Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alf Bentley

Europe 2023-24: who do you want to qualify?

As a distraction from the relegation struggle and being realistic, who do you WANT to qualify for Europe next season?

Not who you THINK will qualify, as that's too depressing....

Here's a handy explanation of the qualification system: https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

I'm going.....

Champion's League

Arsenal (PL winners)

Man City (PL runners-up, while also cocking up CL again)

Brighton (3rd in PL)

Villa (4th in PL)

Europa League

Newcastle (5th in PL)

Sheffield Utd (FA Cup winners)

West Ham (Europa Conference League winners, while also getting relegated)

Europa Conference League

Man Utd (League Cup winners, while also cocking up EL this year - 6th in PL no good for EL qualification due to Sheff Utd winning FA Cup) :cool:

"Big" 6 failing to qualify at all

Chelsea

Liverpool

Spurs :yesyes:

Edited by Alf Bentley
To take the piss out of Chelsea, Liverpool & Spurs

Brighton deserve Europa League at a minimum based on their savvy recruitment and upward trajectory. 

Be funny if Newcastle didn't get top 4. So many were adamant they'd get it at the start of the season and be amusing to see them scrap it out in Europa. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Wrexham

They played in Europe years ago, didn't they? Cup-Winners' Cup? Ineligible now due to playing in English pyramid and not in Welsh Cup?

I assume they could only now qualify for Europe via PL, FAC or EFL Cup, which isn't happening this year......maybe they'll be competing for the PL title with the Geordies in 4 years....:whistle:

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

As a distraction from the relegation struggle and being realistic, who do you WANT to qualify for Europe next season?

Not who you THINK will qualify, as that's too depressing....

Here's a handy explanation of the qualification system: https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

I'm going.....

Champion's League

Arsenal (PL winners)

Man City (PL runners-up, while also cocking up CL again)

Brighton (3rd in PL)

Villa (4th in PL)

Europa League

Newcastle (5th in PL)

Sheffield Utd (FA Cup winners)

West Ham (Europa Conference League winners, while also getting relegated)

Europa Conference League

Man Utd (League Cup winners, while also cocking up EL this year - 6th in PL no good for EL qualification due to Sheff Utd winning FA Cup) :cool:

"Big" 6 failing to qualify at all

Chelsea

Liverpool

Spurs :yesyes:

Villa if they make it to the europa league could very well be favourites seeing emeri's record. Brighton deserve it to, how Spurs are even near the top four is beyond. Press would panic if only one London club qualifies for Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Larne FC to get to the champions league group stage.

I'll second that emotion.

When I was aged 8, we went on our family holiday to Ireland via the Stranraer-Larne ferry. Stranraer immediately became my Scottish team. Shoot football magazine had an advert inviting punters to send off for enamel badges of any English or Scottish football team. I duly sent off to order a Stranraer badge. I got a reply saying they didn't do that one, a disillusioning revelation of the dishonesty of the commercial world.

I didn't form the same attachment to Larne for some reason (probably because they weren't mentioned in the football results) but am all in favour of them making the CL group stage. In the unlikely event that it happens, I might even quit Leicester and become a fair-weather Larne fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'll second that emotion.

When I was aged 8, we went on our family holiday to Ireland via the Stranraer-Larne ferry. Stranraer immediately became my Scottish team. Shoot football magazine had an advert inviting punters to send off for enamel badges of any English or Scottish football team. I duly sent off to order a Stranraer badge. I got a reply saying they didn't do that one, a disillusioning revelation of the dishonesty of the commercial world.

I didn't form the same attachment to Larne for some reason (probably because they weren't mentioned in the football results) but am all in favour of them making the CL group stage. In the unlikely event that it happens, I might even quit Leicester and become a fair-weather Larne fan.

Ha, I was kind of same for Stranraer. Wasnt a fan of Larne but like how they've given things a shake up albeit with money.

• Like 1