking so far, I've lost probably around 8 shifts pay (as well as overtime bans), which is a lot but I'd do a month if it meant protecting T&Cs for myself, colleagues and future generations.

I stick with the job because I do enjoy it, I've trained for it and I'm actually pretty passionate about it. I've seen the safety cuts with my own eyes and I truly believe that we're only another few years of cuts away from another major railway incident which causes many deaths.

It has ruined Palace away for me though :frusty:

Good on you, man. Stick with it and fingers crossed there can be a resolution sooner rather than later. 

Genuinely believe a majority of the population support all of the strike action, and rightly so. 

• Like 4

Well if MP's stopped giving themselves raises whenever they feel like it then maybe there wouldn't be any cuts on the railways. Also be interested to know how much money is going to spent on that coronation... going to knock the gourverment a few million back, a few million which could solve a few issues within the working industry at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Well if MP's stopped giving themselves raises whenever they feel like it then maybe there wouldn't be any cuts on the railways. Also be interested to know how much money is going to spent on that coronation... going to knock the gourverment a few million back, a few million which could solve a few issues within the working industry at the moment.

I'm no MP apologist, and I may be misinformed here, but I seem to recall that MPs generally have their pay independently reviewed and the 'done thing' is to mirror the average public sector pay increase. 

Considering that very often the higher earners in private sector will give themselves far larger percentage rises than the rank and file workers, I'm not sure their (usually circa) 2 or 3% pay rise is really an issue here; especially as the railworkers have been offered 9% (although I do understand the strike isn't just over pay but also conditions, safety, perks etc etc)

There's an interesting debate here and clouding it with criticising a small (possibly sub-inflation) pay-rise for MPs (many of whom are hardworking people) who I believe are still sub £100k p/a (where not lining their pockets with book deals and pay-for-speech nonsense) is unhelpful.

I might add to the rail strikes. That they are potentially going to have a lot of people redundant if they still insist on ticket office closures, buffet counter closures and DOO (Driver Only Operation). In my opinion it is ridiculous as I would not be comfortable going on a train from London to Edinburgh without a guard on board.