Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milo

EV Charger question

Question for all you EV owners out there. 

I’ve recently had my home charger fitted, and I’m struggling a bit. 

Or I may just be being really thick.  

My car is set to receive 80% charge max unless I set it to long range 100%. I assume that this is fairly standard. 

My new wall charger is telling me it can’t charge the car to 100%, as the car settings are set to 80%. 

So it charges the car to 80%…but that appears to be only 80% of the cars 80%. So in effect it’s only charging to 64%! 

The range on mine isn’t brilliant, but an 80% charge from

a public charge point will get me about 165 miles of range. My overnight charging is stopping at 130 miles. 

The app for the charger (Ohme Pro) doesn’t seem to give me any options. 

Any ideas?! 

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Question for all you EV owners out there. 

I’ve recently had my home charger fitted, and I’m struggling a bit. 

Or I may just be being really thick.  

My car is set to receive 80% charge max unless I set it to long range 100%. I assume that this is fairly standard. 

My new wall charger is telling me it can’t charge the car to 100%, as the car settings are set to 80%. 

So it charges the car to 80%…but that appears to be only 80% of the cars 80%. So in effect it’s only charging to 64%! 

The range on mine isn’t brilliant, but an 80% charge from

a public charge point will get me about 165 miles of range. My overnight charging is stopping at 130 miles. 

The app for the charger (Ohme Pro) doesn’t seem to give me any options. 

Any ideas?! 

What are the options on the charger? I only know about the chargers at work - charge level is set by the car and it just stops taking charge when it reaches the set level - the charger doesn't control anything as far as I can tell

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Thanks 1

You should be alright to set the car to take 100% charge.

I presume you're charging to 80% to protect the battery life?

But normally, cars will rapid charge to 80%, then trickle charge the last 20% for the exact reason of protecting battery life.

56 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You should be alright to set the car to take 100% charge.

I presume you're charging to 80% to protect the battery life?

But normally, cars will rapid charge to 80%, then trickle charge the last 20% for the exact reason of protecting battery life.

Everything I’ve read said only charge to 100% for long journeys, and not day to day stuff. 

I’ll have a play around. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Milo said:

Everything I’ve read said only charge to 100% for long journeys, and not day to day stuff. 

I’ll have a play around. 

Generally the cars start to limit charge speed after 80% but you should be ok at home as it would probably charge at a max of 7KWHs.

My advice would be not to set the car charger to anything specific and just use the EV Charger app. I’ve had issues with the Ford app and my Zappi app conflicting causing similar issues.

Energy wise, have you gone on an EV tariff? Getting 80% charge every night is going to cost you a fortune!

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Generally the cars start to limit charge speed after 80% but you should be ok at home as it would probably charge at a max of 7KWHs.

My advice would be not to set the car charger to anything specific and just use the EV Charger app. I’ve had issues with the Ford app and my Zappi app conflicting causing similar issues.

Energy wise, have you gone on an EV tariff? Getting 80% charge every night is going to cost you a fortune!

Haha - it’s a good point. I won’t be charging every night. Just when I need to. 

I’m already with Octopus and happily they seem to have the best rates. As far as I can work out, the app takes over and charges when the rates are cheapest. 9.5p per kWh, apparently. 

Still a bit more involved than I expected, though. 

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Haha - it’s a good point. I won’t be charging every night. Just when I need to. 

I’m already with Octopus and happily they seem to have the best rates. As far as I can work out, the app takes over and charges when the rates are cheapest. 9.5p per kWh, apparently. 

Still a bit more involved than I expected, though. 

Ah good stuff, yeah Octopus is the best at the minute. 

If you don’t use 80% every night though you might be best just using to hours at the cheaper rate rather than going from empty to 80% when you need some.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2023 at 19:06, Milo said:

Ffs :P

Although…

I’ve just changed the car to 100% and the charger to 80%. So we’ll see how that goes 

I have the Ohme and do this, works alright for me. You can override to 100% if need be too via the app this way rather than touching the car settings 

• Thanks 1